Embedded Connectivity
Intel network controllers, Firmware, and drivers support systems
867 Discussions

Changing SMBUS of WGI210 with I2C

netkerlQuevedoyat

Hi, Intel

I'm designing custom Hardware (OS: Linux) with WGI210 for 1G ethernet functionality.

Q1. I am asking whether it is possible to replace SMBUS of WGI210 with I2C.

Q2. If designing with I2C is possible, how to set individual sub-addresses for 4 WGI210 is possible.

Q3. If n WGI210s are connected to one SMBus, and the CPU and WGI210s are each connected to n WGI210s via n lanes of PCIe, how can the CPU access (address) WGI210 separately even though there is no external SMBus address hardware setting pin on the WGi210?

The capture below is the custom Hardware Block diagram I plan to design.

netkerlQuevedoyat_0-1720145954231.png

Regards,

NetkerlQuevedoyat

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Diego_INTEL

Hello @netkerlQuevedoyat,

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

From document #632557 - Springville Gigabit Ethernet Controller External Architecture Specification (EAS)

1.6.7 MDIO/I2C 2-Wire Interfaces

"Springville implements a management Interface to control an optional external PHY. The interface can be either a 2-wire Standard-mode I2C interface used to control an SFP module or an MII Management Interface (also known as the Management Data Input/Output or MDIO Interface) for control plane connection between the MAC and PHY devices (master side)."

"The I2C interface can alternatively be run over the SDP 0 and SDP2 pins."

To get access to the document you will need a Premier account, you can check this link:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000058073/programs/resource-and-documentation-center.html

Best regards,

@Diego_INTEL 

0 Kudos