Embedded Intel Atom® Processors
Technological Conversations about Intel Atom® Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics
1154 Discussions

EMGD for WEC7 on Celeron N2930 works but how to change resolution?

LTa
Beginner

Hi gurus:

I downloaded the EMGD, INTEL_EMGD_BYT_WEC7_MR2_36.16.2_2006, for my board which has the N2930 on it. The package contains the driver files, which consists of all the DLL, REL, LIB files, a utility CEDriverInfo.exe, and the user guide, but no REG file. I followed the section 5.2.2.2 and was able to get the video driver to load and run for WEC7. The platform I used is from downloaded from adeano-embedded.com, file name is "Intel Processor WEC7 IO BSP.msi". The instruction on section 5.3 (Configuring Intel® EMGD for Microsoft Windows Embedded Compact 7*/ Windows Embedded Compact 2013*) says something about the MBI, and the VBT which appears not applicable to my application. First the BMP utility is not available to end user, but manufacturer as answered in the below link.

https://communities.intel.com/message/55211# 55211 Intel BMP utility for editing VBIOS | Intel Communities

Second, the VBIOS VBT seems for BIOS development. And I am not.

I tried to use the existing EMGD.REG from different version, but it would crash the system.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hi Long,

That's just awesome!

The incompatibility not only refers to the board support package and graphics driver.

Other factors include emgd.reg since it is no longer implemented and also the video bios that's used

I'm glad to hear that you got emgd mr2 working with bsp mr1 even though it had mention to be unsupported.

We can further see how would this go since I'm also uncertain with as to what issue could happen.

Issues on the color as what you have described to be "light yellowish" occurs for different versions of video bios used together with the emgd driver.

The right version which is usually the latest needs to be used together with the bmp tool to either generate the mbi file or modify the video bios table.

While we go and check on your profiles privilege, here is another suggestion.

On Adeneo webpage we go to where you mentioned those 4 files that you can download. > NTL-Atom-WEC7 > Intel-Atom-WEC7-SRC

Download the third file which is Intel_EMGD_BETA_WEC7.

This is a previous release prior to the MR1 and it comes along with emgd.reg.

Use this version to built with bsp mr1 and if this version of emgd driver is compatible with your existing video bios the color issue will be gone.

If you wanted,you can go try play on this. Best of luck!

Best Regards,

Leon

View solution in original post

26 Replies
Josue_C_Intel
Employee

Hello Long Ta,

Welcome to the Intel® Embedded Community.

We are checking your thread and will post an update as soon as possible.

Regards,

Josue.

0 Kudos
Josue_C_Intel
Employee

Hello Long Ta,

What kind of display devices are you using?

We were looking http://www.adeneo-embedded.com/Products/Board-Support-Packages/Intel Windows Embedded CE 6.0 / Compact 7 BSPs for Atom Series from http://www.adeneo-embedded.com/ Adeneo Embedded , we didn't find any resources for Intel® Celeron® Processor N2930.

Best Regards.

Josue.

0 Kudos
LTa
Beginner

Hi Josue,

On Adeneo Embedded website, http://www.adeneo-embedded.com/Products/Board-Support-Packages/Intel Windows Embedded Compact BSP for Intel Atom, you can see in the third table, there are 5 entries, the third one is Atom_WEC7 Source BSP - Windows Embedded Compact 7. After you log into the download page, you will see four items:

1. Intel_WEC7_BSP_3.2.0 ...

2. Intel EMGD Display driver

3. Intel_EMGD_BETA_WEC7

4. Intel Processor WEC7 IO

I downloaded item # 4, which is Intel Processor WEC7 IO. The user guide says in its tittle:

BSP for Windows* Embedded Compact 7 (WEC7) for Intel® Atom™ Processor E3800 Product Family /

Intel® Celeron® Processor N2807/N2930/J1900

The display is embedded in the Celeron N2930, which is Intel Graphic.

Thank you.

Long

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Long,

The EMGD MR2 version has to be built with the MR2 board support package as mentioned in the release notes of the EMGD MR2.

The correct VBIOS is a must since it's also indicated in the release notes that EMGD driver does not support GMA VBIOS.

Starting from EMGD MR1 version the method of using the emgd.reg file in EMGD for Bay Trail had been opted out and either VBT or MBI will be used.

It's best to use the latest versions for graphics driver, video bios and board support package to lessen the chances of getting issues or incompatibility.

The crash could be due to incompatibility with the versions that were used.

Regards,

Leon

LTa
Beginner

Hi Leon,

So I need either the BSP for Bay Trail version MR2 to work with the EMGD MR2 that I have downloaded. I tried to download the BSP version MR2 from http://www.adeneo-embedded.com/Products/Board-Support-Packages/Intel/%28processor%29/16483 Windows Embedded Compact BSP for Intel Atom which points to an Intel web page where I had to log in. After logging in, it says that I don't have the access right. Can you please help me on that? thank you.

Long

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Long,

That's right, both board support package and the graphic driver needs to have the same version which is the maintenance release 2.

I will help you to check what else is required since the account used to login doesn't have the privilege to access the file.

Regards,

Leon

0 Kudos
LTa
Beginner

Hi Leon,

So currently I have the BSP that is of MR1, and the EMGD MR2. If I don't use any registry setting other than those specified in the UsersGuide.pdf than the system won't crash. The regsistry setting are shown on page 17, section 5.1.2.2. The system runs, but the default resolution is low, 640 x 786, and also the color is light yellowish. I need to change the resolution/color. You said it crashed because it could be due to incompatibility. But even if I have the BSP MR2 or EMGD MR1 to play with, I would not know how to change the resolution if the emgd.reg is no longer the way to do so. Do I need the BMP? According to the instruction, BMP is used to generate a parameter file called MBI based on a given VBIOS file and then incorporate that to the nk.bin file. The problem with this is (1) I don't have the VBIOS file, (2) BMP tool is not available from Intel for end user as said in my original post. So before pursuing obtaining these two items, I'd like to know if that would solve my problem or not, that is the configure the resolution/color of the display. Sorry, everything is new to me. If there is any post/document or links to the BSP MR2,OR emgd MR1 please show.

Regards,

Long

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Long,

That's just awesome!

The incompatibility not only refers to the board support package and graphics driver.

Other factors include emgd.reg since it is no longer implemented and also the video bios that's used

I'm glad to hear that you got emgd mr2 working with bsp mr1 even though it had mention to be unsupported.

We can further see how would this go since I'm also uncertain with as to what issue could happen.

Issues on the color as what you have described to be "light yellowish" occurs for different versions of video bios used together with the emgd driver.

The right version which is usually the latest needs to be used together with the bmp tool to either generate the mbi file or modify the video bios table.

While we go and check on your profiles privilege, here is another suggestion.

On Adeneo webpage we go to where you mentioned those 4 files that you can download. > NTL-Atom-WEC7 > Intel-Atom-WEC7-SRC

Download the third file which is Intel_EMGD_BETA_WEC7.

This is a previous release prior to the MR1 and it comes along with emgd.reg.

Use this version to built with bsp mr1 and if this version of emgd driver is compatible with your existing video bios the color issue will be gone.

If you wanted,you can go try play on this. Best of luck!

Best Regards,

Leon

Kirk_B_Intel
Employee

If you look at the BMP Tool for the emgd vbios (or GOP) with the latest VBIOS release, you will see a special WEC section we had to add to support the WEC specific settings (needed to be in the firmware so pre-boot display works properly). WEC is only supported by the embedded team so that is why you have to use the EMGD VBIOS (or GOP) on WEC.

This IS described in the User Guide for MR2. When you get the proper BSP, you should take a look at those revised instructions.

0 Kudos
LTa
Beginner

Hi Leon,

I tried the Intel_EMGD_BETA_WEC7_V36.16.0_3744.zip and that works great. It comes with the emgd.reg where I can change the settings. Thank you very much for your help.

If you can provide the BSP MR2 will will try that out too, but in the mean time, this is good enough for the BSP MR1. Thank you very much for you help.

Long

0 Kudos
HONG_L_Intel
Employee

Hi Long,

My name is Phil Lin, intel Sales Account Manager, mind if I can get your contact information that i can contact you. My contact infor below.

Phil Lin

Sales Account Manager

971-214-5046

mailto:phil.lin@intel.com phil.lin@intel.com

0 Kudos
LTa
Beginner

Please contact ICP America, Inc. (760) 598-2176

0 Kudos
HONG_L_Intel
Employee

Long,

Please let me know when you are ready chat.

Phil

0 Kudos
Natalie_Z_Intel
Employee

Hello, Long! Phil Lin, your Intel Sales Account Manager, will call or email you to further discuss your project and help to get the content that you need. Have a nice weekend! LynnZ

0 Kudos
LTa
Beginner

Ok. Please tell me where on the web where I can start the chat now. Thx.

0 Kudos
Natalie_Z_Intel
Employee

Hello, Long! Phil will reach out to you via phone or email. LynnZ.

0 Kudos
HONG_L_Intel
Employee

Hi Long,

Please take a look the attachment via email, hope it helps

Regards

Phil

0 Kudos
LTa
Beginner

Hello Kirk,

Where can I download the BMP Tool for the EMGD VBIOS? And where can I download the latest VBIOS release? I am totally stuck and have no idea how to get the resolution to what I want. Please help. Thank you.

Long

0 Kudos
Kirk_B_Intel
Employee

Latest generally/publically available code is here:

https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/embedded/products/bay-trail/overview.html Intel® Atom™ processor E3800 Product Family

The BMP tool is in the TOOLS directory in the release. You probably DO want to update to the latest BSP as we are not supporting the old .reg methodology any longer.

For other tools and such it helps if you you are a direct customer of Intel and have access to the Intel VIP site at http://http//platformsw.intel.com http://platformsw.intel.com where our NDA customers can access a wider range of releases and tools. You would want to be sure to be part of the "Embedded Customers" distribution list in VIP.

0 Kudos
LTa
Beginner

Kirk,

The link you showed takes me to the overview page of the Atom/Celeron processor family. But where is the code? Can you be a little more specific? I don't remember how many times I have been on that page, but the what are the available code? And where? The download page shows a section Board Support Packages, and for what I need it points to Adeneo-Embedded and I have been there many times already. I already got the BSP MR2 from them and the EMGD MR2 from Intel website already, none having anything like the TOOLS directory. Please be specific as to where the download page is and the link if you know where. Thank you.

Long

0 Kudos