Embedded Intel® Core™ Processors
Communicate Intel® Core™ Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics Concerns
1194 Discussions

Can I use any BIOS on Intel custom board? If yes, how?

SHona1
Beginner

Can i use any BIOS for Intel custom board? Or I have to use intel BLDK only.

What is the benifit of using BLDK?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Natalie_Z_Intel
Employee

Hello, SuhasHonamore. I am working on getting an Intel BLDK contact to address your question. Stay tuned!

0 Kudos
Natalie_Z_Intel
Employee

Here is the response from the Product Line manager for Bootloaders and Intel Firmware Support Package from Intel's Intelligent Systems Group:

As long as the BIOS is developed for the Intel CRB, then any BIOS solution can be used. BLDK is one of the solutions to bring up the board. BLDK is an alternative solution to a traditional BIOS. BLDK can

be customized to a certain extent depending on customer's design. Apart from some IP related

things, the BLDK comes as a source package.

Hope this helps!

Lynn

0 Kudos
WILLIAM_C_Intel
Employee

The Intel(R) BLDK development application provides a single integrated environment, with tools and control environments for developing customized firmware boot loaders. It includes a Graphical User Interface (GUI) to build the boot loader firmware and to customize binary images. Using the development application you can perform the following tasks:

- Create projects to customize and organize your firmware images for your specific target boards.

- Enable, disable, and configure firmware features in a binary image without removing code from the image.

- Utilize Boot Setting Files (BSF), to establish a known configuration as a derivative of the base image on new binary images.

- Use the built-in source code editor with syntax highlighting for source-level changes of boot image when source code is available.

- Initiate source-level builds of an image when source code is available by spawning a build process.

0 Kudos
FrankVanWeerdenburg
New Contributor I

Hello SuhasHonamore,

Why do you want to use ANY BIOS?

In case you like to evaluate BIOS, for example to be used on your own design board then BIOS of Phoenix Technology is a perfect solution.

For Europe+ you can contact ELTAN for customizing such BIOS.

Best regards,

Frank

mailto:fweerdenburg@eltan.com fweerdenburg@eltan.com

0 Kudos
SHona1
Beginner

We are building the Intel custom board, for that Can I use BIOS given for other Intel reference board.

0 Kudos
FrankVanWeerdenburg
New Contributor I

The BIOS of an Intel reference board as is (the binary file) might boot on a custom

board of the same Intel platform (processor/chipset), but this depends on how

much the hardware features of this custom board deviates from the Intel

reference board. Typically for each new board design the BIOS is customized for these hardware

deviations. Secondly, what software features of the BIOS do you require?
0 Kudos