Embedded Intel Atom® Processors
Technological Conversations about Intel Atom® Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics
1155 Discussions

How to enable Atom E3800 PCU UART serial port in ubuntu 14.04.

pzhan18
Novice

Hi,

I am using Atom E3800 series (E3826) kontron processor core board and carrier development board. and I have installed ubuntu 14.04(64bit).

Atom E3800 has one PCU uart which is default for GPIO not for uart. and 2 high speed uarts. the other 2 high speed work well.

The PCU uart connects to ser1 (J21) in carrier board. I tried to enable it as a uart port. it seems it become a uart,but it can not send or received data.

I tried the following commands to enable PCU uart as /dev/ttyS0:

sudo setpci -s 0:1f.0 80.l=1 # according to the datesheet need enable UART_CONT.COM1EN , default is disable as GPIO; this command works! I can set the bit.

sudo setserial /dev/ttyS0 autoconfig # set up uart and make ttyS0 work. this command seems work. if find ttyS0 UART appears 16550A. use command :sudo setserial -g /dev/ttyS0 to output:

# /dev/ttyS0. UART: 16550A, Port:0x03f8, IRQ: 4

and I use cat /proc/interrupts :

CPU0 CPU1

4: 2 0 IO-APIC-edge

It seems serial port works! but it can not send or receive date. anyway interrupt counter works when i send data. but no data handled!

what's wrong?

How can I enable the PCU UART serial port in ubuntu 14.04?

anyone help?

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
pzhan18
Novice

if anybody has the same issue, please refer:

up to now,

=====================================

Unfortunately, according to User's Guide,

"HS-UARTs and SIO-UARTs cannot be used simultaneously."

It appears to be a BIOS limitation.

========================================

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello gonewithwind2016

Thank you for contacting the Intel Embedded Community.

We would like to help you, but you need to contact the manufacturer of your motherboard to receive the further help because they have all the information related to their products. Also, to receive the further drivers, because they have modified the devices where the video, audio, or other features are generated.

In order to help you, as a reference please address your problem to the following web sites:

/www.kontron.com/support-and-services/services/technical-support-services Technical Support Services

/www.kontron.com/about-kontron/company-overview/contact-us/forms/contact-support Contact Support - Kontron

http://www.kontron.com/support-and-services/support/downloads Product Downloads

Because reviewing the listed Operating System (OS) is unlisted as supported on page 3 of the http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/platform-briefs/atom-processor-e3800-platform-brief.pdf Intel(R) Atom(TM) Processor E3800 Product Family Platform Brief.

Please keep in mind that the proper drivers and support are provided by the manufacturer of your motherboard.

Best Regards,

Carlos_A.

pzhan18
Novice

Thanks. I am going to try.

any help?

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello gonewithwind2016,

You are welcome.

Our suggestion is please follow the recommendations provided by the manufacturer, because they have determined the working conditions of their projects using their tests and validations.

Best Regards,

Carlos_A.

0 Kudos
pzhan18
Novice

Thanks again.

I have contacted the /www.kontron.com/about-kontron/company-overview/contact-us/forms/contact-support Contact Support - Kontron I am waiting for the reply.

0 Kudos
pzhan18
Novice

if anybody has the same issue, please refer:

up to now,

=====================================

Unfortunately, according to User's Guide,

"HS-UARTs and SIO-UARTs cannot be used simultaneously."

It appears to be a BIOS limitation.

========================================

0 Kudos