Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

vtune can not get the call stack

Wang_Ruifeng
Beginner

HI, all.        I use vtune to help men get the applicatin call stack, but have some problem.                                                          
     if i do not add the static before the functions, the vtune can't get the call stack of the functions.for example:

if i do not add the static,the vtune will only get two funtion:testa,testb
if add the static,the vtune will get the call stack.  so my question is why the vtune can't get the call stack and the words 'static'  effect it?

my computer configuration:                                                    
 CPU:Intel E5504 2.0G                                     
 OS: Suse 11 Sp1                                          
GGCC: (SUSE Linux) 4.3.4 [gcc-4_3-branch revision 152973]  CC: (SUSE Linux) 4.3.4 [gcc-4_3-branch revision 152973 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Wang_Ruifeng
Beginner

static int testa(int a)                                   
 {

....                                                                                       
 }                                                                                                     
 static int testb(int b)                                   
 {                                                   
    return testa(b)                                        
 }

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Hi Wang:

What compiler options are you using?  Most likely, optimization is inlining the functions and, thus, you won't see call stacks for these functions.

0 Kudos
Wang_Ruifeng
Beginner

if i use the gcc 4.2.4,i can not get the call stack.

but if i use the gcc 4.3.4,i can get the call stack with the same source file and makefile.  why??

0 Kudos