Embedded Intel Atom® Processors
Technological Conversations about Intel Atom® Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics
1149 Discussions

Floating Point (FPU) Support in the N2600 (Cedarview) Processor?

MBuda
Beginner

Does the new Atom N2600 (Cedarview) processor have hardware floating point support (FPU) in it? The Intel® 64 and IA-32 Architectures Software Developer's Manual doesn't have any mention of this processor yet. It appears that many of the older Atoms do have an FPU. The answer to this question is critial to a new industrial automation design we are about to begin.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
FMcNu1
Valued Contributor I

Hello and weclome to the Intel® Embedded Community.

If you check out the Intel® 64 and IA-32 Architectures Software Developer's Manual, it does state that x87 FPU is supported in Atom processors, although it does not mention N2600 by model. (see section 5). Note that this doc is recently dated December 2011.

https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/dam/doc/manual/64-ia-32-architectures-software-developer-manual-325462.pdf https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/dam/doc/manual/64-ia-32-architectures-software-developer-manual-325462.pdf

Are you looking someplace else that makes you think the FPU is no longer included?

I hope this helps

Felix

J. Felix McNulty

Community Moderator (Intel contractor)

0 Kudos
MBuda
Beginner

Felix -

First off, thank you for your reply!

No, I have not seen anything explictly indicate that the FPU is not supported in Cedarview, but if you refer to the tables beginning in Vol. 1, page 2-29, there are three Atom processors mentioned, Z5XX (introduced 2008), Intel Atom (2008) and Atom 330 (2008). Since the support of an FPU is critical to our project, I was hoping to see the N2xxx (Cedarview) processors listed in this table. As you pointed out, this document has a revision date of December 2011 - you would think that there would be an explicit reference to the latest Atoms.

So far, your response is the closest one to Intel regarding this question. Do you know where I can go next for confirmation?

Thanks again -

- mike

0 Kudos
FMcNu1
Valued Contributor I

Mike

I will see if I can get someone in Intel to confirm

Felix

0 Kudos
MBuda
Beginner

Felix -

Did anybody at Intel confirm that the FPU is in the N2600? Thanks for checking!

- mike

0 Kudos
FMcNu1
Valued Contributor I

Mike -

We're real close. Please hang in there for another day or so for confirmation.

Thanks

Felix

0 Kudos
Richard_P_Intel
Employee

Hi Mike,

Yes we can confirm that the new Atom processors including N2600 have FPU.

If you require design support please feel free to use the "Contact Intel" box at the right side of the page of the Intel Embedded Design Center edc.intel.com. By requesting direct contact you will be able to work directly with Intel Application Engineers on your design.

Thanks,

Intel Support

0 Kudos
MBuda
Beginner

Thanks Richard -

That's the response that I needed and was hoping for!

Much appreciated -

- mike

0 Kudos