Embedded Connectivity
Intel network controllers, Firmware, and drivers support systems
848 Discussions

i210/i211 eeupdate on DOS - This program cannot be run in DOS mode

blackcapacitor

I am trying to program the iNVM on an I211AT Ethernet controller from a DOS bootable USB using the eeupdate utility, but am running into a few issues.  For one, I am not exactly sure which of the many eeupdate tools in document 348742 download (Quartzville Tools) to use - there are folders for all supported operating systems, expect for DOS.

When I do try to execute the WIN32 EEUPDATEW32.exe application from DOS, it returns: "This program cannot be run in DOS mode".  Does anyone know what the issue is?  Am I using the wrong eeupdate application?  Does the version of DOS I am using just not allow this application to be executed?

I would greatly appreciate any help on this issue.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Blackcapacitor,

Thank you for posting in our Intel® Ethernet Communities Page.

Since your issue is regarding an embedded Intel Ethernet Adapter that you are trying to update, we need to route this thread to the correct group so you will be better assisted by the proper team.

Please wait for their reply within 1 to 2 business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Blackcapacitor,

Thank you for posting in our Intel® Ethernet Communities Page.

Since your issue is regarding an embedded Intel Ethernet Adapter that you are trying to update, we need to route this thread to the correct group so you will be better assisted by the proper team.

Please wait for their reply within 1 to 2 business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @blackcapacitor:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

We suggest verifying that you fulfill the requirements stated in the Installing the tool on DOS section of the Intel(R) EEUpdate Release Notes document included in the DOCS file of the Intel® Network Connections Tools 25.2 PV LAN Software Tools document # 348742. It can be found when you are logged into your Resource & Design Center (RDC) privileged account on the following website:

http://www.intel.com/cd/edesign/library/asmo-na/eng/348742.htm

The RDC Account Support form is the channel to process your account update request or report any inconveniences with the provided site. It can be found at:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/forms/support/my-intel-sign-on-support.html

Best Regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
blackcapacitor

Hi,

Yes, I have read the "eeupdate.txt" file in the DOCS folder of the 348742 download, but that does not answer my first question - can you tell me which of the "EEUPDATE" applications located in the TOOLS folder that I need to use on DOS?  Is it the "EEUPDATEW32.exe" one located in the "Win32" folder?  Or is it a different one?

I don't see a folder for "DOS" so I at least need to verify that I am trying to use the correct application.

Thanks,

Chase

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @blackcapacitor:

Thanks for your reply.

Based on your replies, we want to address the following questions to have a complete view of this situation:

Could you please let us know what the DOS that you are using (name of the developer, version, and other details)?

Could you please provide the procedure that you are following to run the DOS related to this situation?

We are waiting for your answer to these questions.

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
blackcapacitor

Hi,

Yes, I can definitely provide that information.  I am using FreeDOS (version 7.10), which I am running from a bootable USB drive (1GB thumbdrive).  I imaged the USB with the Rufus tool (v3.11).

With the bootable USB created, I then copy the "EEUPDATEW32.exe" application from the "Win32" folder in TOOLS from document 348742, along with the I211 production image text file, onto the root of the bootable DOS USB.

I then boot my i7-7820EQ COM Express computer from the bootable DOS USB and then try to run the "EEUPDATEW32.exe" application.  DOS returns "Cannot run program from DOS mode". 

So the question is, am I using the correct EEUPDATE application?  Or am I using a wrong/incompatible version of DOS?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @blackcapacitor:

Thanks for your reply.

Based on your last communication, could you please try to reproduce this situation using a DOS version developed by Microsoft and let us know the results?

We are waiting for your reply.

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
blackcapacitor

Hi @CarlosAM_INTEL

Can you please at least let me know if I am using the correct eeupdate application to run on DOS?  Is the "EEUPDATEW32.exe" application from the Win32 the right one to use with DOS?  I still have not gotten an answer to my first question.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @blackcapacitor:

Thanks for your reply.

In case that the cited .exe file is included in the latest version of the Intel(R) Network Connections Tools 25.2 (at this moment) PV LAN Software Tools document # 348742. Also, you can found it when you are logged into your RDC privileged account as well, on the following website:

http://www.intel.com/cd/edesign/library/asmo-na/eng/348742.htm

It is correct for the cited use.

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
blackcapacitor

Hi @CarlosAM_INTEL

That still doesn't answer the question - can you tell me which of the folders within the "TOOLS" folder (i.e. Win32, Win64, EFI_x64, Linux64, etc.) do I need to use with DOS?  There obviously is no "DOS" folder in the Network Connections Tools 25.2 download at this moment, so which one do I need to use for DOS?

Also that link you sent me does not work.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @blackcapacitor:

Thanks for your reply.

Attached you may find the DOS location.

By the way, the procedure step by step on how to run it is the following:

C:\Users\User\OneDrive -  Corporation\Desktop\Server\Ethernet Training\Lanconf\TOOLS\Winx64\OEM_Mfg>install /y   

Welcome to the Tools driver installation program.

After installation of the driver (iqvw64e.sys), the tool can be invoked.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Checking to see if iqvw64e.sys exists on system

No existing iqvw64e.sys file exists

Copying iqvw64e.sys file to C:\windows\system32\drivers

1 file(s) copied.

Installing INF file

Microsoft PnP Utility

Processing inf :            iqvw64e.inf

Driver package added successfully.

Published name :            oem153.inf

Total attempted:              1

Number successfully imported: 1

Installation done!  You can now invoke the tool.  To exit,

Press any key to continue . . .

C:\Users\User\OneDrive - Corporation\Desktop\Server\Ethernet Training\Lanconf\TOOLS\Winx64\OEM_Mfg>dir

Volume in drive C is OSDisk

Volume Serial Number is EC58-DC3C

Directory of C:\Users\User\OneDrive -  Corporation\Desktop\Server\Ethernet Training\Lanconf\TOOLS\Winx64\OEM_Mfg

09/28/2020  12:44 PM    <DIR>          .

09/28/2020  12:44 PM    <DIR>          ..

04/19/2019  03:13 AM         4,263,424 celow64e.exe

04/26/2019  05:55 AM         4,374,040 EEUPDATEW64e.exe

10/12/2018  06:21 AM             3,303 install.bat

10/12/2018  06:21 AM            10,209 iqvw64e.cat

10/12/2018  06:21 AM             2,386 iqvw64e.inf

10/12/2018  06:21 AM            58,520 iqvw64e.sys

04/18/2019  05:47 AM         5,280,200 nvmupdatew64e.exe

7 File(s)     13,992,082 bytes

2 Dir(s)  350,339,190,784 bytes free

C:\Users\User\OneDrive -  Corporation\Desktop\Server\Ethernet Training\Lanconf\TOOLS\Winx64\OEM_Mfg>EEUPDATEW64e.exe

Using: Intel (R) PRO Network Connections SDK v2.33.15

EEUPDATE v5.33.15.02

Copyright (C) 1995 - 2019 Intel Corporation

Intel (R) Confidential and not for general distribution.

Warning: No Adapter Selected

NIC Bus Dev Fun Vendor-Device  Branding string

=== === === === ============= =================================================

1   0  31  06   8086-15BD    Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (6) I219-LM

C:\Users\arabbani\OneDrive - Intel Corporation\Desktop\Server\Ethernet Training\Lanconf\TOOLS\Winx64\OEM_Mfg>

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
blackcapacitor

Hi, 

I think I found the solution through a different thread - as it turns out, there is a different download for the Network Connection Tools document (348743) for the DOS specific software.  So none of the tools available in the document 348742 would work on DOS.

Intel® Network Connections Tools 24.1 PV DOS only LAN Software Tools  https://cdrdv2.intel.com/v1/dl/getContent/348743

CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @blackcapacitor:

Thanks for your reply, also to share your experience.

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos