Embedded Intel Atom® Processors
Technological Conversations about Intel Atom® Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics
1153 Discussions

IEGD and Windows 7 Embedded Standard

PUrre
Beginner

Hi,

With the availability Windows 7 Embedded Standard RC, can anyone give me an idea of timelines before the IEGD will be available on this platform?

I know the official line from Intel is that Windows 7 is not supported by IEGD and to use non-IEGD drivers. Unfortuntely, I require fine control over the blanking and timing rates coming off the LVDS port so non-IEGD drivers are not an option.

Can anyone point me to an official source for a timeline?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Kirk_B_Intel
Employee

What chipset?

For all chipsets except US15W, you should be able to install the XP driver on Win 7 and although it is NOT POR, it does work (by design).

US15W is a different story and there is current a limitation in the install that has an issue if the OS is not Vista for a required memory IO workaround needed for Win7. The code is basically hardcoded to only recognize Vista to enable the corrent workaround and on Win 7 it thinks the OS is XP and uses the wrong one.

Hopefully you are using a chipset that will function on Win 7 with IEGD

0 Kudos
PUrre
Beginner

Thanks for your reply. It's the 945 Express chipset. I'll give the XP drivers a go but I seemed to encounter problems with this last time.

0 Kudos
Kirk_B_Intel
Employee

That should work. Right click on the IEGD Setup.exe and tell it to run in XP SP3 compatibility mode and with Admin privledges.

The control panel GUI will not install (and that is OK) as you can run the IEGDGUI.EXE (in the Utilities folder in the release) to do IEGD tweaking.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
SMoja
Beginner

I have a working machine with WES2009 and a working "Intel Corperation US15 Embedded Graphics chipset Function 0"-driver from IEGD. With WES7 the driver won't install correctly ("All the components are not installed correctly. Please try installing again"). After installing the driver manually and rebooting it seems to work but the used RAM goes up from 300MB to 500MB (my machine has 512MB RAM) and without paging it won't work again. Is there a release date planned for a newer version of IEGD where WES7 is officially supported?

0 Kudos
Kirk_B_Intel
Employee

The RAM usage going up is fairly natural as we grab the memory needed to do graphics especially 3D stuff. To limit what we use, you can go into your BIOS setting and decrease the graphics aperature down from 512MB to something lower (although you may impact 3D performance if you set it too low).

The "Not all components installed properly" is just the IEGD special GUI (advanced tab of properities that we enhance on XP) not installing because it is different for Win7. You can use the IEGDGUI utility included with the driver and just run that.

We are planning proper WES7 support by the end of the year but the plans are cheanging how we roll it out. Get with your Intel Field Rep and see if they can provide you the Embedded Graphics POR update, or attend IDF and come to my Embedded Graphics class and we will have more details then.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos