Embedded Connectivity
Intel network controllers, Firmware, and drivers support systems
850 Discussions

Intel XL710 40GbE Network Adapter

tengguisong
Beginner

Hi ,

How to change the default MAC address of the Intel XL710 40GbE Network Adapter in the firmware.

The current firmware is XL710_7p30_KR_KR4_NCSI_CFGID2p4_Dual.bin.

Can you tell me how to change the MAC address in the firmware, or provide a way to change it permanently

Thanks for your help in advance.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello tengguisong,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

For us to check your query, please share the following details.

1. Operating System you intend to use .

2. Can you provide us more details about your intended setup and why do you want to change MAC address permanently?

3. PBA of your adapter. You may refer to the link below on where to find the PBA number. It consist of 6-3 digit number located at the last part of the serial number. This would help us identify if you are using an Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) or retail version of Intel Ethernet Adapter.

Identify Your Intel® Network Adapter Model Using PBA Number

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007022/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

Hoping to hear from you soon. 

Should there be no reply, we will follow up after 3 business days. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
tengguisong
Beginner

Here's the information I shared.

1. Run ubuntu 20.04 on the system.

2. We use many XL710 products. We are used for 40G communication, but the MAC address of each XL710 port is the same, for example, port 0 00:00:00:01:00 port 1 00:00:00:01:01. So I wanted to change the MAC address in the firmware, but I read the manual found Non-volatile memory map  made the address offset. Can you provide a way to change the MAC address.

3. I'm very sorry that we just ordered the chip of your XL710, and the other peripheral circuits are designed by ourselves.

4.Because we are OEM.No PBA numbers.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Best regards,

tenggguisong

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello tenggguisong,

Thank you for the swift response.

Since your query involves customization or you're into designing, please be informed that this will be best answered by our Embedded Connectivity Support team. We will help you to move this post to the designated team for further assistance. Please feel free to contact us if you need assistance from Ethernet support team.

May you have an amazing day ahead!

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
tengguisong
Beginner

Hello Crisselle C,

Thank you for the swift response.

Best regrads,

tengguisong.

0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel

Hello @tengguisong 

The best way to use this is to get the Intel Proprietary tools that allow the modification of the MAC address at the firmware level.

To get the tools you need access to the RDC.

You need to have a Resource and Design Center (RDC) privileged account to have access to the requested information.

The RDC Account Support form is the channel to process your account update process by filling out the form stated on the following website:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/forms/support/my-intel-sign-on-support.html

You should use a business email address to evade any inconvenience. Please avoid the free email provider's address (such as the provided by Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo, or others).

Once you get the access, we can provide you with the latest tools, documentation and firmware images for your device.

There is another method you can try using the linux ethtool command, but this method is not validated by Intel so research and support for it need to be done on your own.

Best Regards,

@Adolfo_S_Intel 

0 Kudos