Embedded Connectivity
Intel network controllers, Firmware, and drivers support systems
850 Discussions

I210 Ethernet Controller - Fails to configure at High Temperature (more 45DegC) at boot up

RS22
Novice

We are observing, I210 failure to enumerate as network port at High Temperature boot up.

Project details:

We are using I210 Ethernet controller in the SerDes mode with Intel Atom X7 E3950.

As part of product qualification, we are doing thermal cycle testing (0DegC to 70DegC). During the test, we observed above 45DegC the Ethernet controller fails to boot up. We couldn’t able to see the network port in the system. Until 40DegC it works fine, we didn’t observe any failure.

Part used – WGI210IS S LJXX

Top Marking –

i©12

1746ACP

WGI210AS

I

Configuration – Flashless mode (Invm based operation, no external flash).

Invm Configuration - I210_Invm_SerDesKX_NoAPM_v0.6.txt (Device ID - 0x157C)

Based on the document - 332763-009 – Revision 2.5 - Intel® Ethernet Controller I210 Specification Update – June 2018, we identified an errata (#36 - Internal Clock Malfunction at High Temperature).

Is the issues is relevant to the problem we are facing?

Please help us to resolve and qualify the ethernet controller.

We are in critical phase, we need to complete the qualification within this week.

Your timely support will be highly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
RS22
Novice

We referred the Intel document number - 490116 Rev 1.9

Yes the design is reviewed by Intel team. Also recently I posted the same case on IPS and following up with them.

As Initial build, we made 15 Units.

Since the thermal validation is qualification test, general plan is to test one sample unit. As there is misbehavior observed we tested 2 other units in simulated environment.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Mike_Intel
Hello RS22, Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. For me to further help you with this issue and to check the product, please provide the following details. 1. Please provide pictures of the product focusing on all of the markings and different angles of the card. 2. Have you tried installing the card on different slot? 3. Have you tried installing the card on a different system? 4. Have you tried installing a different network card on your system? 5. Please provide screenshots of the card reaching 45 degrees in temperature. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
RS22
Novice

Hi Michael,

Our system is custom designed PCB with Ethernet controller i210IS on-board with Intel Atom-x7 processor.

I am not sure how far we could able take screen shot of the system when it is at 45 DegC, as the system will be inside the Thermal Chamber. There is double layered glass window to see the system during the testing, but snap through double layered glass window, will mostly yield reflections.

I will try this when we go for the next round thermal testing.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel
Hello RS22, Thank you for the response. Upon checking, the Operating Temperature Range for Intel® Ethernet Controller I210-IS is -40°C to 85°C. It should be working fine when it is above 45°C as long as it does not exceed 85°C. You might want to visit this link to check it's Operating Temperature Range: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/64401/intel-ethernet-controller-i210-is.html May we know the exact temperature where the Ethernet controller fails? Let us know if you have any other questions. Best regards, Crisselle C Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
RS22
Novice

Hi Crisselle,

We are observing the Ethernet (boot up) failures above 45DegC and it boots up properly till 40DegC.

Also If ethernet controller boots up at low temperature, it operates properly even at 60DegC (we didn't test beyond that temperature). Our observation is only fails to boot (initialise) at high Temperature.

Thanks and Regards,

S.Senthilkumaran

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello RS22, Before we proceed, let me clarify. Are you designing a system or a board with on-board Ethernet controller i210IS? May I know why are you testing the system inside the Thermal Chamber and booting up the system with a different temperature? If you have questions, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
RS22
Novice

Hi Michael,

our design has board with On-Board Ethernet controller i210IS (SerDes Mode), it is custom design board for our project.

On the Thermal Cycle test,

As standard product qualification procedure, we need to provide the qualification report for complete operating temperature region.

The product operating temperature region is 0DegC to 70DegC. So we need to ensure that board boots up as well functions normally over the entire region of operating temperature.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello RS22, Base on your inquiry, we have specific forum for these issues and I will be transferring this thread for faster response. If you have questions, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @RS22​: 

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

In order to better understand this situation, we would like to address the following questions:

Could you please let us the sources that you have used to design the affected projects? By the way, could you please clarify if the affected design has been reviewed by Intel?

How many boards have been manufactured? How many are related to the cited situation and the failure rate?

Waiting for your reply.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos
RS22
Novice

We referred the Intel document number - 490116 Rev 1.9

Yes the design is reviewed by Intel team. Also recently I posted the same case on IPS and following up with them.

As Initial build, we made 15 Units.

Since the thermal validation is qualification test, general plan is to test one sample unit. As there is misbehavior observed we tested 2 other units in simulated environment.

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

​Hello, @RS22​:

Thanks for your update.

In order to help you, we will contact you via email.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos