Embedded Intel Atom® Processors
Technological Conversations about Intel Atom® Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics
1154 Discussions

Monitor detection in EGMD 1.8 for win7 fail

LTurc
Novice

Hello

config:

E600 : 1Ghz, 1 Gb ram

Video port: DVI, with chrontel CH7307

We have an application where we boot our units without monitor.

Then we may connect a monitor.

With the Windows 7 Driver, the monitor is not detected and the display remain black

If we do a mouse right click on the desktop, the display turn on

In WinXp, all works well

If we use the WinXP driver on Windows 7 it also works.

and we use the same parameters to generate WinXP and Win7 Drivers

Note: in IEGD.INF from winxp driver package, there is a config line

HKR, ALL\1\General , DisplayDetect, %REG_DWORD%, 1

and this line is not present in Windows 7 installation files

Is there a way to correct this problem for Windows 7 drivers ?

or is this a bug for Windows 7 drivers

Regards

Laurent Turcotte

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Kirk_B_Intel
Employee

Well sometimes we do not always get to do what we want. The DisplayDetect feature does not exist in the Win7 specific version of the driver and is not planned to be added.

So you can either use the Win7 version and put up with this particular operational characteristic, or use the XP version of the driver on Win7 and NOT have that issue.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Kirk_B_Intel
Employee

What is the specific version of the EMGD driver used on the E6xx on Win7?

Have you tried installing the XP driver on Win7 (yes it should work in XPDM mode but you do not get Aero support).

Have you tried adding the option to the Win7 INF file? It may not be supported but it will not hurt anything if it is not.

Hope this helps.

LTurc
Novice

>> Version of EGMD ?

Version 1.8 for both WinXP or Windows 7

>> Have you tried installing the XP driver on Win7

Yes i tried, and the problem is not present.

But the client want to use Windows 7 version

>> Have you tried adding the option to the Win7 INF file?

Yes, but it did not work !

I did a text search in the driver files but did not find the "DisplayDetect" string.

other value like "DisplayConfig" can be found.

WinXp drivers contains both keys in the driver files.

0 Kudos
Kirk_B_Intel
Employee

Well sometimes we do not always get to do what we want. The DisplayDetect feature does not exist in the Win7 specific version of the driver and is not planned to be added.

So you can either use the Win7 version and put up with this particular operational characteristic, or use the XP version of the driver on Win7 and NOT have that issue.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
LTurc
Novice

this is not the answer i was hoping for !

I would have thought that plugging a display in a netbook/laptop

and detecting it without rebooting the unit was a requirement for the video drivers.

regards

Laurent Turcotte

0 Kudos
Kirk_B_Intel
Employee

It is all a mater of targeted use case for the source base for each solution. The XPDM EMGD code was purpose built for embedded that needed capabilities like leaving an output port alive even when there is no monitor. There is a LOT of configurability designed into the driver. The Win7 specific EMGD uses a different code base where the use case values the driver doing what it thinks is right rather than what the user may want to do so we gain ease of configuration at the loss of configurability. Personally I prefer the driver do what I want which is why I use the EMGD "for XP" on Win7 rather than the Win7 specific driver.