Embedded Intel Atom® Processors
Technological Conversations about Intel Atom® Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics
1154 Discussions

EMGD for WEC7 on Celeron N2930 works but how to change resolution?

LTa
Beginner

Hi gurus:

I downloaded the EMGD, INTEL_EMGD_BYT_WEC7_MR2_36.16.2_2006, for my board which has the N2930 on it. The package contains the driver files, which consists of all the DLL, REL, LIB files, a utility CEDriverInfo.exe, and the user guide, but no REG file. I followed the section 5.2.2.2 and was able to get the video driver to load and run for WEC7. The platform I used is from downloaded from adeano-embedded.com, file name is "Intel Processor WEC7 IO BSP.msi". The instruction on section 5.3 (Configuring Intel® EMGD for Microsoft Windows Embedded Compact 7*/ Windows Embedded Compact 2013*) says something about the MBI, and the VBT which appears not applicable to my application. First the BMP utility is not available to end user, but manufacturer as answered in the below link.

https://communities.intel.com/message/55211# 55211 Intel BMP utility for editing VBIOS | Intel Communities

Second, the VBIOS VBT seems for BIOS development. And I am not.

I tried to use the existing EMGD.REG from different version, but it would crash the system.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hi Long,

That's just awesome!

The incompatibility not only refers to the board support package and graphics driver.

Other factors include emgd.reg since it is no longer implemented and also the video bios that's used

I'm glad to hear that you got emgd mr2 working with bsp mr1 even though it had mention to be unsupported.

We can further see how would this go since I'm also uncertain with as to what issue could happen.

Issues on the color as what you have described to be "light yellowish" occurs for different versions of video bios used together with the emgd driver.

The right version which is usually the latest needs to be used together with the bmp tool to either generate the mbi file or modify the video bios table.

While we go and check on your profiles privilege, here is another suggestion.

On Adeneo webpage we go to where you mentioned those 4 files that you can download. > NTL-Atom-WEC7 > Intel-Atom-WEC7-SRC

Download the third file which is Intel_EMGD_BETA_WEC7.

This is a previous release prior to the MR1 and it comes along with emgd.reg.

Use this version to built with bsp mr1 and if this version of emgd driver is compatible with your existing video bios the color issue will be gone.

If you wanted,you can go try play on this. Best of luck!

Best Regards,

Leon

View solution in original post

26 Replies
Kirk_B_Intel
Employee

Odd, I thought I gave you this link:

https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/embedded/software/emgd/embedded-media-and-graphics-drivers-downloads.html Intel® Embedded Media and Graphics Driver (Intel® EMGD)

(www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/embedded/software/emgd/embedded-media-and-graphics-drivers-downloads.html)

which is supposed to be the EMGD downloads page not sure why I got the overview page link.

On the downloads page, clicking the "Intel for EMGD VBIOS (build 3842) v36.2.9 (32bit)" would link to here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24905 Intel® Download Center

The reason I gave you the download page rather than strait to downloadcenter is because we UPDATE software and we keep the downloads page pointing to the latest release rather than to the static link in downloadcenter. There is another release of the VBIOS dues toward the end of Q2 (mid-year) and you need to check the download page for the new link.

0 Kudos
LTa
Beginner

First, thank you for the info. That helped.

I downloaded the file, ran the BMP, generated the MBI file, copied it to the platform files location, and build. The color is now nice, no longer yellowish. But by no mean I can get the resolutions up to 1024 x 768. I have tried the following:

(1)

/Windows Embedded Compact Settings/Multiple Configuration/Config 1/DTD for Primary Port from # 01 to # 03. And the same for Config 2, 4, 6, 8 where the display mode = single.

(2)

\Windows Embedded Compact Settings/Graphics mode to Boot on Windows:

Primary Width: 0 -> 1024

Primary Height: 0 -> 768

Depth: 0 -> 8

Rate: 0 -> 60

(3)

\Windows Embedded Compact Settings/Display Features/Display Detect: to enable.

The setting under GFX Driver Features/Graphics Mode to Boot on Windows is already set to 1024 x 768.

In any case, the display on the system always come out 640 x 480. Any idea? Pls.

Long

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Long Ta,

You probably might want to try this.

Config 1 > DTD for Primary port > change to CRT/EFP Panel # 3 (Panel # 3 has the config for 1024*768).

Also make sure you have Config 1 enabled from BIOS for these settings to take effect.

Regards,

Leon

0 Kudos
LTa
Beginner

Leon,

I did set the Config 1 / DTD for Primary Port to # 3 before, but the part where Config 1 is set in BIOS I cannot find. You are talking about the board CMOS settings, right? If so, I don't see it. The board model is made from IEI, model WAFER-BT-i1, and the BIOS is AMI. Under Chipset -> North bridge -> Intel IGD Configuration, there are 3 options:

DVMT Pre-allocated [64, 128, 256, 512]

DMVT Total GFX mem [max,256, 128]

Primary IGFX boot display [VBIOS, CRT, LVDS, DP Port]

Do I miss something here? Thank you.

Long

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Long Ta,

Yes, this is CMOS settings we are referring to. In this case we would not know whether which config had been selected or if there was any that had been selected since the options are not available.

Last thing you could try is to change the settings from display configuration on BMP.

On display configuration you have there the available displays and you can also select the panel type for each display category.

Regards,

Leon

0 Kudos
LTa
Beginner

Leon,

I did try to change that too. I changed all five of them under /Display Configuration (LFP 1, LFP 2, CRT, EFP 1, EFP 2). And set them all the configuration # 3.

Rebuild the whole thing, and it still does not work. Any other idea is appreciated. Thank you.

Long

0 Kudos