Embedded Connectivity
Intel network controllers, Firmware, and drivers support systems
848 Discussions

i210 Flash MAC Address programming eepromaccesstool ARM

DMall3
Beginner

I would like to program the MAC Address into the i210 flash device using eepromaccesstool on a ARM based system. Can I please get command this accomplish this? Note this is for ARM based system, so lanconf and eeupdate will not work.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Adolfo_S_Intel

Hello @DMall3​  Do you plan to write to the iNVM or use an external memory? Are you using the i210 an an onboard device, or are you using a PCIe based i210 NIC card?

Best Regards,

Adolfo Sanchez

0 Kudos
DMall3
Beginner
Hello Adolfo, The application is an OEM ARM CPU base board with the i210 integrated into the design. The i210 will have an external flash eeprom device. For the MAC address we will be programming our own unique address for each board that we build. Best Regards, Dan M
0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel

Hello Dan,

According to the documentation to program the i210 external flash the command is:

"sudo ./eepromARMtool -write -NIC=X -f=<filename>"

There is really no difference on the command to program iNVM or flash, the eepromARMtool will determine which type of memory to program, accordingo to the format of the Input File.

I recommend that you take a look at document RDC 523420.

Best Regards,

Adolfo Sanchez

0 Kudos
DMall3
Beginner
Hello Adolfo, The command: “./eepromARMtool –write –NIC=X –f=<filename>” does a programming of the entire eeprom. BTW – Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the tool “EepromAccessTool”? Not “eepromARMtool”? With “EepromAccessTool” the command to program the eeprom is: “EepromAccessTool –NIC=X –f=<filename> To rephrase, basically what I would like to accomplish with the “EepromAccessTool” is to program just the MAC address only in our ARM CPU based design. In an x86 CPU based design I have used and continue to use eeupdate to program just the MAC address only into the eeprom using the following command: “eeupdate /nic=X /mac=”aabbccddeeff”. With the “EepromAccessTool” is there a command that is similar to the “eeupdate” command for programming just the MAC address only of the eeprom? Programming the eeprom by using the “./EepromAccessTool –NIC=X –f=<filename>” command would require our manufacturing team to create a new file with a new and unique MAC address for every ARM based system that is manufactured. Using this method would not be a feasible method to implement for volume manufacturing. If programming of the MAC address only cannot be done with “EepromAccessTool”, is there an alternative? I would like to stick to using the i210 in my ARM based design, but if programming of the MAC address cannot be easily accomplished especially for volume manufacturing it would be tough for me to use it in the design. Best Regards, Dan
0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel

Hello, Dan,

The EepromAccessTool (EepromArmTool was the name of a previous version of the tool), is designed to program a blank flash or iNVM memory with all the configuration registers, I am not aware of any specific command to program only the MAC address, however I will double check with the engineering team.

0 Kudos
DMall3
Beginner
Hello Adolfo, Were you able to get any feedback from your engineering team with regards to the MAC Address programming for the Intel i210 NIC device that is integrated into an ARM based design? If programming of the MAC Address cannot be done with the EepromAccessTool is there an alternative? I am currently holding off in moving further with my design pending your response to the MAC Address programming, so an response back would be appreciated. Thank You, [https://m1.mrcy.com/uploadedImages/mercury-logo-for-email.jpg] Dan Mallari Electrical Engineer III Mercury Systems – Trusted Mission Solutions 47200 Bayside Parkway Fremont, CA 94538, USA Phone: +1 (510) 252-0870
0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel

Hello @DMall3​ 

I confirmed with the engineers that there is no specific command to only program the MAC address.

As a suggested workaround you could create a script, to generate an empty image that just contains the MAC address, and then you can provide that empty image as input file ot the EepromAccessTool.

You can take a look to at the I210 Dashboard Section 6.0 and the EepromAccessTool Userg Guide section 5.0 for more information.

Best regards,

Adolfo Sanchez

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @DMall3​:

Thanks for your update.

We suggest you review our update of the past Thursday April 18th, 2019 that may answer your questions.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos
DMall3
Beginner
Hi Maecenas, I’m a bit confused with your response. I don’t understand what you mean by your statement, can you please clarify and elaborate further your statement? Regards, Dan
0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

​Hello, @DMall3​:

Thanks for your reply.

Please let us paraphrase our previous communication.

Could you please clarify if you try the suggestions stated in @AdolfoS_Intel​'s communication of the past April, 18th, 2019?

We are waiting for your answer.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​. 

0 Kudos
DMall3
Beginner
Hi Maecenas, I’m still waiting for your response to clarify your statement below, “We suggest you review our update of the past Thursday April 18th, 2019 that may answer your questions.“ Where is the past update you are referencing to? Was the update sent to me via email? Or is the update posted in the Intel forum? Anyways, I did looked into my email inbox as well as SPAM folder and also on the forum and didn’t see any update to my issue. So again please clarify what it is you mean by reviewing the update. FYI – I would also like to remind you and to reiterate the urgency in needing and getting the solution to resolve the MAC Address programming of the i210 in an ARM based design. Regards, Dan
0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @DMall3​:

Thanks for your clarification.

The cited update is the following:

Adolfos reply April 18 2019.JPG

It is important to clarify that the i210 Datasheet should be used instead of the mentioned Dashboard.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos