Application Acceleration With FPGAs
Programmable Acceleration Cards (PACs), DCP, FPGA AI Suite, Software Stack, and Reference Designs
477 Discussions

Potential issues in receiving LVDS protocol data from external module using HSMC Connectors

gusFring
Beginner

Hello there, 

I have a Texas Instruments module that outputs ADC data using 4-lanes LVDS from its Mezzanine connector. It provides LVDS_CLK and LVDS Frame Clock alongwith. I want to receive this data using HSMC of Intel FPGA (possibly Stratix IV) and do some processings. Could you have a look into the details I am providing below for the two systems - TI module and Intel FPGA - and comments if I may run into some issues, like synchronization?

1. The pin mapping of TI Mezzanine and LVDS part of HSMC are different. I've attached the timing diagram of TI module LVDS output and the pin diagrams for both. So a custom PCB that performs proper mapping of clock and data lanes would make them compatible, right? Also, is Frame Clock required for receiving data into HSMC? I didn't see it being used in the LVDS Rx fabric of Intel FPGA.

2. I don't have much control on the ADC samples output configuration, except from data rate, from the TI module. I should be able to receive the data from two lanes synchronously using Intel FPGA IP, or there are some potential problems?

I would highly appreciate detailed comments :)

Best,

Arvind

ti_lvds_timing.jpgpin diagram.pnghsmc_b.PNG

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JonWay_C_Intel
Employee

Hi

1. The pin mapping of TI Mezzanine and LVDS part of HSMC are different. I've attached the timing diagram of TI module LVDS output and the pin diagrams for both. So a custom PCB that performs proper mapping of clock and data lanes would make them compatible, right?

==> yes

Also, is Frame Clock required for receiving data into HSMC?

==> Frame Clock is required.

I didn't see it being used in the LVDS Rx fabric of Intel FPGA.

==> Frame clock is the naming for ADC. LVDS RX IP is a generic IP...expected that your frame clock is connected to the rx_inclock.

2. I don't have much control on the ADC samples output configuration, except from data rate, from the TI module. I should be able to receive the data from two lanes synchronously using Intel FPGA IP, or there are some potential problems?

==> it seems to me that you have 4 lanes of data (not 2 lanes)

0 Kudos