Embedded Intel Atom® Processors
Technological Conversations about Intel Atom® Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics
1154 Discussions

Low cost Intel® Embedded Development Board

VARADARAJA_N_Intel

Turn your brilliant ideas into real embedded solutions with a low-cost development board based on the latest generation of Intel® Atom™ processors. The platform is based on the second generation Intel® Atom™ Processor N450 offers a small footprint modular CPU-DIMM subsystem. This processor is ideal for embedded applications that need low power and excellent application performance. This development platform includes:

• Small footprint 75mm x 100mm Intel Atom processor DIMM module with Intel® ICH8M I/O hub and single SO-DIMM DRAM socket populated with a 1 GB SO-DIMM

• VGA and LVDS display interfaces

• Dual 10/100/1000 Ethernet ports

• 5 High Speed USB 2.0 ports

• 3 Serial-ATA 3Gbps ports

• Standard EFI BIOS and integrated management firmware

• 12V DC power supply

• Carrier card

Find out more about this product at: http://edc.intel.com/Platforms/Atom-N450-D410-D510/Development-Board/default.aspx http://edc.intel.com/Platforms/Atom-N450-D410-D510/Development-Board/default.aspx

You can also place your order at: http://edc.intel.com/Platforms/Seed-Board-Program/ http://edc.intel.com/Platforms/Seed-Board-Program/

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Stewart_C_Intel
Employee

We have recently finished the safety and certification testing on the second version of this board series, featuring the D510 dual-core processor. An extra core and double the speed graphics engine when compared with the N450. The website upgrade is submitted, and the order fulfillment team is working on adding the ordering capability. The final sticky labels and doc's have shipped to our assembly house, so watch out for the new Intel® Embedded Development Board 1-D510 to be available mid march 2011. The url below will go live when the boards are ready to order.

0 Kudos
RWeek
Novice

Were there every any BIOS/EFI updates released for this board?

0 Kudos
RHolm
Beginner

I bought one... but I can't get it to boot up. What is my next step?

The board has one green LED on in the corner by the power. Nothing

else is lighting up. There is no display on the VGA monitor. I have

a USB keyboard plugged in. From the docs, it seems that it should

boot into the BIOS, but nothing. How do I get help?

Cheers,

Rich

0 Kudos
Stewart_C_Intel
Employee

Rich, what happens when you press the power button, (you did add a power button). Its sounds from your description that its just sitting there without any info on the seven segment leds.

Other things to try, are resetting the CPU card, (you will need to undo the screws holding it in place), and removing the CMOS battery. Wait a few minutes for the caps to discharge, and that will reset the BIOS to a default value, in case the CMOS RAM is scrambled.

If all else fails, send it back, (there's a form at the bottom of the shipping invoice) and we'll replace it.

http://edc.intel.com/Link.aspx?id=3836 http://edc.intel.com/Link.aspx?id=3836 has the user manual.

Stewart

0 Kudos
RHolm
Beginner

I did not add the power button... I didn't realize it was required.

What other connections are required? Are both reset and power

required? Do I need to create a circuit (if yes, i can) or is there

an intel provided connector?

Thanks for your help... I will try this tonight.

Cheers,

Rich

0 Kudos
Stewart_C_Intel
Employee

Rich, you just need to short the two pins 5 and 6 momentarily to power up the board, and then same again will shut down, so a momentary switch with a two pin 0.1 in pitch socket is all thats needed. FYI if you hold the button closed for about 5 seconds this will "force" the power off. The same header has a reset switch connection. The connector is adjacent to the 7-segment LED's, with an FPANEL silkscreen.

0 Kudos
RHolm
Beginner

Worked like a charm... thanks!

Cheers,

Rich

0 Kudos
mkora3
Beginner

Dear sir,

just few days back, I received my development board. (Atom D510). I created one bootable pen drive with androidx86. Connected VGA,KeyBoard,Mouse.

After attaching power supply, I could not see any thing on monitor. I could just see one green LED in ON state on board. No info on the seven segment leds.

Now as you said in response to similar question, "you did add a power button" . What I understand from this is, need to buy "momentary switch with a two pin 0.1 in pitch socket". As work around to this, Can I just short "pin 5 & 6" on FPANEL using some wire to power on the board? Or Can I just use jumper? In case of jumer i will just insert it and remove it.

One more thing, Does Intel supply any CDs for driver or softwares along with this board?? In some forum I read about CDs that comes with board. But i did not receive any CDs in my shipment.

Hope to hear from you soon

Thanks

Mitesh Koradia

mailto:miteshkoradia@gmail.com miteshkoradia@gmail.com

0 Kudos
MH2
Beginner

Hi,

Just got my board last Friday and I'm scratching my head over what memory DIMM to install. The documentation says 1/2G DDR2 667 SODIMM, but the slot is definitely not a SODIMM slot. What am I missing?

The link does not work, BTW.

Thanks,

Mahamood

0 Kudos
Stewart_C_Intel
Employee

The board comes with memory pre-installed on the processor card, (its hidden under the heatsink). So I presume you are referencing the connector thats labelled FLASH (J1201). That's for future expansion and is not used.

Regarding the broken link, can you say what link is broken, I need more info.

thanks, Stewart

0 Kudos
MH2
Beginner

You are correct, I did get confused by the Flash expansion.

The broken link is: edc.intel.com/go/devboard-1-d510. I get a 403 forbidden

Recommend you add a QR code to the little card that came as 'documentation' with the box. Most smartphones have a buinlt-in scanner now. It is easy to mess up typing a URL into a browsers address bar.

0 Kudos
jmart53
Beginner

Hello,

Thank you for this post, it really helped me for booting the D510 embedded board that I have recently acquired. As a first trial I am using a Hard Drive (HDD) with an Ubuntu distribution and it is working fine.

Now I am trying to figure out how I can manage to work with the Embedded Compute Module once I extract it from the Mini-ITX carrier:

a) I am looking for some storage solutions based on Flash so that I can boot an embedded Linux distribution following a cross-development environment. Is there any connector besides J1201 where I can connect some kind of flash memory on board the compute module? I thought there would be some kind of connector for CompactFlash memory for instance.

b) I have identified 3 connectors on top of the compute module (see figure below) but I do not know which is the purpose of these connectors. Can you help me?

c) How can I manage to power up the Compute Module once it is outside the Mini-ITX carrier?

Thank you very much,

Juan

0 Kudos
SZann
New Contributor I

For b) :

The white connector on the right is the 24 pin SFF XDP (jtag) debug connector (J1901 in the schematic)

The connector in the middle is the jtag debug port for the Renesas H8S2472 microcontroller (J1902 in the schematic)

The 4 pins on the left is connected to the H8S2472 (J1701 in the schematic)
0 Kudos
CGläs
Beginner

Hi,

i ordered the devboard and received it about two weeks ago - works fine so far.

I've got three questions regarding the board:

1. Is it possible to somehow disable the fan when the the system is off (State S5) but connected to power by using a bios function? If not, which I assume because i was unable to locate such a function - is it possible to add it to bios, either me myself or maybe you? Furthermore, is it possible to change the fan speed within the bios or switch it off if cpu core temp is below a certain level?

(If the function is already added in the bios, the error is completely on my side. I hope you could be kind in this case to assist me locating this function.)

2. Just as an improvement suggestion for the next board: What about a hardware switch for on/off. I presume that the board is usually used not integrated in a PC case but openly. Using a jumper is sort of annoying and adding a hardware power/reset switch would make the board unnoticeably more expensive

3. Regarding the lvds port. Has anyone tested out a lvds screen with integrated digitizer (touch screen) with this board?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Sincerly,

Christian

0 Kudos