Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

vtlec freezes

tpalarz
Beginner
Hi,

I've been having issues with using the graphical vtlec. It completely locks up at certain points and I have to kill the process, corrupting the project file in the process.

I was able to go through the getting started guide and work through all those examples without these issues. The problem happens when I run it on my app.

It seems to run the simulation itself and collect data fine. The issues seem to be with viewing it and navigating around. With the callgraph wizard, it froze after the data collection when it was trying to find symbols for one of the modules. For the sampling wizard, it froze when I double clicked on one of the modules to view the source. I got the following error from eclipse:

SWT SAL error: ExceptionOccurred in the function: CallVoidMethod
Exception in thread "Main Thread" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Argument not valid
at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:3358)
at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:3297)
at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:3268)
at org.eclipse.swt.graphics.GC.drawImage(GC.java:521)
at org.eclipse.swt.graphics.GC.drawImage(GC.java:504)
at com.intel.vtune.idvclibuni.IDVPainterWin.scroll(IDVPainterWin.java:164)
at com.intel.vtune.idvclibuni.IDVDecoration.OnToolCommand(Native Method)
at com.intel.vtune.idvclibuni.IDVDecoration.access$000(IDVDecoration.java:20)
at com.intel.vtune.idvclibuni.IDVDecoration$2.widgetSelected(IDVDecoration.java:106)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent(TypedListener.java:90)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:66)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1085)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:3166)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:2842)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:1914)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:1878)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:419)
at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:149)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.IDEApplication.run(IDEApplication.java:95)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.PlatformActivator$1.run(PlatformActivator.java:78)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:92)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:68)
&n bsp; at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:400)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:177)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:585)
at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:336)

I am able to create and run activities on the command line with vtl. The vtl view command works, though not very useful. I tried packing an activity that worked fine and then importing it into vtlec and again, it freezes when viewing a module.

Also, if somebody could point me at how to fix the corrupt project file, that would be great. The projects I create disappear from the tuning browser after this crash and then when I try to add an activity to that project, it says it can't create project.

Thanks in advance for any help.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
tpalarz
Beginner

Hi,

I haven't gotten any responses here. It freezes up when it's trying to load modules. Any pointers? Is there a log file somewhere that might be useful?

Thanks
0 Kudos
joex26
Beginner
I can confirm this situation:
When trying to see the results of analysis there is no output and I can see these messages:
ava.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Argument not valid
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.forms.widgets.FormTextModel.parseInputStream(FormTextModel.java:114)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.forms.widgets.FormTextModel.parseTaggedText(FormTextModel.java:93)
at org.eclipse.ui.forms.widgets.FormText.setText(FormText.java:661)
at com.intel.vtune.analyzer.samplingconsumer.SamplingConsumerSummary.createPartControl(SamplingConsumerSummary.java:188)
at com.intel.vtune.shell.ChildWindowEditor.createPartControl(ChildWindowEditor.java:230)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorReference.createPartHelper(EditorReference.java:596)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorReference.createPart(EditorReference.java:372)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPartReference.getPart(WorkbenchPartReference.java:566)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorReference.getEditor(EditorReference.java:214)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.busyOpenEditorBatched(WorkbenchPage.java:2595)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.busyOpenEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:2528)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.access$10(WorkbenchPage.java:2520)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage$9.run(WorkbenchPage.java:2505)
at org.eclipse.swt.custom.BusyIndicator.showWhile(BusyIndicator.java:67)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.openEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:2500)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.openEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:2477)
at com.intel.vtune.shell.ShellPlugin.createChildWindow(ShellPlugin.java:1255)
at com.intel.vtune.shell.ShellPlugin.TuningBrowserNavigate(Native Method)
at com.intel.vtune.shell.tuningbrowser.views.TuningBrowserView$4.run(TuningBrowserView.java:320)
at com.intel.vtune.shell.tuningbrowser.views.TuningBrowserView$5.doubleClick(TuningBrowserView.java:328)
at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer$1.run(StructuredViewer.java:796)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:37)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.Platform.run(Platform.java:843)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.JFaceUtil$1.run(JFaceUtil.java:44)
at org.eclipse.jface.util.SafeRunnable.run(SafeRunnable.java:149)
at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer.fireDoubleClick(StructuredViewer.java:794)
at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.AbstractTreeViewer.handleDoubleSelect(AbstractTreeViewer.java:1227)
at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer$4.widgetDefaultSelected(StructuredViewer.java:1158)
at org.eclipse.jface.util.OpenStrategy.fireDefaultSelectionEvent(OpenStrategy.java:223)

0 Kudos
Jackson_M_Intel
Employee
Hello,

Could you please provide the following information:

What OS and "bitness" are you working on, as well as what version of Eclipse are you using?

joex - Are you seeing the symptoms at the same points as tpalarz? i.e. "With the callgraph wizard, it froze after the data collection when it was trying to find symbols for one of the modules. For the sampling wizard, it froze when I double clicked on one of the modules to view the source."

Thanks.
0 Kudos
joex26
Beginner
uname -a
Linux [myname] 2.6.31-20-generic #57-Ubuntu SMP Mon Feb 8 09:02:26 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux
processor is intel centrino vpro (core 2 duo for laptops)
I use GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=true
--------------
Eclipse Platform

Version: 3.2.1.r321_v20060921-b_XVA-INSQSyMtx
Build id: M20060921-0945

Eclipse C/C++ Development Tools

Version: 3.1.1.200609270800
Build id: 200609270800
-------------------------

This error comes when I double click CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.CORE in tuning browser (I wanted to see the graphs).
This is my first touch to VTune so maybe there is another way to see the graphs?

I'm sorry I was not precise. VTune is stable I just cannot see any graphs or speed test data.
I selected "First Use" from start window yesterday. Today I tried > Sampling from start window. It seems it worked ok, but again when doubleclick on CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.CORE this error comes:
Unable to create this part due to an internal error. Reason for the failure: Argument not valid
details:
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Argument not valid
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.forms.widgets.FormTextModel.parseInputStream(FormTextModel.java:114)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.forms.widgets.FormTextModel.parseTaggedText(FormTextModel.java:93)
at org.eclipse.ui.forms.widgets.FormText.setText(FormText.java:661)
at com.intel.vtune.analyzer.samplingconsumer.SamplingConsumerSummary.createPartControl(SamplingConsumerSummary.java:188)
at com.intel.vtune.shell.ChildWindowEditor.createPartControl(ChildWindowEditor.java:230)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorReference.createPartHelper(EditorReference.java:596)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorReference.createPart(EditorReference.java:372)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPartReference.getPart(WorkbenchPartReference.java:566)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorReference.getEditor(EditorReference.java:214)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.busyOpenEditorBatched(WorkbenchPage.java:2595)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.busyOpenEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:2528)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.access$10(WorkbenchPage.java:2520)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage$9.run(WorkbenchPage.java:2505)
at org.eclipse.swt.custom.BusyIndicator.showWhile(BusyIndicator.java:67)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.openEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:2500)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.openEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:2477)
at com.intel.vtune.shell.ShellPlugin.createChildWindow(ShellPlugin.java:1255)
at com.intel.vtune.shell.ShellPlugin.TuningBrowserNavigate(Native Method)
at com.intel.vtune.shell.tuningbrowser.views.TuningBrowserView$4.run(TuningBrowserView.java:320)
at com.intel.vtune.shell.tuningbrowser.views.TuningBrowserView$5.doubleClick(TuningBrowserView.java:328)
at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer$1.run(StructuredViewer.java:796)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:37)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.Platform.run(Platform.java:843)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.JFaceUtil$1.run(JFaceUtil.java:44)
at org.eclipse.jface.util.SafeRunnable.run(SafeRunnable.java:149)
at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer.fireDoubleClick(StructuredViewer.java:794)
at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.AbstractTreeViewer.handleDoubleSelect(AbstractTreeViewer.java:1227)
at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer$4.widgetDefaultSelected(StructuredViewer.java:1158)
at org.eclipse.jface.util.OpenStrategy.fireDefaultSelectionEvent(OpenStrategy.java:223)

Thanks
0 Kudos
Jackson_M_Intel
Employee

The current version of VTune supports Ubuntu* 8.10 and 9.04, kernels2.6.27-7-generic and 2.6.28-11-generic. So it may just be thatthe version is not officially supported.

Onemore thing to check would be if you are using a 64-bit Eclipse. According to the VTune Release Notes ( http://software.intel.com/sites/products/documentation/hpc/vtune/linux/release_notes.htm)"The VTune Analyzer 9.1 for Linux* can be integrated only with the 32 bit version of Eclipse 3.2.1 on Intel 64 systems. Integration into a 64-bit version of Eclipse is not supported."

If that is not the issue you may have to wait for a future release.

0 Kudos
joex26
Beginner
I have Eclipse 3.5.0 and 64-bit version. So it will not work.
Thank you.
0 Kudos