Developing Games on Intel Graphics
If you are gaming on graphics integrated in your Intel Processor, this is the place for you! Find answers to your questions or post your issues with PC games
489 Discussions

OpenGL: bluescreening Intel driver 6.14.10.4926 on Windows XP

christianbuchner
Beginner
Hi,

I've discovered a potential DDOS attack against Windows XP drivers for Intel 945GM chipset (950 GMA) (driver date 15.02.2008 ver 6.14.10.4926). By allocating and rendering into offscreen pbuffers in separate OpenGL Render and Drawing contexts until video memory is exhausted we can cause a blue screen. This happened reproducably when my boss used 128 MB video RAM settings in his laptop BIOS on a Fujitsu Siemens S7110 laptop. Setting this to 224 MB (the maximum) would allow our application to run without crashing. Admittedly, I am not doing a lot of error checking during the allocation phase - so there is a chance that some other OpenGL API call - not necessarily the allocation attempt itself - would be creating the blue screen. We're also using a lot of pixel shader magic - finding the actual API call that brings the machine down might take some digging.

I am worried because with a little client code accessing OpenGL (even without administrator privileges) one could crash a *lot* of systems - for example with a drive by download on a malicious web page.

This crash does not happen on Windows Vista Business with latest Intel drivers - only XP is affected. The Vista drivers seem about 4 months younger by the way.

Our application currently is a little too huge to post - I might be able to strip down the code enough to demonstrate the problem. If I take the time to produce the code - Is there any chance that this bug might get fixed - despite end of life for the 950 GMA driver support?

Christian

0 Kudos
1 Reply
pramodavrur
Beginner
hi,
the dump is occuring bcoz of accute graphics (video) memory, in XP, the video memory will be less as compared to vista. In vista the graphics are more, so to render these, the OS would have allocated more memory for graphics purpose but not the same in XP. so u need to increase the video memory in XP

probably in your program, there would be a way at which this could be rectified by increasing or decreasing the buffer value.

Regards,
Pramod

Hi,

I've discovered a potential DDOS attack against Windows XP drivers for Intel 945GM chipset (950 GMA) (driver date 15.02.2008 ver 6.14.10.4926). By allocating and rendering into offscreen pbuffers in separate OpenGL Render and Drawing contexts until video memory is exhausted we can cause a blue screen. This happened reproducably when my boss used 128 MB video RAM settings in his laptop BIOS on a Fujitsu Siemens S7110 laptop. Setting this to 224 MB (the maximum) would allow our application to run without crashing. Admittedly, I am not doing a lot of error checking during the allocation phase - so there is a chance that some other OpenGL API call - not necessarily the allocation attempt itself - would be creating the blue screen. We're also using a lot of pixel shader magic - finding the actual API call that brings the machine down might take some digging.

I am worried because with a little client code accessing OpenGL (even without administrator privileges) one could crash a *lot* of systems - for example with a drive by download on a malicious web page.

This crash does not happen on Windows Vista Business with latest Intel drivers - only XP is affected. The Vista drivers seem about 4 months younger by the way.

Our application currently is a little too huge to post - I might be able to strip down the code enough to demonstrate the problem. If I take the time to produce the code - Is there any chance that this bug might get fixed - despite end of life for the 950 GMA driver support?

Christian

0 Kudos