Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

vtune questions

liu_wei67
Beginner

Hi:

When I used vtune to analyze today, I reported an error for no reason and couldn't analyze anything. I killed all vtune-related processes and then restarted vtune, the error is still the same.

and i also source vtune-self-checker.sh,It's the same.

>>> vtune -collect hotspots -r /root/intel/vtune/projects/lw/r008hs -knob sampling-mode=sw -app-working-dir /usr/bin -- python3 /home/lw/mat_mul_method.py

vtune: Warning: EMON Collector Message: Warning: PMU counter(s) [GP0 GP1 GP2 GP3 GP4 GP5 GP6 GP7 FP3 ] is/are already in use by other software and the data collected on these counter(s) may be incorrect
vtune: Error: EMON Collector Message: ERROR - A collection is already in progress - Abort current run.
vtune: Collection failed.
vtune: Internal Error

How can I solve this problem? 

Thank you

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

@liu_wei67 wrote:

Hi:

When I used vtune to analyze today, I reported an error for no reason and couldn't analyze anything. I killed all vtune-related processes and then restarted vtune, the error is still the same.

and i also source vtune-self-checker.sh,It's the same.

>>> vtune -collect hotspots -r /root/intel/vtune/projects/lw/r008hs -knob sampling-mode=sw -app-working-dir /usr/bin -- python3 /home/lw/mat_mul_method.py

vtune: Warning: EMON Collector Message: Warning: PMU counter(s) [GP0 GP1 GP2 GP3 GP4 GP5 GP6 GP7 FP3 ] is/are already in use by other software and the data collected on these counter(s) may be incorrect
vtune: Error: EMON Collector Message: ERROR - A collection is already in progress - Abort current run.
vtune: Collection failed.
vtune: Internal Error

How can I solve this problem? 

Thank you

Probably the other agent accessed the PMC counters at the time of the VTune run. It seems that two fixed counters i.e. FPx were not accessed by the other agent (profiler). If I remember correctly one the PMU MSR registers will have its bitfield set to one if there is an other agent accessing PMC at the same time.

0 Kudos
liu_wei67
Beginner

Hi:

@Bernard , Thank you very much for answering my question .

I uninstalled the sampling driver of vtune and then reinstalled it. Then it can be used.

thank you

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

@liu_wei67 

I'm glad, that the issue was solved.

I suppose, that some agent (maybe Intel one) did not zero that specific MSR PMU bitfield, thus confusing the other PMU accessing components.

0 Kudos
liu_wei67
Beginner

Hi:

@Bernard , 

I have another problem that has not been resolved, can you help me see it?

https://community.intel.com/t5/Analyzers/vtune-backend-questions/m-p/1294505#M20853

Thank you

0 Kudos
AthiraM_Intel

Hi liu_wei67,

Since your issue in this thread is resolved, we are closing this case. Regarding your last query, we will address in the actual thread:  https://community.intel.com/t5/Analyzers/vtune-backend-questions/m-p/1294505#M20853

This thread will be open for community discussions.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
CornelisNetworks
Beginner

In case others end up here from google, doing an 

# rmmod vtsspp

on each affected machine seems to resolve the problem.

0 Kudos