Embedded Connectivity
Intel network controllers, Firmware, and drivers support systems
850 Discussions

Debugging PCI Express - I210-CS

JDoyl3
Beginner

Hello,

I'm bringing up a custom board that includes the I210-CS in a LOM configuration, and I'm unable to detect it on the PCIe bus. I'm able to see Ref Clk and Data from the host, but the I210 doesn't respond at all. I am able to see the I210 on JTAG, so it appears to be powered up and at least somewhat functional. I've verified LAN_PWR_GOOD and DEV_OFF_N are both high. The PCIE Reset goes inactive. Once the kernel has given up looking for devices the reset re-asserted, though.

Is there a minimum time from when PCIE Reset goes inactive to when the I210 is ready?

Is there a way to tell if we've ended up in a weird test mode? There is some reference to this in the I210-IS reference design schematic with a pulldown on the flash SCLK line, but I wasn't able to find any more detailed information. We currently have SCLK pulled high.

Thank you

0 Kudos
7 Replies
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @JDoyl3​:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

In order to have more details that can help us to understand this situation, we want to address the following questions:

Could you please clarify if the affected device has been developed by you or it is a third-party one? Please give all the information (such manufacturer name, part number, model, and where its documentation can be found) if it is a third-party implementation. In case that it is your design, could you please clarify if it has been verify by Intel?

Could you please let us if this condition happens in a specific PCIe port or various? Please try on different ones and let us know the results if you do not know the answer to this consultation.

Could you please verify that the affected design is unrelated to the condition stated in the answer to the question 2.23, on page 9 of the Intel(R) Ethernet Controller I210/I211 Frequently Asked Questions [FAQs] document # 335346?This document can be found at:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/faqs/ethernet-controller-i210-i211-faq.pdf

We are waiting for your answer.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos
JDoyl3
Beginner

This is a board we've developed. It has not been verified by Intel. I think our next step may be submitting the design files for review.

We aren't able to try a different PCIe port as it is directly routed on the board; it is not an add-in card.

I don't believe this is caused by what's described in 2.23. We have a blank flash chip installed on the board, however we've also tried without the flash installed, per section 1.4.3/1.4.4 of the I210-CS/CL datasheet.

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @JDoyl3​:

Thanks for your update.

In case that you want to request a full schematics and layout review of your design, please follow the procedure stated in the following website:

https://edc.intel.com/Tools/Design-Review/Default.aspx

By the way, could you please let us know how many units of the project related to this circumstance have been manufactured? How many are affected? Could you please give the failure rate? Also, could you please list the sources that you have used to design it? Could you please clarify if this situation happens on a specific Operating System (OS) or various? please provide the information of the Operating Systems (version, manufacturer, kernel, and other details) associated to this situation.

Could you please provide pictures of the affected Ethernet Controllers, specifically of their top side markings?

We are waiting for your answer to these questions and the requested picture. 

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos
JDoyl3
Beginner

i210_marking.pngThank you.

This is a prototype run of 10 units. All produced units have this issue. The design was based on the Ethernet Controller I210 Datasheet, I210 Specification Update (April 2019), I210-AS/IS Serdes/SFP Reference Design schematic, and I210-CS/CL Datasheet.

Attached is the part markings.

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @JDoyl3​:

Thanks for your update.

We have received your reply, however, could you please clarify if this situation happens on a specific Operating System (OS) or various? please provide the information of the Operating Systems (version, manufacturer, kernel, and other details) associated to this situation.

We are waiting for your clarification.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos
JDoyl3
Beginner

We're running a build from the Ubuntu 4.9.140 baseline running on AARCH64

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @JDoyl3​:

Thanks for your reply.

We suggest you use Intel® Network Adapter Driver for 82575/6, 82580, I350, and I210/211-Based Gigabit Network Connections for Linux* that can be found on the following website:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/13663/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-82575-6-82580-I350-and-I210-211-Based-Gigabit-Network-Connections-for-Linux-

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos