Embedded Connectivity
Intel network controllers, Firmware, and drivers support systems
850 Discussions

How to add mac address in i210 iNVM hex file, using eeprom access tool

Dileep
Beginner

Hi,
 I have created a custom carrier board using i210 and Jetson TX2. I have successfully programmed iNVM of i210using eeprom and generic hex file given by the tool for testing. But when the driver is booting an error is showing 
igb 0000:01:00.0: Invalid MAC Address
igb: probe of 0000:01:00.0 failed with error -5

I have checked the NVM it is programmed correctly. Do I have to separately give MAC address to i210 or can I edit the hex file and flash it again? The same Jetson I have connected to a development board with preprogrammed i210, there MAC address is detecting properly. 

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello Dileep,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Before we proceed, let me clarify if you are building a customer system with embedded i210?

We look forward to hearing from you. If we do not get your reply, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technicians

0 Kudos
Dileep
Beginner

I am building a custom board for prototyping. It requires 2 ethernet. For one I am using native ethernet of Jetson and for other I am using i210.

I have used I210_Invm_Copper_NoAPM_v0.6.HEX obtained with the eepromaccess tool i210 for testing i210. Programming was successful, I have checked the iNVM memory using "-dump" and it was same as the hex file. But still, MAC address is not detecting. I have attached the hex file I have used. Can you please tell me whether it is hardware issue or firmware issue?

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Dileep,

Base on your inquiry, we have specific forum for these issues and I will be transferring this thread for faster response.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technicians

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @Dileep:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

We suggest using the EEupdate tool for the proposes that you mentioned. It can be found included in the Intel(R) Network Connections Tools 24.0 PV LAN Software Tools document # 348742. It can be found when you are logged into your Resource & Design Center (RDC) privileged account on the following website:

http://www.intel.com/cd/edesign/library/asmo-na/eng/348742.htm

The RDC Account Support form is the channel to process your account update request. It can be found at:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/forms/support/my-intel-sign-on-support.html

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
Dileep
Beginner

I am using Jetson TX2 and ARM processor. I think eeupdate can only be used in x86 systems. That is the reason I am using eeprom access tool. 

According to datasheet first 3 bytes of hex file represent MAC address, when I read the data from i210 iNVM the first 3 bytes are same as the hex file. Will there be other possible reason that igb can't recognize MAC address on i210?

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @Dileep:

Thanks for your reply.

We have sent an email to you with suggestions that may help you.

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
Dileep
Beginner

This is not a problem with the driver. Driver working perfectly when I tried in the development board. 

The problem here is i210 is not loading MAC address from EEPROM even though it is programmed correctly. The MAC address read by the driver is 00:00:00:00:00:00.

Is there any hardware configuration is required for enabling LAN? Because both EEPROM programming and device drivers are correct.

I am attaching the EEPROM register values with this. According to datasheet first, 3 words corresponding to ethernet address are 16E80002 0000 right? So can you please help me to find a possible root cause.

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @Dileep:

Thanks for your reply.

Based on your last communication, could you please confirm that you fully understand the email sent to you?

We are waiting for your confirmation via email.

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
Dileep
Beginner
Yes. Actually this issue is not related to drivers, igh is working properly in the development board. I210 Mac registers is detected as zero. This problem is with i210 configuration
0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @Dileep:

Thanks for your reply.

We sent a new email that may help you.

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
Ricodeng
Beginner

could you please help sent this email to me too, thanks

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @Ricodeng:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

Could you please clarify if your post in this thread is related to your question in the following forum?

https://community.intel.com/t5/Embedded-Connectivity/How-to-flash-mac-address-in-NVRAM-of-i210-WGI210ITSLJXS/m-p/1198985#M2464

We are waiting for your clarification.

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
Dileep
Beginner

Yes. It is related. I also faced the issue with assigning MAC address in I210 iNVM using eepromaccesstool.

0 Kudos
Ricodeng
Beginner

Hi Dileep:

Do you have soloved this problem? we have same as yours.

thanks

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @Ricodeng:

Thanks for your clarification.

We sent an email to the address associated with your account of this forum with suggestions that may help you.

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
Dileep
Beginner

No. I haven't received any answers.

0 Kudos