Embedded Intel Atom® Processors
Technological Conversations about Intel Atom® Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics
1178 Discussions

N6415 Max supported package c-state

medDV
Beginner

Our company sells medical devices for hospitals and ambulance. We are in the process of upgrading the device from a N4200 to a N6415.

I did a power consumption test with the first sample and noticed there is a huge difference in battery consumption when the system is in idle. (not standby!)

Our old device with the N4200 lasts 18+ hours while the new device with the N6415 only lasts 7-8 hours. (Windows Desktop with display turned off).
So i checked what package c-states the system enters into.
N4200 system enters C6
N6415 system only enters C3 (with a NVMe instead of a SATA SSD even only C2)

Our distributor/producer told me that the N6415 is not capable of entering C6 state which i frankly don´t believe.
He also told me that with a installed NVMe SSD it only supports C2.

What is the highest supported package c-state for the N6415? Not Core C-State!

Does a NVMe SSD really prevent the package to go higher than C2?

Infos:
CPU: N6415
Idle: Windows is on the desktop, display is turned off, mobile broadband connection established but no data transfers, measure runtime until battery is depleted.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello medDV,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

We would like to inform you that we have a forum for these specific issues and products, so we are moving it to the "Embedded Intel Atom® Processors" forum so you can get better support for this matter.  

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @medDV:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

We received your request but we want to address the following question:

Could you please confirm if the device related to this situation has been designed by you or a third-party developer? In case it is a third-party device, please let us know the name of the manufacturer, the part number, and the model of the device.

We are waiting for your clarification.

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
medDV
Beginner

Hello CarlosAM,

thanks for your reply!

The device is manufactured by a 3rd party and since it is still in the sample stage, i don´t think it has a part number yet.
May i ask for what purpose do you need the name of the manufacturer?

I am not 100% sure if i am allowed to provide this information before asking the manufacturer.

I was contacting Intel because i was not able to find any information about the CPUs max. package c-state and i don´t believe that a todays CPU only supports C3 especially when the older N4200 is able to reach at least C6.

I noticed i missed an important information:

Our sample device with the N6415 uses 2 batteries with a combined 64Whr.

I also did a test with one of our other mobile devices, a Panasonic Toughbook FZ-G2 (i5-10310U) which uses a battery with 50 Whr.

On the same idle test it was running 26 hours until the battery was depleted.
I know i am comparing a mobile with an embedded CPU, but embedded CPUs are also supposed to have a very low power consumption.

I am also aware that mobile CPU might have power saving technologies that the N6415 does not have.

But 7-8 hours against 26 hours tells me there is something wrong probably with the motherboard design.

Regards and a nice weekend!

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @medDV:

Thanks for your reply.

You mentioned that you are going to use an Intel® Pentium® Processor N6415, which is an Elkhart Lake family processor, in a design that used to use an Intel® Pentium® Processor N4200, which is an Apollo Lake family member. You can confirm this information on the following pages:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/207906/intel-pentium-processor-n6415-1-5m-cache-up-to-3-00-ghz.html

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/95592/intel-pentium-processor-n4200-2m-cache-up-to-2-50-ghz.html

Due to this fact, you need to confirm with the manufacturer of the design related to this forum if the mentioned processor swapping is supported in their design.  You can confirm the comparison of these processors at the following website:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=207906,95592

However, we can provide information that should be verified by the manufacturer of the design related to this situation. These are reasons to request the name of the manufacturer.

The Elkhart Lake information that may answer your questions can be found in sections 1.3, 3.2.4, 3.2.5, and Table 3-3; on pages 18, 45, 46, 47, and 41 of the document stated in the following website:

https://cdrdv2.intel.com/v1/dl/getContent/636112

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos