Embedded Intel Atom® Processors
Technological Conversations about Intel Atom® Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics

Usage of iegdtsr.exe

idata
Employee

Hello,

I have a question about iegdtsr.exe created by CED. How should I use iegdtsr.exe?

Please let me explain more detail.

Now I try to create Video BIOS for the 965GME platform using IEGD 10.1 CED. The resolution of the LCD panel is XGA, and the physical size is 15inch. After the input of all parameters of LCD panel to IEGD 10.1 CED, I have done "generate installation". As iegdtsr.exe & VGA.BIN are created, I have run iegdtsr.exe on MS-DOS. But after it was changed to the high resolution for a second, it was returned to VGA. The color of whole screen was changed to blue...

Is this a usual? If so, how should I test VBIOS using iegdtsr.exe?

I am new for VBIOS. Sorry for the basic question.

Thank you for your cooperation.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Kirk_B_Intel
Employee

The TSR file that created is as the name implies a DOS terminate and stay resident version of the VBIOS to use for troubleshooting. It does not necessarily do a FULL initialization of the graphics (as the graphics were already brought up by the system VBIOS or EFI Video Driver). It will hook all Int10h DOS VIBIOS/VESA calls and service them once it is running.

It is really not designed to put DOS into a high res mode, but it should cause the LVDS to put out proper video (and likely upscaled to the higher resolution of the panel from the lower resolution dos modes like typical mode 3). After enabling the TSR are you getting proper video on the LVDS pnael? If so, have you tried using a mode set to pick a higher resolution DOS mode?

You really should burn the VGA.BIN into your system BIOS to see if you have it right. Make sure you have set "Fixed TIming" for the LVDS and be sure you have another port listed in the port order (like a VGA or SDVO device) just in case you do not have the right LVDS display timing.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
25 Replies
BRich9
Novice

So everybody got to chime on this while I was in meetings :)

The short story from AMI is that the digital signature used by Intel desktop products on their .BIO files will not allow the VGA BIOS to be swapped out. In the desktop market this tamper resistance is a feature Intel adds to our build environment.

However, as has been pointed out in this thread, there are several Intel Embedded Alliance members who have products that may be better suited for your application ... both in extended lifecycle and the ability to swap VGA BIOS images.

Many of the board providers in the Intel Embedded Alliance are AMI customers, using our AMIBIOS8 or Aptio products. Once you have the target board picked out get back in touch with me to discuss the tools you need to finalize your solution.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, i'm looking for a solution a while and found this thread here...

My Problem: we plan to use the D945GSEJT or a compatible successor for a automated test equipment and we plan to use the LVDS Interface provided with this Mini-ITX Board.

Actual Status: The Mainboards are here in the Lab and an AUO TFT Panel is correctly connected to the LVDS Interface for first Test Setup. The TFT stays off, no communication try by the Bios to access a possible installed EDID EEPROM, 3.3V Power is not activated on the LVDS connector. The Integrator Toolkit does allow to select the panel geometry (800x600) but not more. Enabling LVDS seems not possible (lock is grey).

Is it correctly that Intel sells this consumer Mainboards (is this product really target for comsumers???), provides a link to the LVDS White Paper (E77911-001) and then at the point you have the setup on the lab table, you get lost ? No support because "this is a consumer product" ?

Has anyone solved this issue and is operating this Mainboard with a TFT on the LVDS Interface ? If there is someone out there - please contact me.

0 Kudos
FMcNu1
Valued Contributor I

Hello, finepower:

Welcome to the Intel® Embedded Community.

Have you fully checked out the Intel support options for D945GSEJT ?

The URL to the support page is below. I assume you visited there already since you discovered the white paper for the TFT panel. However, did you notice the other support options such as "Live Chat". Follow the "Contact Support" link at the bottom left of that screen.

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/dsktpboards/d945gsejt http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/dsktpboards/d945gsejt" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/dsktpboards/d945gsejt

Just to clarify, the D945GSEJT motherboard is provided by a different group in Intel from the Embedded Computing Group. Therefore the support channel is different from the embedded products.

You will also findon that same referenced support page a link to the desktop community, which again is a different forum from where you are now which is the Embedded Community.

Hope this helps

Felix

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Dear Felix_M,

thanks for your response.

This is my main problem with Intel from view of a customer : you search for the required information for weeks, spend times in the live-chat which is not capable to help with this issue, you search intel pages for contact details but no telephone number nor email is to be found or if you do a call, the person is not responsible for your problem.

I tried now getting help by signing in for the channel partnern pogram but i have this light feeling that this even will not lead to success.

I have already searched from the motherboards homepage on, read all the papers but my question is still present :

What have I to do now to get the LVDS with the D945GSEJT and my connected AUO TFT panel to work ? Where can i get a BIOS where the LVDS settings are enabled ?

Actually I think using Intel Products for our project is a blind-end and we maybe are well advised to change now to a supplier where we get this support...

Have a nice week,

Marcus

0 Kudos