Embedded Intel Atom® Processors
Technological Conversations about Intel Atom® Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics
1154 Discussions

How to choose DDR3 memory for E3845

ACa
Beginner

Hello,

I am knew to this kind of designs.

Do you have any tips or infos about DDR3 memory choosing for the Atom E3845 ?

Thank you for your help

Adrien

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You can find memory specifications here:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/78475/intel-atom-processor-e3845-2m-cache-1-91-ghz.html

However, you should check the motherboard specifications as well for this soldered down BGA processor.

Doc

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Summarizing, you want DDR3L (low power DDR3) memory. Processor is validated at 1333MHz. I usually purchase DDR3L-1600 regardless. I usually purchase Crucial myself.

...S

0 Kudos
ACa
Beginner

Thank you for your response. In the page of the product it is writen DDR3L 1333, si what is the difference with DDR3L-1600 ?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

DDR3L-1600 memory is capable of running at a slightly higher clock speed. This speed is above the level validated by Intel, however, and some systems may ignore this additional capability for compatibility or reliability reasons. I purchase this faster memory because there is a significantly higher sales volume for these faster parts and thus are often less expensive. If operation at 1600MHz is problematic, I simply configure them to run at 1333MHz. For 100% compatibility, you should purchase DDR3L-1333.

...S

0 Kudos
ACa
Beginner

Interresting, how do you proceed to configure them to run at 1333MHz? Is it hardware or software side ?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

This is all done in the BIOS. 1333 is the base speed that these DIMMs want to run at. It is XMP that offers support for the higher speed bin​. You can either disable XMP support in the BIOS or manually configure for 1333.

...S

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @ACa​:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

The guidelines that may help you are stated in section 12.2, on pages 282 and 283 of the Intel(R) Atom(TM) Processor E3800 Product Family Datasheet document # 538136. This document can be found at:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/datasheets/atom-e3800-family-datasheet.pdf

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos