Application Acceleration With FPGAs
Programmable Acceleration Cards (PACs), DCP, FPGA AI Suite, Software Stack, and Reference Designs
482 Discussions

Intel FPGA AI suite accuracy drop

RubenPadial
New Contributor I

Hello,

I'm using Intel FPGA AI 2023.2 on ubuntu 20.04 host computer and trying to infer a custom CNN in a Intel Arria 10 SoC FPGA.

The CNN was trained with TensorFlow and the accuracy is 98.89% across the test dataset.

After converting the model to IR model with OpenVINO model optimer the accuracy remains the same.

mo
--saved_model_dir "{path_savedModelPath}"
--input_shape "{lst_inputShape}"
--model_name "{str_modelName}"
--output_dir "{path_irTargetPath}"
--use_new_frontend

However afer running the model in the Intel FPGA AI Suite IP the accuracy drops to 74.64% across the same test dataset. The architecture used is A10_FP16_Generic.arch, which has "arch_precision"=FP16. I have also tested with A10_FP16_Performance.arch and A10_Performance.arch.

dla_compiler
--march "{path_archPath}"
--network-file "{path_xmlPath}"
--o "{path_binPath}"
--foutput-format=open_vino_hetero
--fplugin "HETERO:FPGA,CPU"
--fanalyze-performance
--fdump-performance-report
--fanalyze-area
--fdump-area-report

I tried to optimize the model with "compress_to_fp16" openVINO model optimizer option but when compiling with dla_compiler I get this error:
"Layer (Name: Transpose_517_compressed, Type: Constant) is not supported:
Error occurred.
../compiler/aot_plugin/src/dla_executable_network.cpp:134 Graph is not supported on FPGA plugin due to existance of layer (Name: Transpose_517_compressed, Type: Constant)
in topology. Most likely you need to use heterogeneous plugin instead of FPGA plugin directly."
As you can see, hetero plugin option is set to FPGA and CPU. It was also tested with Intel FPGA AI Suite 2023.3 and OpenVINO 2022.3.1 with the same error message.

The accuracy in software with this compressd IR model to FP16 is 98.91 so in the FPGA the accuracy should be almos the same but there is a 24% of accuracy drop.

Find attached both IR model files.

What could be the rootcause of this accuracy drop?
What solution I can implement to improve the accuracy?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
21 Replies
RubenPadial
New Contributor I

Hello @AndrewRooney,

Thank you for your help but that's not the problem. The same NN was compiled to be run only in the ARM CPU by only changing the

--fplugin flag to --fplugin "HETERO:CPU" and it worked. So the same NN result in a 74.64% acc in HETERO:FPGA,CPU mode and the wcuracy goes to 98% with HETERO:,CPU.

After performing some tests, we found the problem was related to the fully connected layers. The input shape of the FullyConnected layer, due to some design constrains, was  [1, 1, 512] without a flatten layer.  If a flatten layer is included before the FC layer, the inference turns to be right. So the problem was related with the FC layer and the HETERO:FPGA:CPU compilation.

0 Kudos