Embedded Intel Atom® Processors
Technological Conversations about Intel Atom® Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics
1154 Discussions

i915 IEGD dual independant head multiple framebuffers linux

sclar8
Beginner

We are currently using the i915 driver on RHEL 6 on a i7 620EL VME SBC. We have two displays we want to draw on independantly. We could use either extended or dual independant head mode. We do not want to use X. As such we are prototyping using directfb which uses /dev/fb0. At present the i915 is only giving us clone mode for /dev/fb0. As such we looked at using two graphics cards to give us two /dev/fb*, ie /dev/fb0 and /dev/fb1. This hardware solution has been excluded. I have a number of basic questions as I am a embedded graphics/linux newbie.

1) can i configure i915 to give us extended/DIH mode for the /dev/fb0.

2) can i configure i915 to five use two framebuffers /dev/fb0 and /dev/fb1.

3) as above for the IEGD.

Any advice or alternative solutions would greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Kirk_B_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I think you are asking for help in the wrong place. IEGD was a proprietary Linux graphics driver that supported up through Q/GM45 chipsets https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/intelligent-systems/intel-embedded-graphics-drivers/intel-graphics-drivers-specifically-for-embedded-platforms.html https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/intelligent-systems/intel-embedded-graphics-drivers/intel-graphics-drivers-specifically-for-embedded-platforms.html

It never supported the chipset graphics (series 5) for previous generation Core processors.

the i915 Linux driver is an Intel Open Source Technology Center driver which can be found and is supported here: https://01.org/linuxgraphics/ Home | Linux Graphics

If you are doing direct framebuffer type things (which we usually strongly discourage as you cannot h/w accelerate things going directly to the FB) then you should not be using the i915 driver as it requires X as far as I know.

Good luck with your project

0 Kudos
sclar8
Beginner

I have a VME PMC graphics module which has three video outs. Thus far I have successfully been using directfb with i915 without X. i915 generates a single framebuffer /dev/fb0. However the i915 by default is in clone mode.

Can the i915 be configured to support Extended or DIH without X?

If the i915 cannot support Extended or DIH then we then we will look at IEGD.

I have read the IEGD supports Extended/DIH mode, but is this without X?

I we build the IEGD for extended I assume we get a single /dev/fb0.

If we build it for DIH would we get /dev/fb0 and /dev/fb1 ?

0 Kudos
Kirk_B_Intel
Employee

Please carefully re-read our previous answer. There is no EMGD for your "Previous Gen" processor and you cannot build it as is NOT sourcecode. Addtionally, we did not add THREE display support in the graphics until Core Gen3 (Ivybridge) so you might have display ports on your board but only TWO of them can be active at one time.

Please ask your OTC question in the OTC forum. Thank you.

0 Kudos