Embedded Connectivity
Intel network controllers, Firmware, and drivers support systems
845 Discussions

How to get i350 EEPROM Access Tool for aarm64 (GCC) Linux platform (Jetson TX2)?

CEde01
Beginner

Like others on this forum, I have a project using the i350-AM4 integrated on a board with an un-programmed EEPROM part. Like other responses on this forum, the recommendation from Intel is NOT to go for an EEPROM-less design - indeed your latest Linux kernel driver does not support this.

So I need to program the EEPROM on the target. I have no idea how to do this. So as a first step, I would like access to the EEPROM tool suitable for the platform I am using even if it means building the tool myself.

Please can you expedite my application to become a privileged user to gain access to your R&D Center so I can download what is already available?

Many thanks,

Cliff

0 Kudos
16 Replies
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @CEde01​:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

Could you please confirm that you have requested your Resource & Design Center (RDC) account update by filling out the form stated in the following website?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/forms/design/contact-support.html

Could you please clarify if you have reviewed our last communication of the following forum?

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004LGsP6SAL/how-to-get-i350-eeprom-access-tool-

We are waiting for your answer to these questions.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos
CEde01
Beginner

Hi Maecenas,

You wrote: "Could you please confirm that you have requested your Resource & Design Center (RDC) account update by filling out the form stated in the following website?"

Yes, I have done this.

You wrote: "Could you please clarify if you have reviewed our last communication of the following forum?"

Yes, I have done this, but when I try the link:

http://www.intel.com/cd/edesign/library/asmo-na/eng/572162.htm

I get:

Not Authorized to Access

Please expedite my R&D Center application as this is now delaying our project.

Best Regards,

Cliff

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @CEde01​:

Thanks for your reply.

Could you please let us know when you sent your account update request?

We are waiting for your update.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos
CEde01
Beginner

Hi Maecenas,

The account update request was sent 14 Jun. A CNDA has been signed and returned. I have just checked and can still confirm that I still don't have access to the R&D Center. Please expedite this process if you can as the delay for us is now around 2 weeks!

Best Regards,

Cliff

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @CEde01​:

Thanks for your clarification.

Reviewing your profile your RDC account update request has been approved.

Due to this fact, you have a RDC privileged account.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos
CEde01
Beginner

Hi Maecenas,

Thanks, I now have access to your RDC.

I have now compiled the eeprom tool on the target, but it fails to recognised any compatible devices when I run it without any arguments. The lspci command shows the following:

nvidia@tegra-ubuntu:~$ lspci

00:01.0 PCI bridge: NVIDIA Corporation Device 10e5 (rev a1)

00:02.0 PCI bridge: NVIDIA Corporation Device 10e6 (rev a1)

00:03.0 PCI bridge: NVIDIA Corporation Device 10e6 (rev a1)

01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Device 151f (rev 01)

01:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Device 151f (rev 01)

01:00.2 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Device 151f (rev 01)

01:00.3 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Device 151f (rev 01)

Can you contact me directly by email to progress this further?

Many thanks,

Cliff

0 Kudos
CEde01
Beginner

Hi Maecenas,

I compiled the eeprom tool on a Jetson EVM board. I fitted an "Intel Ethernet Server Adapter i350-T4" PCIe card. However, the eeprom tool did not find any NICs. In this case, lspci shows:

nvidia@tegra-ubuntu:~/abip/git/intel_i350_eeprom_tool$ lspci

00:01.0 PCI bridge: NVIDIA Corporation Device 10e5 (rev a1)

00:03.0 PCI bridge: NVIDIA Corporation Device 10e6 (rev a1)

01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I350 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 01)

01:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I350 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 01)

01:00.2 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I350 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 01)

01:00.3 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I350 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 01)

It seems that the eeprom tool is not compatible with the i350. Please advise.

Regards,

Cliff

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @Mæcenas_INTEL​:

Thanks for your updates.

Could you please let us know if the design related to this thread has been developed by you or it is a third-party device? In case that it is a third-party unit, please let us know the part number, model, name of the manufacturer, and where is stated the information related to it. On the other hand, could you please clarify if this design has been reviewed by Intel if it is yours?

We are waiting for your reply.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos
CEde01
Beginner
Hi Maecenas, The design has been developed by Ovation Systems Ltd. It has not been reviewed by Intel. Best Regards, Cliff
0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @CEde01​:

Thanks for your clarification.

We suggest you send this design to be reviewed by Intel. Please follow the procedure stated in the following website:

https://edc.intel.com/Tools/Design-Review/Default.aspx

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos
CEde01
Beginner

Hi Maecenas,

I have downloaded the file eepromaccesstool-0-7-7.zip.

When I unpack the software, build it and run it without arguments it reports Version 0.7.7.

When I unpack the software, and look at the source files, I cannot find support for the I350. I have been searching the source files for the device IDs 0x151F and 0x1521 but I cannot find them. These are the device IDs that I see with the lspci command, and these are the device IDs given in your document:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/faqs/ethernet-controller-i350-faq.pdf

I can find the device IDs for the I210 chip in the source files so I can see support for the I210.

I am quite certain the the downloaded file eepromaccesstool-0-7-7.zip does NOT support the I350.

It does not seem sensible that I send the design for review as requested by you because the problem lies with the eeprom tool that I downloaded.

Can you check with your networking team exactly which version of the eeprom tool supports the I350?

Best Regards,

Cliff

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @CEde01​:

Thanks for your update.

In case that the EEPROM Access Tool (EAT) document # 572162 is the mentioned by you, it is one that may help you.

It is important to let you know that you should use the proper Intel(R) Ethernet Controller i350 device id in the code. The device id values are listed in answer to question 9, on page 6 of the Intel(R) Ethernet Controller i350 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) that can be found at:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/faqs/ethernet-controller-i350-faq.pdf

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos
CEde01
Beginner

Hi Maecenas,

Can you confirm that you are suggesting that I change the source code of your EEPROM Access Tool to make it work with your I350 Ethernet Controller?

Also, can you please give me the link to the document that you mention: "EEPROM Access Tool (EAT) document # 572162" ?

Many thanks,

Cliff

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @CEde01​:

Thanks for your update.

The cited tool is accessible to you when you are logged into your Resource & Design Center (RDC) privileged account at the following website:

http://www.intel.com/cd/edesign/library/asmo-na/eng/572162.htm

Changing the device id’s in the code should allow it to work with i350.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​. 

0 Kudos
CEde01
Beginner

Hi Maecenas,

I have seen on this forum, and also in documentation, the mention of a "dev starter" EEPROM image. Can you let me know where I can find this image for the I350?

Best Regards,

Cliff

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @CEde01​:

Thanks for your reply.

The Intel Ethernet Controller I350 [Powerville] EEPROM Images document # 474233 has the information that may help you. It can be found when you are logged into your RDC privileged account at the following website:

http://www.intel.com/cd/edesign/library/asmo-na/eng/474233.htm

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos