Embedded Connectivity
Intel network controllers, Firmware, and drivers support systems
870 Discussions

i210 Guidance programming iNVM

BrianLPR
Novice

Hello, 

I'm trying to program the i210, to be recognized by our inhouse designed carrier board for ATOM som.  The linux OS is able to recognize but not create the link layer.  These i210s were puchased from Arrow blank.  Unable to program.

1) Where can I find tools and .bin/files are the correct steps to program?

2) What are the required steps to program?

3) After programming will I be able to modify MAC address to company specific MAC address?

Attaching screenshots of failed attempts. Not sure if i have correct software or versions. 

regards, 

Brian 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Diego_INTEL

Hello @BrianLPR,

Regarding your latest comment, the issue is in a card from your design but you have tested in another board with an i210 and you could properly change the MAC address?

Have you performed an schematic review regarding your design? Or verified the schematic checklist documents we have?

Which version of i210 are you using?

Best regards,

@Diego_INTEL 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Diego_INTEL

Hello @BrianLPR,

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

You can check the following in RDC:

-NVM Update from #348742 - Intel® Network Connections Tools 28.3 PV LAN Software Tools.

-#572162 - EEPROM Access Tool [EAT].

-#513655 - Intel® Ethernet Controller I210 and I211- AT Production NVM Images.

In the #513655 there is a file called Programming iNVM in i211, this document is applicable to the i210 too.

Also, you may try updating the driver as this may help too.

Check first with the NVM Update, if it doesn't work you can use EAT.

And yes, you may be able to update the MAC with these tools.

You will need a Premier account in order to get access to these documents.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000058073/programs/resource-and-documentation-center.html

Best regards,

@Diego_INTEL 

0 Kudos
BrianLPR
Novice

Hi Diego, 

After installing the tools from 348742, ran eeupdate using the proper ...Copper_NoAPM.txt file following the commands from #513655.  I still get the same error.   Aside from replacing the ethernet controller with another one.  Is there something else I can try before doing this? 

Thanks

0 Kudos
BrianLPR
Novice

Hi Diego, 

I switched the ethernet controller with a brand new one.  clean slate.  I was able to program with an unmodified "...Copper_NoAPM.txt" file with the MAC address.  However, after power cycle ran /mac_dump command and returned all 000000000's for the mac address.  

It is not the software tools or the OS environment, I was able to prove this on a network adapter card with a i210 ethernet controller onboard and was able to change the mac address on it using the command line interface of the lancof tool.  

I'm wondering if there is a pin that needs to be pulled up on the controller that i'm not aware of or something inherently wrong on our board design.  

Thanks. 

Brian 

0 Kudos
Diego_INTEL

Hello @BrianLPR,

Regarding your latest comment, the issue is in a card from your design but you have tested in another board with an i210 and you could properly change the MAC address?

Have you performed an schematic review regarding your design? Or verified the schematic checklist documents we have?

Which version of i210 are you using?

Best regards,

@Diego_INTEL 

0 Kudos
BrianLPR
Novice

Hello @Diego_INTEL , 

In response to your questions. 

1) You are correct, I was able to properly change the MAC address  on another off the shelf NIC adapter with an i210. 

2) I have not done a schematic review regarding our design.  Can you direct us to that portal/link?  

3) Verifying has not been done against the document by myself, but may have been done by the original creator of the schematic.  Can you also direct me to this document?

4) We are using the I210-IT part number WGI210ITSLJXT from arrow.

Our current design does not make use of an external flash.  But we are also planning a design with flash. 

Adding edit... Looking at the reference design and our schematic.  I noticed we are not using the NC-SI connections, and have them floating or NC. 

Please confirm if they need to either be pulled up or down per reference design.  Pins 2,3,5,6,7,8,9, 43,44.

Thanks, 

-Brian

0 Kudos
BrianLPR
Novice

@Diego_INTEL 

I want to thank you for your help ! 

I was able to program the MAC address.  The issue was with pin 14 being pulled down, instead of it being pulled up. 

Kind Regards, 

Brian 

Diego_INTEL

Hello @BrianLPR,

You are very welcome, I'm glad that you could find what the issue was and thank you very much for sharing, very useful to have it publicly.

Best regards,

@Diego_INTEL 

0 Kudos