Embedded Intel Atom® Processors
Technological Conversations about Intel Atom® Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics
1149 Discussions

System video response too slow when using EMGD MR1 on BSP MR1 for Celeron 2930 with WEC7

LTa
Beginner

Hello all:

This is the continuation of the previous post that I had, where I could not find the EMGD that matches the BSP MR1 for my development. I was using EMGD MR2 with the INTEL BSP MR1 and it works but there was no way I could find to how to change the resolution and adjust the color. The suggestion was to use the matching release version, which is EMGR MR1. The problem now I have is that the response of the system is too slow on the video as I open the cmd window, and start typing. It takes some 5 seconds before any character to appear on the window. And as I type, each character is slowly show. When I run dir command, it slowly displays the files. Can anyone tell me what the problem is? Thank you in advance.

Long

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Natalie_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi, Long! Is this the previous thread to which you were referring? /message/11553?et=watches.email.thread# 11553 https://embedded.communities.intel.com/message/11553?et=watches.email.thread# 11553

0 Kudos
LTa
Beginner
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Long,

I'm not so sure about what caused this issue since I haven't seen this before but now that we got issues using the older builds of the bsp and emgd.

It would be best for us to continue and try out the latest builds since fixes and improvements are made to these versions already.

Regards,

Leon

0 Kudos
KVand2
Beginner

Hi,

I was curious if you managed to resolve this? I am experiencing the same problem on Celeron J1900. MR2 (build of ) seems to improve things (certainly regarding opening the command window), but it is still too slow. Slower than the linear VGA driver.

Curiously, if we're running the debug build of the same platform (WCE7), then performance seems to be a lot better.

Best Regards,

Kristof

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello Kristof,

Starting from EMGD MR1 version the method of using the emgd.reg file in EMGD for Bay Trail had been chosen out and either VBT or MBI will be used.

The crash could be due to incompatibility with the versions that were used.

The incompatibility not only refers to the board support package and graphics driver.

Other factors include emgd.reg since it is no longer implemented and also the video bios that are used.

The color issues occur for different versions of video bios used together with the emgd driver.

The right version, which is usually the latest, needs to be used together with the bmp tool to either generate the mbi file or modify the video bios table.

Due to these facts, our suggestion is to use the latest versions for graphics driver, video bios and board support package to reduce the chances of getting issues or incompatibility.

Finally, we recommend you to update your Embedded Design Center (EDC) account to Privileged type. To request an upgrade from your Basic EDC account to a Privileged account, go to http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/embedded/embedded-design-center-support.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/embedded/embedded-design-center-support.html and click on "Manage Your Intel Profile" found in the "Manage Your Account" section of the page. From there you can request an upgrade. After you submit the application, please let me know and I will expedite the review of your application. The application can be found at:

https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/forms/intelligent-systems/registration-po.html https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/forms/intelligent-systems/registration-po.html

Please use your business email address to evade any inconvenience. Please avoid the free email provider's address (such the provided by Hotmail, Gmail, yahoo, or others).

Best Regards,

Carlos A.
KVand2
Beginner

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for responding, I will take the steps to upgrade my account.

I am using MR2 (version of december 2014), and I went through the steps with BMP in order to generate the bmi file and have the exact video timing I needed (1024x768x16bpp VGA). That went well. Going from MR1 to MR2 also fixed the boot problems I was experiencing. So basically, it is working.

The major problem I'm still experiencing is the sluggishness of the driver, which unexpectedly seems better in a debug build of WEC7.

Best Regards,

Kristof

0 Kudos
KVand2
Beginner

Dear,

Any update yet?

Best Regards,

Kristof

0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel

Hello DEADBEEF

Intel has realesed and MR3 version of the driver along with a BSP, since you have a Privileged Account, I have sent you this new version to your e-mail.

Please test it and let me know if this helps with your issue.

Regards,

Adolfo

0 Kudos
KVand2
Beginner

Dear Adolfo,

I received the BSP and EMGD MR3, and was successful in building the Windows CE7 BSP with the EMGD display driver incorporated.

To my regret, I must confirm that the video driver is still too slow in this combination. One can visually see applications drawing buttons.

I can provide a ready-built NK.BIN and a test application to demonstrate the problem.

If useful I can make a video showing the difference between EMGD and IEGD (on a different ICH7 platform).

Thanks for your help,

Kristof

0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel

Hello DEADBEEF

Thanks for your patience

Could you please provide the following information?

-What version of Visual Studio and WEC Platform Builder are you using?

-What method are you using to configure the EMGD via Video BIOS Table or .MBI file?

-Provide more details about the issue: Is the Graphic Interface always slow, or just when performing certain operations, or on a particular application?

-Is it possible for you to replicate the issue on a platform using Atom E3800?

You can send your .bin file to the e-mai: mailto:edc_technical.support@intel.com edc_technical.support@intel.com

Best Regards,

Adolfo.

0 Kudos
Adolfo_S_Intel

Hello DEADBEEF

I would like to know if you are still having issues with your EMGD driver.

If so please provide the requested information so we can continue our troubleshooting process.

Best Regards,

Adolfo Sanchez.

0 Kudos
KVand2
Beginner

Dear,

Sorry for the delay.

- we are using Visual Studio 2008 version 9.0.30729.1 sp with the WEC7 plugin installed

- we use the .bmi method, to generate a standard VGA timing of 1024x768x16bpp

- The general drawing of rectangles such as buttons is visibly slow. So a standard windows dialog box application with lots of buttons should demonstrate the problem.

- we use a commercially available ETX module with Celeron J1900 processor. We can also get it with E38xx processor. So let me know if you'd want me to order one.

Best Regards,

Kristof

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello DEADBEEF,

Thanks for your update.

By the way, we have received your email with the attached file.

We are working to provide you an update as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance for your patience and understanding.

Best Regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello DEADBEEF,

In order to find the root cause of this problem, could you try to reproduce the cited problem using a commercial application?

Thanks again for your cooperation to solve this inconvenience.

Best Regards,

Carlos A.

0 Kudos
KVand2
Beginner

Hi Carlos,

It has been a while, but I've sent you a standard, wizard generated, Windows CE smart device project, built with VS2008, that already presents the problem. Just adding a few buttons on a standard dialog window, makes the dialog appear slowly.

Best Regards,

Kristof

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello DEADBEEF,

Thanks for your update.

We will contact you via email to help you.

Best Regards,

Carlos_A
0 Kudos