Embedded Server
Consolidate Considerations of Intel® Xeon and Atom server Hardware, Firmware, Software, and Tools
262 Discussions

Using an embedded Xeon D for a low power server/NAS?

tlary
Beginner

I've been thinking about setting up a new server to replace my drobo NAS and my Intel NUC. I want something low powered that I can put in a tower case. I came across the Xeon D 1518 a while ago, it's low powered at 35 TDP, and even has 10Gig NICs as well. I was thinking of throwing an LSI card in there for the hard drives and then running ESXI and install FreeNAS on there and pass the disks through.

I don't really run a lot of VMs because my plex server and download server can make out the Intel Nuc I have. I hope this will be an upgrade from my dual-core to this quad core system.

Do you guys have any experience or tips for this?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ltar0
Beginner

I've been thinking about setting up a new server to replace my drobo NAS and my Intel NUC. I want something low powered that I can put in a tower case. I came across the Xeon D 1518 a while ago, it's low powered at 35 TDP, and even has 10Gig NICs as well. I was thinking of throwing an LSI card in there for the hard drives and then running ESXI and install FreeNAS on there and pass the disks through. UC Browser SHAREit Appvn

I don't really run a lot of VMs because my plex server and download server can make out the Intel Nuc I have. I hope this will be an upgrade from my dual-core to this quad core system.

Do you guys have any experience or tips for this?

i think you must youtube this!

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @tlary​:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

The information that may help you is stated at the following website:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/servers.html

In case that may need the suggestion of an Intel device feel free to fill out the form stated at the following website:

https://plan.seek.intel.com/SMARTForm_ICS

Best regards,

@Mæcenas_INTEL​.

0 Kudos