Embedded Connectivity
Intel network controllers, Firmware, and drivers support systems

Programming I210

KalyanGE
Beginner

Hi,

WGI210A Ethernet controller IC is being used on our custom CPU base board and Ethernet controller on based board is connected to Kontron COMe module (Intel atom-based SOM) through PCIe.

RTOS (VxWorks) is being used on Kontron CPU module.

When we are trying to attach the device driver to the controller as a PCIe device. It is found that device has been not programmed in factory and later: its PCI device ID is 0x1531 instead of 0x157B according to I210 specification update (§Table 1-2 Device IDs).

The datasheet, specification update and FAQ docs precise a PCI device ID 0x1531 means “blank flash device”, “Not programmed/factory default” or “hardware default, indicating an unprogrammed device”

So, we patched the device driver to support the Ethernet controller to solve temporarily the attachment issue and make it available. Nevertheless, the MAC Address is not configured (00:00:00:00:00:00) and other parameters could be not configured as expected.

Need support and process details to configure the MAC address on Ethernet chip.

Schematic reference:

KalyanGE_0-1716801605062.png

Block Diagram:

KalyanGE_1-1716801648687.png

PCB images for reference:

KalyanGE_2-1716801720094.png

• Which tool needs to be used to program Flash memory / iNVM ?
  • What file to be programmed into the flash memory for MAC address modification?
  • Which programmer and software tool to be used to program the Controller or the flash Memory.?
  • In document 513655, there are many files. Which file needs to be used in iNVM?

Note: Above mentioned Custom PCB board designed as Control board for our X-ray based system with Ethernet controller IC (WGI210AT).

Regards,

N Kalyan kumar

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Diego_INTEL

Hello @KalyanGE,

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

You can check the following in RDC:

The Frequently Asked Questions is very useful to have:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/content-details/334026/intel-ethernet-controller-i210-i211-faq.html

-NVM Update from #348742 - Intel® Network Connections Tools 28.3 PV LAN Software Tools.

-#572162 - EEPROM Access Tool [EAT].

-#513655 - Intel® Ethernet Controller I210 and I211- AT Production NVM Images.

-#333016 - I210 Datasheet

In the #513655 there is a file called Programming iNVM in i211, this document is applicable to the i210 too.

Check first with the NVM Update, if it doesn't work you can use EAT.

Best regards,

@Diego_INTEL 

0 Kudos
KalyanGE
Beginner

Hello Diego

1. As per our understanding to update iNVM memory, Application EEUpdate and LANConf to be executed from the Host processor (In our case Kontron SOM module) connected to the Ethernet controller. Is it correct?

2. If I need to program SPI Flash memory (FM25V02A-G) through JTAG, what type of JTAG programmer to be used to Flash binary from PC?

KalyanGE_1-1716889771766.jpeg

3. The flash memory used in our system is the FM25V02A-G, with a capacity of 256 kb. In the 513655 document, most of the available binary files are significantly larger, such as 8Mb, 16Mb, etc. Considering the size of our flash memory, which binary file should be loaded?

KalyanGE_2-1716889798153.png

Regards,

N Kalyan kumar

0 Kudos
Diego_INTEL

Hello @KalyanGE,

My apologies for the late reply.

1) Yes, both tools should be able to recognize when a NIC is connected to the board.

2) Regarding JTAG, I looked internally but I didn't find which program is recommended, I think you can try PuTTY in Windows.

3)  Regarding the ROM files, those are dependent to the design, as this design is from Kontron, it may be best if you reach them to make sure if you need any of those and which one, or use an iNVM and update the MAC as the i210 has flash-less support.

I think this document may be useful too.

#632557 - Springville Gigabit Ethernet Controller External Architecture Specification (EAS)

Best regards,

@Diego_INTEL 

0 Kudos