Embedded Connectivity
Intel network controllers, Firmware, and drivers support systems
848 Discussions

i210: support for refclock polarity inversion

jkorsnes
Novice

The i210 ethernet controller supports PCIe polarity inversion. I believe this is a requirement for a PCIe receiver, and its support is mentioned in the i210 data sheet. Is polarity inversion supported on the reference clock diff pair? Maybe this is not applicable to refclock since it's a clock signal?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
jkorsnes
Novice

We decided to go through with the polarity inversion on the clock in order to ease the PCB layout. So far, it seems to work well.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Achilles_Intel

Hello jkorsnes,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities.

Before we could proceed with your inquiry, can you confirm the following details for us?

1. Are you checking into a specific I210 Ethernet controller? May we ask what model would it be?
  2. May we why you need this specific information?

Let us know if you have questions. If we do not hear from you, we will make sure to make a follow-up after 3 business days.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Best regards,

Achilles M.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
jkorsnes
Novice

Hi Achilles,

Sure I can. See my answers below

1. Are you checking into a specific I210 Ethernet controller? May we ask what model would it be?
    • We're using the I210-IS Ethernet controller.
  2. May we why you need this specific information?
    • We need this information to determine if we can simplify our PCB routing.

Kind regards,

Johan

0 Kudos
Achilles_Intel

Hello jkorsnes,

Thank you for the quick response.

Based on these information, it seems you are designing a system using this Ethernet controller. We have a specific forum for these inquiries. For faster responses and better assistance with your query, we will transfer the thread to the designated team. Please wait for their response within 1-2 business days.

Thank you and have a great day.

Best regards,

Achilles M.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel

Hello, @jkorsnes 

We have received your case and will provide more information as soon as possible.

Best Regards,

@Adolfo_S_Intel 

0 Kudos
jkorsnes
Novice

Hi @Adolfo_S_Intel!

Do you have any updates on this?

Kind regards,

Johan

0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel

Hello, @jkorsnes ,

I have not found any indication on the available Intel documentation, nor on the PCI specification that indicates that polarity inversion is supported on reflclk.

Based on that I would advise against it.

Best Regards,

@Adolfo_S_Intel 

0 Kudos
jkorsnes
Novice

We decided to go through with the polarity inversion on the clock in order to ease the PCB layout. So far, it seems to work well.

0 Kudos