Developing Games on Intel Graphics
If you are gaming on graphics integrated in your Intel Processor, this is the place for you! Find answers to your questions or post your issues with PC games
486 Discussions

Extended displays for digital signage

computerpaul
Beginner

Hi

We are a software developer, directtv.com.au. We need to connect a single PC or embedded system to two side by side displays, where the video extends across both displays.

Although Windows automatically supports extended monitor mode for windows from simple aps like Word etc, it does not work propery with Media Player and in particular our software.

We think we might try using IEGD to make a custom video config file but we are not sure whether this will work

Has anyone done anything similar to the above?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Chris_M_Intel
Employee
ComputerPaul,
Extending video (by this I mean things like movies) across two displays will be problematic. The display is part of the pipeline for the media player. If you limit the multiple display option to just one adapter (for example, dual display from a single part) that will eliminate some of the problem. You would also have to figure out how to handle things like overlay of which there is generally only one, and therefore would only work on one of the displays. Protected content would have a hard time with this as well. In general, I don't believe this is something that Windows software can actually do. If you're using a custom-built media-player, didn't use DXVA,and just used the CPU for decode and playback I think you could get it to function, mostly, with a lot of work...
Chris

0 Kudos
ralf__
Beginner
Quoting - Fendriss
ComputerPaul,
Extending video (by this I mean things like movies) across two displays will be problematic. The display is part of the pipeline for the media player. If you limit the multiple display option to just one adapter (for example, dual display from a single part) that will eliminate some of the problem. You would also have to figure out how to handle things like overlay of which there is generally only one, and therefore would only work on one of the displays. Protected content would have a hard time with this as well. In general, I don't believe this is something that Windows software can actually do. If you're using a custom-built media-player, didn't use DXVA,and just used the CPU for decode and playback I think you could get it to function, mostly, with a lot of work...
Chris

0 Kudos
ralf__
Beginner
Quoting - Fendriss
ComputerPaul,
Chris

0 Kudos
ralf__
Beginner
Quoting - Fendriss
ComputerPaul,
Chris

sorry for all those mis-clicks,what i really want to know is,how to use dual view clone mode output interface in your graphic driver,i've been able to use extend mode by windows API ChangeDisplaySettingsEx but clone mode with(LCD+CRT),can you tell me where can i get the specifications of 945 serial graphic card driver sw manual,3Q.
0 Kudos
delacy__david
Beginner
Quoting - ralf__

sorry for all those mis-clicks,what i really want to know is,how to use dual view clone mode output interface in your graphic driver,i've been able to use extend mode by windows API ChangeDisplaySettingsEx but clone mode with(LCD+CRT),can you tell me where can i get the specifications of 945 serial graphic card driver sw manual,3Q.

ChangeDisplaySettingsEx doesnt know what clone mode is
xp doesnt know what clone mode is
intel must have some documents on how to control what clone mode is and how to set it through their CUI
but i havent seen those docs
0 Kudos
delacy__david
Beginner
Quoting - beerandcandy

intel must have some documents on how to control what clone mode is and how to set it through their CUI

oh and i think fendris is a bad man!!!
0 Kudos
Chuck_De_Sylva
Beginner
Quoting - beerandcandy

We're looking into this for you. We're not sure whether or not this is still supported.
0 Kudos