Embedded Server
Consolidate Considerations of Intel® Xeon and Atom server Hardware, Firmware, Software, and Tools
262 Discussions

Reference Design for Broadwell-DE with Inphi CS4227 10GbE PHY

FFalt
Novice

I am working on a design based on a COMe Type 7 module with an Intel Broadwell-DE processor. The design should contain SFP+ modules as 10GbE interfaces.

As far as I read in the Inphi CS4227 PHY documentation, which is supported by Ethernet controller in the Broadwell-DE, there is an Intel reference design kit, which includes the CS4227 with a 10GBase-KR interface to the Broadwell-DE CPU.

May you please provide the reference schematic for it?

Thank you,

Florian

0 Kudos
5 Replies
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @FFalt​:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

The information that may help you is stated in section 9.2.2 and Table 9-3; on pages 190, 191, and 189 of the Grangeville with Intel(R) Xeon(R) Processor D 1500 Product Family Platform Design Guide [PDG] document # 543448. This document can be found when you are logged into your Resource & Design Center (RDC) privileged account at the following website:

http://www.intel.com/cd/edesign/library/asmo-na/eng/543448.htm

The RDC Account Support form is the channel to process your account update request or any inconvenience related to the provided websites. It can be found at:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/forms/design/contact-support.html

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

FFalt
Novice

Dear @Mæcenas_INTEL​ 

Thank you for referencing to the PDG. This helps at least a little to get an overview.

Still a lot of details are not solved by that document.

Both the Ethernet Controller as well as the PHY are capable of MDIO and I2C. The COMe module even has a separate I2C bus for the SFP+ module.

Can I use MDIO for the PHY and I2C for the SFP+ module or is it required to use I2C?

The COMe module I have is preprogrammed with the Firmware, which is dedicated for the optical PHY.

With the Intel lanconfig64e.efi tool, I can see that the Ethernet controllers are detected as x552, the EEPROM is programmed.

Anyway, may I please receive the Intel FW image dedicated for the functionality to be sure that I have the correct file?

Thank you,

Florian

FFalt
Novice

By the way, the document referes to another one:

"For more detail refer to Intel® Trabuco Canyon CRB Reference Schematics (IBL #559379)."

How can I get access to this one? This might answer all my questions.

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @FFalt​:

Thanks for your reply.

The Trabuco Canyon Customer Reference Board [CRB] Beta 1 Schematics -document # 559379 can be found when you are logged into your Resource & Design Center (RDC) privileged account as well at the following website:

http://www.intel.com/cd/edesign/library/asmo-na/eng/559379.htm

The RDC Account Support form is the channel to process your account update request or any inconvenience related to the provided websites as we mentioned.

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

FFalt
Novice

Thank you a lot for the document. From the schematic point of view, my design appears to be Ok.

I measured the I2C bus, which should connect the Broadwell-DE SoC via level shifter to the CS4227 PHY, but it appears there is no signal at all.

The module with the SoC I received has a preprogrammed LAN controller. The supplier told me that version 1.13 is flashed.

May I please receive the images with version 1.13 as well as the latest imaga available?

Thank you,

Florian

0 Kudos