Application Acceleration With FPGAs
Programmable Acceleration Cards (PACs), DCP, FPGA AI Suite, Software Stack, and Reference Designs
480 Discussions

Intel N6001 FIM not compiling due to script failing

Beginner_in_FPGA
New Contributor I

Hey @khtan,

I am done testing the N6000 card, and wanted to test the N6001 design in the N6000 card without enabling the E810 Controller. Hence I started building and compiling the N6001 design, but the script fails.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/afu_json_mgr", line 5, in <module>
from packager.tools.afu_json_mgr import main
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/packager/tools/afu_json_mgr.py", line 35, in <module>
from packager.utils.afu import AFU
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/packager/utils/afu.py", line 37, in <module>
from jsonschema import validators
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'jsonschema'
Error: "afu_json_mgr json-info --afu-json=/home/admin/test/intel-ofs-fim/ofs-common/scripts/common/syn/pim/dummy_afu/dummy_afu.json --verilog-hdr=../hw/afu_json_info.vh" failed
Copying build from /home/admin/test/intel-ofs-fim/work_n6001/syn/syn_top/afu_with_pim/pim_template/hw/lib/build...
Configuring Quartus build directory: afu/build
Error running /home/admin/test/intel-ofs-fim/ofs-common/scripts/common/syn/build_fim.sh
Exit code: 1

Below is the attached log file, any ideas as to what can be done are deeply appreciated.

Thank you,
Best Regards. 

8 Replies
Beginner_in_FPGA
New Contributor I

Hi, 

I was able to progress further in the script and it is failing at a different point.  Below is the attached log file, if you are able to give any insights it would be helpful.

I was also wondering if I would be able to simply run the N6001 bitstream in the N6000 card, since the only major difference is that the E810 controller is disabled and PCIe Lane width is different.

Thank you,
Best Regards.

khtan
Employee

Hi ,

Sorry for the delay in response , didn't receive the notification until the case been assigned.

May I know the ofs fim version that you're using (should be from otcshare?)  and also the Quartus version (should be Pro 23.1 from logs) ?

Technically it is possible to run , but I'm not sure what is the exact impact if using different bitstream, saw some of the guys here been doing the same thing over here flashing n6001 to n6000 or the other way. Not sure whether it is intentional or a mistake. Let me ask around first.

Thanks

Regards

Kian

Beginner_in_FPGA
New Contributor I

Hi @khtan ,

I am using the latest otcshare fim N6001-Beta3.2.
And Quartus Pro 2023.1.

"Technically it is possible to run , but I'm not sure what is the exact impact if using different bitstream, saw some of the guys here been doing the same thing over here flashing n6001 to n6000 or the other way. Not sure whether it is intentional or a mistake. Let me ask around first."

Any updates on this would be greatly beneficial in determining whether I can go ahead with programming or not.

Thanks,
Best Regards.

Beginner_in_FPGA
New Contributor I

Hi @khtan ,
I am trying to test the Agilex (FPGA) in N6000-PL without E810 controller with DPDK. Whether it is possible to test the only FPGA with DPDK?
And I also tried with N60001 FIM programming in N6000-PL platform same observation. I have performed following tests using FPGA without E810 controller in N6000-PL platform.

For N6000-PL
-----------------
* Programming the 2x1x100G FIM in N6000-PL platform.
* Disable the BIOS in bifurcation setup.
* Bind the FPGA B:D:F with vfio-pci dpdk.
* While checking the dpdk status FPGA is detected as baseband devices.

For N6001-PL
----------------
* Programming the N6001-PL FIM 2x4x25G in N6000 PL platform.
* Disable the BIOS in bifurcation setup.
* Bind the FPGA B:D:F with vfio-pci dpdk.
* While checking the dpdk status FPGA is detected as baseband devices.

Using above procedures I bind FPGA (bcce) with vfio-pci using dpdk-devbind.py. But I am not able to execute any dpdk sample application. The application throws ' No Probed Ethernet Devices '.Please find the attached log files for your reference.

Baseband devices using DPDK-compatible driver
=====================================
0000:07:00.0 'Device bcce' drv=vfio-pci unused=

Other Baseband devices
======================
0000:07:00.1 'Device bcce' unused=vfio-pci
0000:07:00.2 'Device bcce' unused=vfio-pci
0000:07:00.3 'Device bcce' unused=vfio-pci
0000:07:00.4 'Device bcce' unused=vfio-pci

Please let me know what changes to be made to work with dpdk. Waiting for your response.
Thanks,
Best Regards.

h3l1um
Novice

Hi @khtan ,

Could you please let me know if there are any updates on the query. And would you kindly provide the solution for the same.

Thanks,
Best Regards.

0 Kudos
khtan
Employee

Hi ,

I'm sorry for the delay in replying, didn't notice the my reply got saved in draft and didn't sent out before our public holiday.

Anyway, just copied back what I wrote 

Talked to one of the our technical experts on the flashing N6001 to N6000, he mentioned should be possible if not using E810 controller. Here's some differences between those 2.

khtan_0-1718169386938.png

However, we have never tested this combination before on actual hardware, so it is just theoretical in nature it might be working

I have a look into the logs and notice that you used 

1st log 

khtan_0-1718736889338.png

You shouldn't use the ofs-common/scripts/common/syn/build_top.sh , instead you should use the one under /syn/scripts/build_fim_top.sh -p n6001 work_n6001 instead. In certain version they renamed the build_top.sh to build_fim_top.sh to build the one in otcshare to avoid confusion because the release version uses build_top.sh 

The guide to build the fim is located here (https://github.com/otcshare/intel-ofs-docs/blob/main/n600x/dev_guides/fim_dev/ug_dev_fim_ofs_n600x_beta3.2.md#432-compiling-the-base-fim2x4x25g) . 

Could you try building this on your end? I've also setup my station here to build it , but it will take like 5-6 hours to build 

As for the ethernet part, are you referring to the guide over here on testing the ethernet?

https://github.com/otcshare/intel-ofs-docs/blob/main/n600x/user_guides/ofs_getting_started/ug_qs_ofs_n600x_beta3.2.md#testing-ethernet-datapath-using-dpdk

I also noticed you submitted an IPS case on the build issue on Agilex7 pcie attach compilation as well, but i will reply there, mainly to get the command you used to generate as release version have different build commands.

Thanks

Regards

kian

0 Kudos
h3l1um
Novice

Hi @khtan ,

Thanks for your reply,

Can u tell me please how to test  Agilex (FPGA) in N6000-PL. Whether it is possible to test the only FPGA with DPDK?

I bind FPGA (bcce) with vfio-pci using dpdk-devbind.py. But I am not able to execute any dpdk sample application. The application throws ' No Probed Ethernet Devices '. Please find the above reply attached log files for your reference.

Thanks,
Best Regards.

0 Kudos
khtan
Employee

Hi,

I'm still checking on this whether is this possible with the folks over here, will get back to you on this.

Thanks

Regards

Kian

0 Kudos