Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

82579LM Gigabit VLAN Support?

TomPark
Beginner

Hi Guys,

I am trying to get VLAN's working with the Intel 82579LM Network card, I have installed the Advanced Network Manager but the VLAN option never shows up.

I am running Windows 10 Professional 1809 Build x64.

If this card doesn't support VLAN's or there isn't a way that I can get this working with Windows 10 are there any recommended Network Cards that I can purchase that would support VLAN's?

I appreciate any feedback anyone can give.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Caguicla_Intel
Hello TomPark, Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. The Teaming and VLAN features in PROSet for Windows device manager have moved, as Windows 10 1809 and later no longer supports this function. Please use PowerShell to create VLAN. To create a VLAN in PowerShell use the following: 1. Open Windows Powershell as administrator. 2. Import the PROSet Powershell* module using this command: Import-Module -Name "C:\Program Files\Intel\Wired Networking\IntelNetCmdlets\IntelNetCmdlets" 3. Type "Get-IntelNetAdapter" to display the name of your network adapter. 4. Type "Add-IntelNetVLAN" to initiate the creation of VLAN. When prompted for "ParentName", you can use the name of your network adapter from the "Get-IntelNetAdapter" output. The PowerShell commands for Intel PROSet are described in the following link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000023545/network-and-i-o.html Let us know if you have any other questions. Best regards, Crisselle C Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Caguicla_Intel
Hello TomPark, Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. The Teaming and VLAN features in PROSet for Windows device manager have moved, as Windows 10 1809 and later no longer supports this function. Please use PowerShell to create VLAN. To create a VLAN in PowerShell use the following: 1. Open Windows Powershell as administrator. 2. Import the PROSet Powershell* module using this command: Import-Module -Name "C:\Program Files\Intel\Wired Networking\IntelNetCmdlets\IntelNetCmdlets" 3. Type "Get-IntelNetAdapter" to display the name of your network adapter. 4. Type "Add-IntelNetVLAN" to initiate the creation of VLAN. When prompted for "ParentName", you can use the name of your network adapter from the "Get-IntelNetAdapter" output. The PowerShell commands for Intel PROSet are described in the following link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000023545/network-and-i-o.html Let us know if you have any other questions. Best regards, Crisselle C Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Diginet
Beginner

Hello Crisselle,

I followed the steps You mentioned but I got an error message. Can You help me to configure the vlans to our server that was working with vlans for year even with windows 10, but now we cannot use them?

I'm attaching the error.

Thank You

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel
Hello TomPark, Please let us know if you were able to create VLAN using PowerShell. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Best regards, Crisselle C Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
AZama2
Novice

Why there is no *.inf file for 82579LM in 23.5.2?

There is support in NDIS62, NDIS63, NDIS64, NDIS65 (which is previous versions of Windows) with device ID in file e1c6Xx64.inf

VEN_8086&DEV_1502

The path is

PRO1000\Winx64\NDIS62\e1c62x64.inf

PRO1000\Winx64\NDIS63\e1c63x64.inf

PRO1000\Winx64\NDIS64\e1c64x64.inf

PRO1000\Winx64\NDIS65\e1c65x64.inf

But in folder NDIS68 (which is latest Windows 1809) there is no such lines in inf files.

So it seems you are not supporting 82579LM in latest drivers for 1809 build. Prove me wrong.

0 Kudos
TomPark
Beginner
Hi guys, The powershell commands fixed my issue. All working thank you
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel
Hello AZama2, Intel® 82579LM Gigabit Ethernet is not supported in SW 23.5.The latest version available for 82579LM was SW 23.4. Please let us know if you have any other questions. Best regards, Crisselle C Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
AZama2
Novice

There is no information on this in release notes for 23.5, 23.5.1 and 23.5.2. You did dropped support for some ethernet cards, but 82579LM is not on the list. Are you sure on this???

So please either change release notes or bring the support back as it intended.

Do you want to say that there is no way I can create vlans on 82579LM in 1809? I really hope there is some mistake.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel
Hello AZama2, With the release of Windows 10 RS5 (1809) the network connection 82579LM has in-box driver support only. However, full support was available for 82579LM with 23.4, meaning ANS and drivers for teaming and VLANS were available for 82579LM in 23.4. Please try to use SW 23.4 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28415/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=47620 Please let us know if you have any other questions. Best regards, Crisselle C Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
AZama2
Novice

"Please try to use SW 23.4"

As you know, SW 23.4 !!!DO NOT SUPPORT!!! Windows 1809 in terms of teaming and vlans

So how am I able to create vlans in Windows 1809 if you dropped support for this card???!!!!!

What the solution for this situation?

I need vlans in Windows 1809 on 82579LM in our organization.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel
Hello AZama2, Thank you for the reply. You may want to try to install SW Version 23.5 over 23.4 Please visit this link as a reference as the steps performed by another customer as a workaround for this matter is here: https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P000049Vkf8SAC/network-adapter-driver-v235-doesnt-install-on-the-latest-windows-10-version-1809 Please let us know if you have any other questions. Best regards, Crisselle C Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
AZama2
Novice

Ok, last question

Could you officially declare dropped support for 82579LM in some official statement? Not by an answer on forum

0 Kudos
AZama2
Novice

I tried to update Windows to 1809, install drivers from 23.4, install ANS from 23.5. But it hangs on Add-IntelNetVLAN command.

Add-IntelNetVLAN -ParentName "Intel(R) 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection" -VLANID 29,30,292,905,3400

Add-IntelNetVLAN : Failed to add one or more of the specified VLAN IDs.

строка:1 знак:1

+ Add-IntelNetVLAN -ParentName "Intel(R) 82579LM Gigabit Network Connec ...

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo         : InvalidOperation: (IANet_PhysicalE...SKTOP-H3H0S1B"):CimInstance) [Add-IntelNetVLAN], Exception

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Error executing cmdlet.,Intel.PowerShell.Network.VLAN.AddIntelNetVlan

Do not tried to do clean install of Windows 1809 - I cannot afford it on work.

0 Kudos
KieranYu
Beginner

hi AZama2

does your problem solved ? i met also the same issue with you for my 82579LM. 

OS version: 19042

Driver : 12.15.31.4

ANS : 23.4.0.19

when i run command of Add-IntelNetVLAN under the powershell, my computer will be shutdown and then reboot. 

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel
Hello AZama2, Please visit this link for Windows® 10 Support for Intel® Ethernet Adapters. We have added 82579 as inbox driver support only starting Windows 10. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000020905/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html Please let us know if you have any other questions. Best regards, Crisselle C Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
moT
Beginner

I have done a lot of testing with this since I had a new build that I could wipe a couple times. I have an 82579LM in my HP Z420 workstation that I received from a customer who had upgraded, and wanted VLAN support. I tried installing the 23.4 drivers and then upgrading but the software kept claiming I didn't have an intel NIC, along with various other solutions mentioned. I did not want to have to use powershell, and I found a way that seems to have worked.

I installed the Intel Network Adapter for Windows 10 x64, 23.4

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28415/Ethernet-Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10

Then I downloaded and unzipped the Complete Driver Pack, which somehow still lists the 82579LM (you may not need to actually download 23.4 first but I did so I'm mentioning it).

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22283/Intel-Ethernet-Adapter-Complete-Driver-Pack

I ran the Autorun.exe file and just went through the prompts, and at the end I was offered the option to open the Intel PROSet Adapter Configuration Utility which had the Teaming/VLANs tab, and I was able to create VLANs. It seems this kills the native (untagged) VLAN which is fine.  I tested this on Windows 10 LTSC 2019, which is the same as Build 1809.

0 Kudos
ddrs
Beginner

Hi I tried to install 25.2 version on windows 10 enterprise version 1809. But this fails. "Cannot install drivers. no Intel(R) Adapters are present in this computer".

Computer has a 82579LM and 82583V adapter. The teaming worked fine in windows 7. The machine is now upgraded to windows 10 and I'm not able to setup teaming anylonger.

Release notes mention "windows modules installer service needs to be enabled" when proset fails to install. This doesn't make any diference. It still cant find the adapters...

Best Regards D.

0 Kudos
KieranYu
Beginner

hi CrisselleF_C_Intel

does your problem solved ? i met also the same issue with AZama2 for my 82579LM.  when i run command of Add-IntelNetVLAN under the powershell, my computer will be shutdown and then reboot. 

i tries the other version of ANS, like PROWinx64_24_2, PROWinx64_25, all doesn't work.

i have seen the support product website (Supported Operating Systems for Retail Intel® Ethernet Adapters),  it says 82579LM win10 is support in box。

i have seen another help instruction by uninstall Network Sharing Center->Change Adapter Setting-> Properties's Advanced Network Service. then install PROWinx64, still not work. 

can you give me suggestions ? 

by the way, following this the version info: 

OS version: 19042 - win10

Driver version : 12.15.31.4

ANS version : 23.4.0.19

0 Kudos
w530
Beginner

i want install vlan driver

0 Kudos