Embedded Connectivity
Intel network controllers, Firmware, and drivers support systems
850 Discussions

EEPROM Access Tool (V 0.7.7) not working for programming of I210 external blank Flash in Linux for Tegra (ARM64, R28.2.1, Jetson TX2)

SMutt2
Beginner

Dear Intel Support

We try to program the I210 with an external flash on a arm64 System (Linux for Tegra, R28.2.1) with the EEPROM Access Tool (V 0.7.7). The tool fails when trying to program a blank device. If we use an already programmed flash, the tool runs through. With a blank device, the Tool times out when polling for the FlashUpdate Done Flag. It seems, that the I210 is not writing anything to the flash. Could you please help us?

Thank you.

Kind regards

Severin

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Mike_Intel
Hello SMutt2, Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. Before we proceed, let me gather the following details for me to understand the issue. 1. May I know what is the reason why you are programming the Intel I210? 2. Are you designing a board and trying to embed Intel I210? If you have questions, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
SMutt2
Beginner

Hi Michael

1. We need to programm the Intel I210, because it is blank and showed with the ID 0x1531. The Ethernet Interface is not recognized from the driver.
  2. We designed a board with the Intel I210 (WGI210ITSLJXS) and an external SPI Flash with an ARM64 Architecture (Nvidia Jetson TX2).

We already have other designs with the I210 and x86 Architectures, where we do not have any problems to program the Controller. There we use the eeupdate tool, which we do not have for ARM64. Can you provide this tool for ARM?

If we need to use the EEPROM Access Tool, can you send us a new Version which works in Linux for Tegra (R28.2.1)?

Thank you.

Kind regards

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello SMutt2, Let me further check this and get back to you. I may also route this topic to a different thread since this is regarding integration and programming. If you have questions, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
SMutt2
Beginner

Hi Michael

Thank you for your answer.

In other Threads, we saw that people used the Tool eepromARMtool, can you provide this to us or is it deprecated?

We need a solution as soon as possible.

Thank you.

Best regards

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @SMutt2​:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

The Intel I210, I211, and X550 EEPROM Access Tool (EAT) document # 572162 is the updated version of the requested tool. It can be found when you are logged into your Resource & Design Center (RDC) privileged account at the following website:

http://www.intel.com/cd/edesign/library/asmo-na/eng/572162.htm

The RDC Account Support form is the channel to process your account update request. It can be found at:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/forms/design/contact-support.html

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos
SMutt2
Beginner

Hello @Mæcenas_INTEL​ 

As mentioned in the first post on this topic, the EEPROM Access Tool V0.7.7 is not working with a blank device (ID 0x1531). It times out when Polling the FlashUpdateDone Flag.

We need an updated version that works with Linux for Tegra (R28.2.1) and the I210 Controller with an external blank flash device.

Thanks.

Best regards

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

​Hello, @SMutt2​:

Thanks for your reply.

We suggest you verify that the affected implementation is not affected by the information stated in the answer to the question 2.23, on page 9 of the Intel(R) Ethernet Controller I210/I211 Frequently Asked Questions [FAQs] document # 335346. This document can be found at:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/faqs/ethernet-controller-i210-i211-faq.pdf

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos
SMutt2
Beginner

Hello @Mæcenas_INTEL​ 

We checked already the information with the Security Feature and tried to program a device when we used a pull-down on Pin 12 of the Controller.

When we look into the sources of the tool, there seem things missing for the INTEL_I210_BLANK case. We also had to change the PCIe Device Path to not get an "open to write error".

For a test we exchanged the empty flash with an already programmed one and the device was working fine. With the EEPROM Access Tool, we did not get anymore a timeout with a programmed flash.

Do you have any other suggestions how we can make it work with a blank device?

Thanks

Best regards

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

​Hello, @SMutt2​:

Thanks for your reply.

Could you please clarify if this situation is related to Tegra 1 or Tegra 2?

Waiting for your answer.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos
SMutt2
Beginner

Hello @Mæcenas_INTEL​ 

The Jetson TX2 Platform includes the Tegra X2 System On Chip.

Best regards

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @SMutt2​:

Thanks for your update.

The tool is currently having issues with the T2 chip. An update is in process, but there is no timeline available.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos
sdebruin
Beginner

Is there any update on this issue? We are having I believe the same issue. 

Thank you

Sam 

0 Kudos
Jaime_Lizarme

Hi Sam,

Thank you for contacting the Intel Embedded Community.

This is a very old thread, so to better assist you, can you please elaborate or clarify what issue are you seeing? and which Intel product are you using?

Best regards,

Jaime L.

Intel Customer Support Engineer

0 Kudos
Alex_GM
Beginner

Hi Sam,

Can the Intel EEPROM Access Tool be used to read and write to the EEPROM on the i350 Ethernet Controller? 

If not, what source files and dependencies need to be modified to for it to work with the i350? Is there any sample code for this?

Thank you and I look forward to your feedback.

Best Regards,

Alex M.

0 Kudos
Alex_GM
Beginner

Jamie,

Will you kindly advise on this matter?

Best Regards,

Alex

0 Kudos