Embedded Intel® Core™ Processors
Communicate Intel® Core™ Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics Concerns
1204 Discussions

Initial programming of SPI flash for WG82574

AFrid
Beginner

Hello,

I am designing in WG82574 with NVidia Tegra K1. And I have few questions:

1) which NVM is better to use: SPI flash or EEPROM?

2) What means are there to initially program the blank device from item 1 soldered on the board?

Would appreciate any help on that.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello Anatoly_Fridman,

Thank you for contacting the Intel Embedded Community.

In order to determine the proper NVM to your design, the information stated in Table 25, on page 54 of the http://www.intel.com/content/dam/doc/datasheet/82574l-gbe-controller-datasheet.pdf Intel(R) 82574 GbE Controller Family Datasheet may help you to define the device that better fit to your needs.

Could you please paraphrase or explain in detailed way your second question?

Thanks in advance for your collaboration to answer your questions.

Best Regards,

Carlos_A

0 Kudos
AFrid
Beginner

Hi Carlos,

thanks for replying. I do have the data sheet and saw the tables. My first question is related to the second in a sense. I want to know how to initially program the NVM. If I can do it in ARM embedded system with one only, let say EEPROM, then I will use EEPORM. If I can do it with flash, then I will use flash. If I can do it with any, my next question will be if I use EEPROM do I still have to use flash? If the answer is yes, then I prefer flash since it is one chip vs. two.

My second question is about means to program in embedded ARM environment soldered down blank NVM chip (whatever is used EEPROM or flash). Is there a utility for ARM processor to program the NVM chip? What should be implemented in h/w in order to program the chip? I couldn't find this kind of information in the data sheet. The information is more for s/w, not for h/w implementation. So, if the NVM is blank, will the chip be enumerated on PCIE bus? And then by running the utility and specifying a configuration file will program the NVM?

Could you help me in understanding that?

Thanks,

Anatoly

0 Kudos
Gabriel_T_Intel
Employee

Hello Anatoly,

We have sent you an email. Please confirm if you have received it.

Regards,

Gabriel Thomas.

0 Kudos
AFrid
Beginner

Hello Gabriel,

I have received the email.

Thanks,

Anatoly

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Gabriel Thomas,

We are using WG82574 Gigabit Ethernet Controller in our design with ARM processor.

We also have similar question about the initial programming of EEPROM/Flash.Could you help me in that.

mailto:aadhilmn@iwavesystems.com aadhilmn@iwavesystems.com is my mail id.

Thanks and Regards,

Aadhil.

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello Anatoly_Fridman and Aadhil,

Thanks for your reply.

The information stated on the past July 23, 2015 at 12:10 PM to answer the forum Carlos_A

AFrid
Beginner

Hi Carlos,

I've got some "picture" from the thread and have more questions:

1) the thread is about I210. We are going to use 82574. I am not sure how different those from s/w stand point are.

2) I understood that there is no s/w tool for ARM/Linux for programming flash NVM.

3) I understood that there is ARM/Linux tool to program EEPROM NVM.

Could you clarify the item # 1 and confirm/or clarify items 2 and 3?

Thanks,

Anatoly

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Carlos,

Thanks for your reply,

We are using EEPROM in our design.I have the below queries ,please clarify

1) Whether eepromARMTool can be used to do initial programming to blank external EEPROM in case of 82574? if yes please provide the eepromARMTool tool for ARM/Linux.

2) My understanding is the configuration file will be in .Hex file and eepromARMTool is required to program the .Hex file into Blank external EEPROM .Please let me know is this understanding is correct ? if yes where can i get the configuration .Hex file ?

Thanks and Regards,

Aadhil.

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello Anatoly_Fridman,

Thanks for your reply.

The information that may help you is stated in the third of the section 2.1, on page 6 of the http://www.intel.com/content/dam/doc/application-note/ethernet-controllers-common-design-checklist.pdf Avoiding New Design Errors When Using Intel(R) Ethernet Controllers document # 319069.

In case that you will have more questions, please address them to the https://communities.intel.com/community/wired Forum: Wired Ethernet | Intel Communities in order to further answer them.

Please let us know if this information is useful to you.

Best Regards,

Carlos_A

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello Aadhil,

Thanks for your reply.

The information that may help you is stated in the third of the section 2.1, on page 6 of the http://www.intel.com/content/dam/doc/application-note/ethernet-controllers-common-design-checklist.pdf Avoiding New Design Errors When Using Intel(R) Ethernet Controllers document # 319069.

In case that you will have more questions, please address them to the https://communities.intel.com/community/wired Forum: Wired Ethernet | Intel Communities in order to further answer them.

Please let us know if this information is useful to you.

Best Regards,

Carlos_A

0 Kudos