Embedded Connectivity
Intel network controllers, Firmware, and drivers support systems
851 Discussions

Are i210 controllers "ready to use" in custom designs

AMart139
Beginner

We want to use some i210 network controllers in our custom hardware with 4.19 vanilla linux kernel. In the datasheets I read about things like "firmware", "images", "programming iNVM", "programming Flash". That brought me to the question whether these controllers are ready to use when shipped or there things to be done during manufactoring. For example initial programming of firmware, NVM or flash.

Is there already a firmware on these devices when shipped or is it loaded by the kernel driver or do we have to program it with a special tool?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @AMart139​:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

The information that may answer your question is stated in the answer to the questions 2.14, 2.15, and 2.16, on page 8 of the Intel(R) Ethernet Controller I210/I211 Frequently Asked Questions [FAQs] document # 335346. This document can be found at:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/faqs/ethernet-controller-i210-i211-faq.pdf

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello AMart139,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Base on your inquiry, we have specific forum for these issues and I will be transferring this thread for faster response. 

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technicians

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
AMart139
Beginner

After a lot of googling, I can put my question in concrete terms:

Is the internal NVM already pre programmed when shipped or do we need to initially load an NVM image to the device during manufacturing?

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @AMart139​:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

The information that may answer your question is stated in the answer to the questions 2.14, 2.15, and 2.16, on page 8 of the Intel(R) Ethernet Controller I210/I211 Frequently Asked Questions [FAQs] document # 335346. This document can be found at:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/faqs/ethernet-controller-i210-i211-faq.pdf

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos