Embedded Intel Atom® Processors
Technological Conversations about Intel Atom® Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics
1149 Discussions

EMGD vs IEGD (how to do in EMGD what I did in IEGD?)

TEnge
Beginner

In the past I used the IEGD driver on a 945 graphics chipset.

Now we are changing to a E3825 processor that uses the EMGD driver and I am missing how to do some of the things I used to do with the IEGD.

1. Custom DTD files. With the IEGD, I could create and add custom DTD files and then it would create the driver I would install it into Windows and that would put the DTD info in the registry.

So does this exist in the EMGD? Looking around I found "INTEL_EMGD.BYT_VBIOS_MR4_36.2.9_3842.ZIP" and it had BMP.exe. When I ran this on my development PC it would run for a bit and then lockup.

Also it seems this solution needs to modify the BIOS. Is there a solution where I do not need to modify the bios and still get custom DTDs? ( I need custom DTDs for the cases where the monitor does not have EDID data or for the case where the CPU is turned on before the monitor is turned on.)

2. Setting the Resolution, rotation and Single/Clone/Extended via an API. With the IEGD, I used the IEGD escape commands to programmatically make these changes.

So what Api's are available in Win7 and Win8 to do this?

Thanks

Tom

0 Kudos
20 Replies
Kirk_B_Intel
Employee

A decision was made recently to align embedded drivers more closely with the operation of our general VBIOS/GOP and Drivers provided for desktop/notebook use (aka GMA or HD Graphics Drivers). As such you DID find the configuration utility 'BMP" and it does update the VBT (video binary table) in the BIOS used to configure firmware and drivers. This is the same concept used to configure the old style IEGD/EMGD VBIOS with the data needed pre-boot (for example the DTDs for non-edid display types.) This data now carries through to the driver and now allows us to do generic signing of the drivers that we could not do before (a requirement for newer OS like Win8 and 10).

All of the things you want to configure ARE in the BMP tool and as you may have found, the BMPO tool has quite a bit steeper learning curve to use. Documents are available for BMP in both VIP and CDI if you have access to those systems. We have found it is a bit more difficult to get owning division to "let go" of the docs for our customers so we are dealing with that as we can. The CDI doc # s you need are probably:

368119, 556723, 548367

A google search finds the EMGD User Guide for the E3800 which details:

• 368119 - Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator - Binary Modification Program (BMP) User's Guide Revision 3.0 or above. This document provides information on configuration of Video BIOS.

• 488363 - Intel® HD Graphics Media Accelerator - Binary Modification Program (BMP) User's Guide for GOP VBT Revision 0.9 or above. This document provides information on configuration of GOP.

As for controlling rotation and such, that is handled through the CUI interface per typical GMA/HD Graphics interfaces. Here is another document that should help (also detailed in the same EMGD user guide):

• 507988 - Intel® HD Graphics Driver – Common User Interface (CUI) Supporting 4th Generation Intel® Core™ Processor Graphics - Software Product Specification (SPS) - Rev. 1.4 or above. This document describes of all the CUI pages, features, and functions. Intel® Media SDK Developer's Guide (http://download-software.intel.com/sites/default/files/ http://download-software.intel.com/sites/default/files/ Intel_Media_Developers_Guide_0.pdf).

0 Kudos
TEnge
Beginner

Kirk,

I was not able to find documents 556723 or 548367 via a search on the intel website. So could you give me a link to it?

I looked at the 368119 doc and ran the bmp.exe (version 2.67e PV) program and loaded the Vga.dat and the bmp.bsf file (included in the zip). It opened and then I clicked on OEM Customizable Modes, then clicked on OEM Mode # 1 and then clicked on DTD. At that point the app locked up. So how do I solve the lockup problem? Are there other .dat and .bsf files I can try? Any examples files?

In the doc it talks about "Download the latest version of video BIOS files that you want to use. " So where do these files come from Intel or my board maker?

I can understand your reasoning to not change the driver because the signing stuff but now I can only added DTDs if I can get the bios from the board maker. Ah progress

In regards to replacing the Intel escape codes.... the Intel® Media SDK Developer's Guide seems to talk about how to encode and decode video. I saw nothing in it about using it to change the resolution of each output and the display mode (single, clone, twin). So could you tell me where in the document this is described?

Thanks

Tom

0 Kudos
Natalie_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi, Tom! We'll let you know when the rest of the documents are available. It shouldn't be very long. LynnZ.

0 Kudos
TEnge
Beginner

Lynn

I was able to get the documents but they did not answer/solve my three issues.

1. The bmp.exe app locks up.

2. Where to get the latest Video Bios files.

3. How to set the display mode (single,clone.twin,extended), resolution and rotation without the Intel Escape codes... I am assuming the Intel Escape codes are not supported in the EMGD since I have not seen any docs on it with the EMGD stuff.

Thanks

Tom

0 Kudos
Gabriel_T_Intel
Employee

Hello Tom,

We are sorry for the delay, we will contact you with additional information soon.

Best regards

Gabriel Thomas

0 Kudos
Kirk_B_Intel
Employee

It should not- maybe it is the mode you are running the BMP from- try running from Admin mode.

Latest code for E3800 is on the Intel VIP system (platformsw.intel.com) but that requires an NDA based account that we usually only provide to Tier 1 customers. Tier 1 customers use our IPS system, not the EDC. However, the Nearly latest code will also be available here from this page: https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/embedded/software/emgd/embedded-media-and-graphics-drivers-downloads.html Intel® Embedded Media and Graphics Driver (Intel® EMGD) Link to the E3800 downloads and look for the VBIOS download that will be in the list (and links to Intel Downloadcenter).

The BYT EMGD driver is basically the HD Graphics Driver (15.33) with a name change and some embedded enhancements. The method for setting modes and such are either through the Intel Graphics CUI (for top Tier One customers), or through standard windows calls such as:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff569533(v=VS.85).aspx SetDisplayConfig function (Windows Drivers)

example:

//Extend 

SetDisplayConfig(0, NULL,0, NULL,(SDC_APPLY | SDC_TOPOLOGY_EXTEND));

//Clone

SetDisplayConfig(0, NULL,0, NULL,(SDC_APPLY | SDC_TOPOLOGY_CLONE));

There are others for other features. Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
TEnge
Beginner

Krik,

I tried running BMP.exe as normal and Admin and still the same issue. Next I tried Win7 64 bit, Win7 32 bit, Win8.1 64 bit and had the same problem in all of them.

Looking through the docs they talk about types of files (see below). So maybe I am loading the wrong file.

So here is what I did:

I unzipped the INTEL_EMGD.BYT_VBIOS_MR4_36.2.9_3842.ZIP file and then went ran tool\bmp.exe. Once running I then load the bmp.bsf file. If I tried other files it would throw an error so not sure if I am loading the correct file or not. So which file should I be loading???

It was consistent if I clicked on "Boot Display Algorithm" then the app locked up.

"

2. Notice that there are several types of files

a. .bsf BIOS script files

b. .dat Video BIOS Data file/.bin for GOP

c. xxx_yyyy.exe Videobios

"

Also if I press Help->Contents it showed this:

So is there some installer for this app that I am missing??

In regards to the latest version what I found was this:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24905 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24905

So is this what you are referring to?

Thanks for the SetDisplayConfig function as that gives me a starting point to find all of the commands to set the display.

Regards,

Tom

0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel

Hello tom.abcd

The "Binary Data File" should be the file with the .dat extension and the other should be the .bsf

Regards,

Adolfo

0 Kudos
TEnge
Beginner

Here is the list of files that came in the zip, so I tried loading the VGA.dat and the bmp.bsf but still had the same problem.

So any other suggestions? Do you have a different .dat and .bsf file I could try?

What are the .btf files?

Regards,

Tom

0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel

Hello tom.abcd

I tested the same files that are mentioned here, and I don't have any lock up issue.

Please try the following suggestions:

1-Try downloading again the file.

2-Test the application on a different PC

Make sure that you are extracting all the files not reading them from the zip, and also check that you are running the file with administrator privileges.

The .btf files are files to store temporary changes of parameters. The .bsf file is the file that should be merged with the BIOS after you save all the configuration changes.

Best Regards,

Adolfo

0 Kudos
TEnge
Beginner

Adolfo,

I have download it again and same results. Yes I have extracted all of the files on to C: and not in the Program files directory.

I have run the app as Admin.

I have tried it on 2 computer / 3 OSs.

a. My development machine running Win7 64 bit

b. A Test machine running Win7 32 bit.

c. A Test machine running Win 8.1 64bit.

On you test which version of the app are you running? I clicked Help->About and got 2.67e PV. Also if you click Help -> Contents what do you get? I get an error message about a Bad Registry value.

Thanks

Tom

0 Kudos
Josue_C_Intel
Employee

Hello tom.abcd

We are working on your case, please stay tuned.

Best Regards.

Gabriel_T_Intel
Employee

Hello Tom,

We have sent you an email. Please confirm if it is received.

Regards,

Gabriel Thomas

0 Kudos
TEnge
Beginner

Gabriel,

The install file you sent fixes the issue - no more lockups.

Even the other copies I had just downloaded as zip files from you website work now. So I must have been missing some support file or registry setting.

So was the install available somewhere on your website?? (info for anyone that reads this thread)

Tom

0 Kudos
BHick4
Novice

Hi Gabriel,

I am having the same exact issue as Tom. Could you please send me the installer that you sent Tom or make this publicly available for all?

Thanks,

Brian

0 Kudos
Gabriel_T_Intel
Employee

Hello Brian,

Thanks for contacting the Intel Embedded Community.

We are going to contact you by e-mail.

Regards,

Gabriel Thomas

0 Kudos
DSemy
Beginner

Same here. Could you provide us with the solution to BMP lockups?

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello Dmitry.Semyonov,

Thank you for contacting the Intel Embedded Community.

In order to help you, the information you seek is classified as Intel confidential, which requires a CDNA between your company and Intel as well as a Privileged EDC account. To learn more about the benefits of a Privileged go to /www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/embedded/embedded-design-center-support.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/embedded/embedded-design-center-support.html Then click on "APPLY NOW" found under the heading, "Apply for extras with privileged access to the Intel EDC¹". After you submit the application, please let us know and we will expedite the review of your application.

Best Regards,

Carlos_A.

0 Kudos
AIvan18
Beginner

On behalf of Dmitry.Semyonov...

Since our company should already have signed NDA with Intel, we've applied for the privileged access from this main company account instead.

0 Kudos