Embedded Intel Atom® Processors
Technological Conversations about Intel Atom® Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics
1149 Discussions

IEGD 10.3 Framebuffer Blend Mode

JChap5
Beginner

Hello, I am having trouble using the framebuffer in "blend" mode with the US15W (Atom Z510) under Moblin 2.1. I am attempting to blend a H.264 video with graphics rendered as an overlay. Color key based blending works with any issue, however, when attempting to render an OpenGL based application using its alpha value to control the transparency level, the video becomes extremely jerky due to high CPU usage. With color key blending, it renders without any glitches in the video. Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks, Jon

Edit:

I've traced the cause back to the application being maximized (rather than being caused by using alpha based blending). Does anyone know why this would cause the accelerated blending to fail?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Kirk_B_Intel
Employee

This is very odd. Going full screen should require less resources than a Windowed approach. We do back buffer flipping in full screen rather than blting which is supposed to be easier.

Can we get a copy of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf, /var/log/Xorg.0.log, and look at 'top' to see which process (X server, video, or OGL) is eating up the majority of the CPU. This will help us locate the resource hog.

THX.

0 Kudos
JChap5
Beginner

Here is my setup:

1) Using mplayer with VAAPI support.

2) libva is version 0.31.0-sds4

If I set mplayer to playback a H264 720P video fullscreen (-fs flag), everything functions properly. MPlayer is using approximately 12\% CPU and Xorg is using 122\%. Next, if I start an instance of gnome-terminal over top of the video, the video continues to playback smooth. Now if I maximize that same instance of gnome-terminal, both processes continue to use the same amount of CPU, and I can see no other process contributing to CPU load, but the video starts to become very choppy.

Let me know if you need any additional information.

Thanks for the help

Jon

0 Kudos
Kirk_B_Intel
Employee

We are looking at this.

One thing I notice is that you are attempting to use the .31 libva and the driver only currently properly supports libva .29. An update is in the near future for .31...

0 Kudos