Embedded Connectivity
Intel network controllers, Firmware, and drivers support systems
845 Discussions

Apple Bluetooth Co-Processor

MFred2
Beginner

I'm using the /thread/6638 eBMU PMB 8754 Bluetooth Chip (Panasonic PAN1322) and need to communicate to an iPhone so I'm joining the Apple MFi program. If someone has been through this process can you please tell me whether I'll be able to get an authentication chip myself and prototype with it or will I have to go through an Apple MFi manufacturer to get a prototype built?

Thanks,

Mark.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
WILLIAM_C_Intel
Employee

Hi Mark,

Thank you for posting your question in Intel Embedded Community.

But this issue description seems that you should consult manufacturer Apple, and I think they will really be glad to help you. Good luck!

Best regards,

William

0 Kudos
Natalie_Z_Intel
Employee
0 Kudos
MFred2
Beginner

@williamC - It's tough to get anything out of Apple without joining their MFi program (and paying the fee) so I'm trying to find someone else who has been through it and could answer the question about access to the co-processor chip.

@Lynn - Hi Lynn, yes that is my original post when I was trying to figure out the PAN1321 chip. Since then I've upgraded to the 1322 and have figured out how to make it work and now I'm looking at adding the Apple co-processor so I can support the iPhones.

Joining the MFi program is not free and if I have to go through a lot of hoops to support the iPhone with the PAN1322 and the Apple co-processor I may switch to a BL LE chip.

0 Kudos
Natalie_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi! Another engineer at Intel said, "The MFi program has two types of licenses, and as far as I know, you will need at least the Development License to be able to get samples of the authentication co-processor and additional information on the co-processor."

0 Kudos
MFred2
Beginner

Hi Lynn,

When you read the fine print, Apple says that you must use a certified manufacturer to build your prototypes and production units. That led me to believe that Apple doesn't give out the co-processors even to certified developers for populating on their own boards and that I, as a certified developer, would have to have a certified manufacturer make my proto-boards which would be a real hassle. It's not been easy finding someone who has actually gotten their hands on one.

Mark.

PS. We're still skiing up here .

0 Kudos