Embedded Intel Atom® Processors
Technological Conversations about Intel Atom® Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics
1149 Discussions

EG20T UART Driver transmitting on load. Anyway around this?

EShem1
Novice

Using the latest driver version for EG20T UART under Windows Embedded Standard 2009, I've noticed the UART is transmitting something on system boot (driver load?). This in turn causes an error when my application starts communicating with the peripheral device (as it already has something in the input buffer).

Did anyone see this phenomenon?

Anyway around this?

0 Kudos
16 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Ely,

Welcome back to the Intel Embedded community.

We're working on your case and will post an update as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Jimmy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Ely,

Please provide the following information:

1. Have you experienced this issue on another OS?

2. Which drivers are you using?

3. Could you please tell me which processor you're using, and also the s-spec number?

Thanks.

Jimmy.

0 Kudos
EShem1
Novice

Hi Jimmy,

Thanks for picking this up.

1. I did not have any other OS on that hardware, however, jugging from the timing of the phenomenon, I can conclude it's not caused by hardware. On old hardware we were running under Windows CE and all was fine.

2. I'm using:

Intel(R) Platform Controller Hub EG20T Drivers

For Windows XP* and Windows Embedded POS Ready

Copyright (c) 2013, Intel Corporation and/or its suppliers and licensors. All rights reserved.

Version 2.7.0

3. The processor is Atom E680. What's "s-spec number" ?

Ely

0 Kudos
Natalie_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi, Ely. While Jimmy is checking into your problem I thought that I'd point out that the Atom E680 and the EG20T are Intel's http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/intelligent-systems/queens-bay/embedded-intel-atom-e6xx-series-with-intel-platform-controller-hub-eg20t.html Queens Bay platform. Here is thehttp://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/datasheets/platform-controller-hub-eg20t-datasheet.pdf datasheet to the EG20T. Hope this is helpful. LynnZ

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Ely,

Thanks for your reply.

I recommend you this guide:

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-031392.htm Product Specifications and Comparisons: How to Find Your sSpec Number

We'll continue looking into this issue and as soon as we have more information, we'll get back you.

Thanks for the input rosswatanabe, good suggestion.

Regards,

Jimmy.

EShem1
Novice

Thanks Lynn. Since I'm using a ready made hardware this is not so helpful Sorry... Ely

0 Kudos
EShem1
Novice

Thanks Jimmy.

I do not have access to the processor or it's packaging.

I'm using a ready made hardware and the processor is buried under a screwed on heat-sink.

is that information really critical for fixing an issue with a driver that handles another IC?

Ely

0 Kudos
RWata1
New Contributor I

Some suggestions:

Are you sure the issue is the driver and not the BIOS? You can determine this by booting DOS.

A quick work around for this issue would be to clear the peripherals input buffer on start up.

Ross

0 Kudos
EShem1
Novice

Thanks for the suggestions Ross.

Yes, I'm pretty sure it's not the BIOS.

The peripheral devices are already turned on when the computer boots.

I can not modify their firmware and modifying my application to clear the start-up error is an obvious work-around but not the best solution.

Still hopping for a driver fix...

Ely

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Ely,

I requested the s-spec number in order to gather the most information possible. For the time being it's OK, if we do need it I'll request it again.

Can you confirm the suggestion, that was provided by rosswatanabe, about flushing the buffers after boot?

Are you able to reproduce this issue on another OS?

We're currently looking for a previous version of the driver, so that we can try to rule out a driver issue.

We have also consulted with the next level of support on this case. we'll keep you updated and let you know any new information.

Best regards,

Jimmy.

0 Kudos
EShem1
Novice

Jimmy,

Already replied to that suggestion - can not be done (can not modify peripheral device firmware).

Another OS means another driver... Results there will not mean anything.

Anyway, no - I can not test with another OS.

I tend to believe it's a driver issue... Can you reproduce it with the same driver version?

What testing can you do?

Ely

idata
Employee

Hello Ely,

we continue to work on this issue, we're trying to set up a test for your case. We'll get back to you as soon as we have results.

In the meantime I have sent to your e-mail a previous version of this driver, V2.4.1. Could you try using this driver and lets us know if the same issue occurs.

Regards,

Jimmy.

0 Kudos
Gabriel_T_Intel
Employee

Hello Ely,

We would like to know if you were able to try the driver?

Did you have any positive results?

Please let us know your comments.

Regards,

Gabriel Thomas

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello Ely,

Could you please let us know if you have any update related to this?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Best Regards,

Carlos A.

0 Kudos
EShem1
Novice

Carlos,

As it turned out, mostly, one particular device was sensitive to this phenomenon. Not all of them...

I have incorporated a mechanism in my application to enable me to ignore any errors, following power on, from devices while making sure they do not lose the first meaningful command being sent to them.

This code patch has been tested and was just approved by our customer.

Thanks,

Ely

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello Ely,

Thanks for your reply.

Please do not hesitate to let us know if there is something else that we can help you with.

Best Regards,

Carlos A.

0 Kudos