Embedded Connectivity
Intel network controllers, Firmware, and drivers support systems
845 Discussions

i350 chip min operating temperature

FRAGU1
Beginner

We are using a i350 chip (NHI350AM4) on a custom board.

The datasheet gives a min temperature of -10°C

However, we observe that when the board temperature is reaching -8°C the chip is not working properly anymore,

What is the exact minimum operating temperature? Is there a way to purchase extented temperature range components?

Thanks

Francis

0 Kudos
10 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Sorry for being facetious, but what good would this capability be when the operating range for the processors and chipsets only goes down to 0c?

...S

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello FRAGU1,

Base on your inquiry, we have specific forum for these issues and I will be transferring this thread for faster response. 

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technicians

0 Kudos
FRAGU1
Beginner

Hello

Thanks for this answer

However, can you give me the link for this specific forum ?

As far as I know I didn't get any answer yet,

Kind regards,

Francis

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @FRAGU1:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

The temperature values with proper functioning results for various lots of devices are named operating range.  

On the other hand, your purchase questions or requests should be addressed to the channel mentioned in the following website:

https://plan.seek.intel.com/SMARTForm_ICS

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
FRAGU1
Beginner

Hello @FRAGU1 

Thanks for your answer,

I agree with you about the operating temperature which is -10°C for the min value

But what we are facing is that we have some components working below -10°C, and some other that are not working below 0°C...

Do you have any explanation

Kind regards

Francis

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @FRAGU1:

Thanks for your update.

Based on your answer it is unclear if the components cited by you are i350 controllers or other devices. Could you please clarify this?

In case that they are the cited ethernet controllers, could you please let us know how many units of the project related to this circumstance have been manufactured? How many are affected? Could you please give the failure rate? Also, could you please list the sources that you have used to design it and if it has been verified by Intel?

Could you please give pictures of the top side markings of the affected controllers?

Finally, could you please explain the procedure that you have used to determine this condition?

We are waiting for your reply.

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
FRAGU1
Beginner

Hello @Maecenas_INTEL @Mæcenas_INTEL

Thank you for the response;

Here are some explanation:

• We have designed a board with a i350 component, reference: NHI350AM4
  • The board is intended to have an operational temperature range between +55°C and -40°C
  • The datasheet of the i350 gives an operational temperature range between +55°C and -10°C (we are out of range for min temperature)
  • However, when starting at -40°C we are “waiting” for an elevation of the temperature for several time before considering the board is operational (in order to reach -10°C on the i350 component)
  • We are in preindustrialisation phase and we want to characterize our boad
    • 3 boards tested
      • One  working until -16°C, in failure at lower T°C (OK)
      • One  working until -9°C, in failure at lower T°C (KO, because the temperature is greater than -10°C)
      • One  working until -6°C, in failure at lower T°C (KO, because the temperature is greater than -10°C)
    • This is a major issue for us so that we would like to find out some solution
  • Our question are:
    • Why are some component not working with a temperature greater than -10°C?
    • Is there a way to buy NHI350AM4 component with an extended range of temperature ? (for min values particularly) ?
    • We also planning to perform NHI350AM4 component sorting in order to use only the ones working at a specified temperature threshold (-20°C, or below). Do you have any feedback regarding to such a process. Which failure rate can we expect in this case?

This point is A MAJOR ISSUE, I would be very pleased to get answer to these questions.

The required amount of working component will be around 1000.

Please let me know

Kind regards,

Francis

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @FRAGU1:

Thanks for your reply.

We have sent an email to help you.

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
FRAGU1
Beginner

Hello

I’m a bit disappointed,

I opened a support request (ref : 04707829) but I didn’t get any response yet (since 24th of June)

Could you please give me some update?

Thanks,

Francis

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @FRAGU1:

Thanks for your reply.

We have contacted you via email again.

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos