Embedded Intel Atom® Processors
Technological Conversations about Intel Atom® Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics
1149 Discussions

EMGD for various Linux distributions.

HMaru
Novice

Hi, all Linux users.

I'm a member of GMA500 team in "launchpad on Ubuntu" and also EMGD tester.

Now I'm testing EMGD v1.5 on Ubuntu Natty (11.04) Alpha-1. and our thread is here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1229345 http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1229345

and our Wiki is here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportComponentsVideoCardsPoulsbo https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportComponentsVideoCardsPoulsbo

So may I talking about EMGD environments on various distros other than MeeGo ?

ex.) Loadmap, Features, Opened Sources, KMS, libva, OpenGL, Wayland, Xorg 1.10, udev, SGX535, and more topics.

Best Regards !

tista

0 Kudos
8 Replies
HMaru
Novice

First, our Ubuntu sometimes had been developed "Rapidly". and now we stand in front of Unity/Compiz (new desktop experience based on 3D Compiz), native udev, KMS, upstart, and more features. so first we need your loadmaps in EMGD. Because Ubuntu Natty (11.04) would be released in around April 2011, we want you to let us know what happen in EMGD until April 2011 as possible you could open info... we have also "psb" driver but it had some lack of renderings in 3D. DRI, libGL, and more, so we used EMGD v1.5 as an alternative driver...

tista

0 Kudos
HMaru
Novice

Dear Intel.

Do I think "We're completely ignored by Intel" ? to be honest, all we need is SOURCE. not binary crap. we don't need damned binaries any more !!

and when do you give us your roadmap ? already natty goes through Xorg 1.10, 2.6.38 kernel. again and again we had to "downgrade" our system to fit your emgd binaries ... because there isn't any sources of emgd especially Xorg drivers, libGL, 2D/3D backend services, and dkms/KMS (still goes along HAL ? insane it. you should shift to udev).

tista

0 Kudos
Kirk_B_Intel
Employee

Sorry, your post slipped by us- we were not intentionally ignoring you.

It is fine to discuss what we call "non-POR" distributions here- we attempt to do "best case" support for any use of the driver, however, our experience and issue resolving capabilites revolve around the POR distros.

That POR is available on the IBL system or from your Intel Field Representative. It tries to detail our plans for features and OS support.

As for the driver itself, everything we can provide is already included in the package that is built by the CED utility. We do not provide loadmaps as that has never been needed for any known distribution. We provide the driver as a binary because as you have noted we do as FULL of acceleration as is practical which usually involves either IP that cannot be released as source, or other licensed technologies that we are contractually obligated to keep as binary only. Many here in the driver team believe in the Open Source concept, however, to be able to stay in business it is not always possible to fuly embrace that concept due to the IP concerns involved. If we were to release source, we would be forced to remove all of the good stuff that makes the embedded drivers better (faster and more features) than the current Open Source drivers so what would be the point there.

The best thing you can do is to influence the Intel product segment teams to adopt your distribution of choice so it becomes POR. The way to do that is to show a compelling business case for supporting such a change to POR. So far, there has not been a demostratable ROI for Ubuntu which is why we dropped it. The Linux market is so fractured and scattered that it is difficult to determine the right thing to support sometimes.

Sorry we cannot help more...

0 Kudos
HMaru
Novice

Hi, Kirk.

Thanks for your reply. then I would bring your reply back to our thread and we should make time to discuss about it.

here I also want to continue the discuss with you and all other distros users !!

Best Regards.

tista

0 Kudos
HMaru
Novice

Hi, Kirk.

basically may I ask meanings of some words ?

I need some explanations in them.

* What's mean "POR" / "non-POR" ?

* What's mean "ROI" ?

Thx.

FMcNu1
Valued Contributor I

Hello tista:

Thank you for your participation in the Intel® Embedded Community. I am the community moderator. I can answer your last question about the word definitions:

P.O.R. = Plan of Record. This means Intel's official plan with committed resources and schedules. Non-POR means something that is not planned / committed.

R.O.I. = Return on Investment. This is a standard financial concept. It means when you invest resources in an activity (such as developing a product), the Return is the business result, for example selling more of the product you develop.

I hope this helps.

Felix

J. Felix McNulty

Community Moderator (Intel contractor)

0 Kudos
HMaru
Novice

Hi Felix.

Thanks for your answers !!

and I would point your answers out to our thread.

Regards.

tista

0 Kudos
HMaru
Novice

Hi, Felix.

I have 2 questions, OK ?

1. If our Ubuntu still stays in "non-POR", let us know how we could turn POR on ? or already documented it in anywhere ?

2. we want to sync your documentations for EMGD to our Wiki. so we need such as "Direct Link to docs". Is it OK ?

Best Regards.

tista

0 Kudos