Embedded Intel Atom® Processors
Technological Conversations about Intel Atom® Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics
1152 Discussions

I need to learn how to use the spi_pxa2xx_pci and/or spi_pxa2xx_platform LINUX device drivers to access the SIO SPI port in the Intel Atom Bay Trail processor.

MDalb3
Beginner

Ubuntu 18.04 loads as kernel modules both the  spi_pxa2xx_pci and spi_pxa2xx_platform LINUX device drivers, but there is no SPI /dev node (e.g. /dev/spidev0.0), so I am unable to access the SPI port to READ/WRITE from an external EEPROM.

Is there any document explaining how to use the  spi_pxa2xx_pci and spi_pxa2xx_platform LINUX device drivers?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @MDalb3​:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

Could you please clarify if the affected design has been developed by you or a third-party company? Please give all the details (part number, model, name of the manufacturer, where is the documentation) of the project related to this situation if it is a third-party device.

Could you please try to reproduce this situation using any of the following Operating System (OS)?

- Linux* Tizen (select in-vehicle infotainment (IVI) customers only).

- Linux based on Yocto Project* Tools.

- Linux based on Fedora* distribution.

- Wind River VxWorks*.

- Microsoft Windows* 8.

- Windows Embedded Standard 8 (non-connected standby).

- Microsoft Windows 7.

- Windows Embedded Standard 7.

- Microsoft Embedded Compact 7.

- Microsoft Embedded Compact 2013.

- Android* (JB MR2 4.3).

Waiting for your answer to these questions.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos
MDalb3
Beginner

Hi Maecenas,

The CPU board in question is a Eurotech (I am a Eurotech employee) custom proprietary design.

I also tried running Fedora 29, but I found that it does not  spi_pxa2xx_pci and spi_pxa2xx_platform LINUX device drivers (at least they don't show up in lsmod).

Under Fedora 29, there also is not created a /dev/spidev0.0 node.

Our targeted OS for this use case is Ubuntu 18.04 sever LTS.

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @MDalb3​:

Thanks for your reply.

We suggest you use the listed Operating Systems with the family of processors that you have mentioned because they mentioned as supported. You can confirm this information on page 3 of the Intel® Atom™ Processor E3800 Product Family Platform Brief that can be found at:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/platform-briefs/atom-processor-e3800-platform-brief.pdf

We hope that this information may clarify this situation.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos
MDalb3
Beginner

Thanks, I will look at that. May I be allowed to download this document please: "64-ia-32-architectures-software-developer-vol-1-manual.pdf"?

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL
0 Kudos
MDalb3
Beginner

Got it, thank you.

I will also look into either Wind River LINUX or Yocto LINUX.

0 Kudos