Embedded Intel Atom® Processors
Technological Conversations about Intel Atom® Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics

Bay Trail Power Calculation

QDinh
Beginner

Is there an guideline to show how to calculate the power consumption of Bay Trail E3826 at worst case condition? Per datasheet, TDP of E3826 is 7W but it doesn't match with the power calculated by using the power rail DC specs and max current table. For example, only VNN at 10A @1.05V max, P>10W which hasn't counted for other supplies. Do I miss anything here? or I don't understand how the Atom works.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Josue_C_Intel
Employee

Hello Quinn Dinh.

Welcome to Intel® Embedded Community.

We are checking your thread and will post an update as soon as possible.

Regards.

Josue.

0 Kudos
Josue_C_Intel
Employee

Hello Quinn Dinh.

We are going to upload the document # 539899, Intel (R) Atom (TM) E3800 Product Family - Power Thermal Utility (PTU), Rev1.5 - Windows 8 32-bit

to the EDC Library.

We will let you know when this file is available.

Regards.

Josue.

0 Kudos
Natalie_Z_Intel
Employee

Welcome back, Quinn! The document that will be posted, 539899, is classified as Intel confidential. Your permissions will allow you to access it once it is uploaded to the EDC. Josue will let you know when it is there. LynnZ.

0 Kudos
QDinh
Beginner

Hi Josue,

I got the utility downloaded but I don't think this is what I'm looking for since I don't have the actual hw yet. As a hw designer, I'm looking for a way to estimate the power consumption and thermal dissipation prior to design a hw to be able to handle the worst case. My estimation is based on the voltage and current consumption provided by the Atom datasheet and the estimated result is more than 3 times the max power consumption provided by the datasheet. For example, E3826 TDP is 7W max but I got more that 23W based on the sum of all simple I*V supplies. I wonder if I miss anything or there is other way to calculate the max power consumption.

0 Kudos
Josue_C_Intel
Employee

Hello Quinn Dinh.

We are going to upload the document # 329645-001, Intel® Atom Processor E3800, Product Family Thermal Design Guide, October 2013.

to the EDC Library.

If your project follow the indications mentioned in this document, Intel® guarantees the best performance and power dissipation.

We will let you know when this file is available.

Regards.

Josue.

0 Kudos
Gregg_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi Quinn,

I am pleased to see that you are finding value in working with our Embedded Community (EC) support team. Since we haven't spoken to each other before, I would like to introduce myself as the Intel Account Manager working with SpaceX. In fact, myself, and my Applications Engineer (Alex) have been working with Helen, Peter, and Chris over the past couple of months in order to determine the most effective way for our teams to work together.

Meanwhile, if you have additional questions that you would like to direct to our EC folks, please continue to do so. However, if those questions relate to the current project that we have been discussing with Chris, it would be helpful for me to be copied on that correspondence.

I look forward to working with you; take care,

Gregg Zeutzius

Intel Sales Account Manager

971 214-3494

0 Kudos
Josue_C_Intel
Employee

Hello Quinn Dinh.

The document https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/embedded/products/bay-trail/atom-e3800-m-d-i-soc-thermal-design-guide.html?wapkw=329645 # 329645-001, Intel® Atom Processor E3800, Product Family Thermal Design Guide, October 2013 is now available in the EDC Library.

Best Regards.

Josue.

0 Kudos