Embedded Connectivity
Intel network controllers, Firmware, and drivers support systems
850 Discussions

Intel I225-IT Ethernet controller bringup issue

shivbalaji
Beginner

Hi All,

We are using I225IT Ethernet controller for our project on i7 8Th gen processor and it is connected to PCIe port.

We could see the PCI device ID as 0x15FD and also see the IGC Linux(5.6.19) driver is probing but its failing while reading PHY device id(Reading zero always) and it is failing due to IGC_ERR_PHY(-2).

Did comment PHY ID check on the driver and later could see the interface details but there is no link and speed details on the interface. Could anyone provide insights for PHY error on I225IT?

I225-IT ethernet controller also connected to the 1MB SPI NOR Flash and PHY section(0x7F0) on the flash reads 0xFF.

Do we need firmware update for this I225-IT controller? We don’t see firmware version details for this interface using ethtool, it looks empty.  Could anyone provide details ?

Thanks

Balaji

0 Kudos
5 Replies
shivbalaji
Beginner

So, We understand this is the I225 Default device ID (0x15FD) which is having empty flash image. Could anyone post the details of flashing the NVM?

-Balaji

0 Kudos
Achilles_Intel

Hello shivbalaji,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities.

Before we proceed with your inquiry, we just want to clarify. Are you designing a system with Intel® Ethernet Controller I225-IT?

Let us know if you have questions. If we do not hear from you, we will make sure to make a follow-up after 3 business days.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Best regards,

Achilles M.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
shivbalaji
Beginner

Thanks Achilles for the Response. Yes we are using Intel® Ethernet Controller I225-IT in our board.

-Balaji

0 Kudos
Achilles_Intel

Hello shivbalaji,

Thank you for the quick response.

We have a specific forum for these inquiries. For faster responses and better assistance with your query, we will move this thread to the designated team. Please wait for their reply within 1-2 business days.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Best regards,

Achilles M.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel

Hello, @shivbalaji 

As you can check here: https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igc/igc_phy.c

/**
* igc_setup_copper_link - Configure copper link settings
* @hw: pointer to the HW structure
* Calls the appropriate function to configure the link for auto-neg or forced
* speed and duplex. Then we check for link, once link is established calls
* to configure collision distance and flow control are called. If link is
* not established, we return -IGC_ERR_PHY (-2).
*/

This points to a failure on link configuration.

Please provide the following information:

1) What Linux distro are you using? Does the issue occurs on other Linux distro?

2) Since the controller is connected via a PCIe port, does the issue occurs on a different board?

3) Are you the manufacturer of the I225 PCIe card?

4) Have you tried using a different Ethernet PCIe card on your board?

5) Did the board undergo a schematic and layout review from Intel?

6) Is the board manufactured by your company or by third-party vendor?

Best Regards,

@Adolfo_S_Intel 

0 Kudos