Application Acceleration With FPGAs
Programmable Acceleration Cards (PACs), DCP, FPGA AI Suite, Software Stack, and Reference Designs
477 Discussions

Microsoft Azure on FPGA Questions

Residentx
New Contributor III

I don't know if this is the right location for this question.

I'm a user on the Azure Cloud which is based on FPGAs. 

Recently, I certified on the Oracle Cloud and I was surprised how fast the services provisioned.

Is there any references from Intel on how to close the gap on cloud performance on FPGAs running on Azure?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
YEan
Employee

Hi,

Does both of the cloud system has the same specifications?

Certain performance caps increase with vCPU count, such as the number of disks you can attach to the VM, the number of NICs you can have, and most importantly, the network bandwidth available for each VM. You may take a look on the documentation for Azure's performance https://community.intel.com/t5/Blogs/Tech-Innovation/Cloud/Big-Data-and-Data-Analytics-on-the-Cloud/post/1335080 .

Thanks,

Ean

0 Kudos
Residentx
New Contributor III

@YEan

Roughly the same but CSPs don't allow direct matchups. 
Similar VMs provisioned way faster on Oracle than Azure. I think this is the latency of the FPGA. 

About the Intel article, LMFAO. I'm Azure certified almost 10 years. 

Thanks for whatever you said here...

0 Kudos
YEan
Employee

Oh, understood. As I'm not really familiar with Azure cloud so I'm able to provide references to close the gap on cloud performance. However, I found that Oracle Cloud Instances was using Intel® Xeon® processors, https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/partner/workload/oracle/benefits-to-running-openfoam-oracle-benchmark.html?wapkw=oracle%20cloud . Maybe the processors is one of the reason that affect the cloud performance. 

0 Kudos
Residentx
New Contributor III

Remember, my question was not about Azure or Oracle specifically. It's about the performance of the FPGA against regular computer hardware. Azure has Xeons in an abstract.  Is there a performance difference? I'm asking you to talk to more experienced people in your organization. 

1. Does FPGA insert latency in provisioning resources (Azure is based on FPGAs). 

2. What would allow Oracle's Cloud to provision so much faster? 

0 Kudos