Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4852 Discussions

928-Fatal PCIe error detected when installing X722-DA2 to HP8G4 workstation

hondayu
Beginner

Hello. 

I am currently setting up workstation for post production customer.

Work station is HP Z8G4. 

When installing Intel(R) Ethernet Network Adapter X722-DA2 to PCIe slot,  LINK Down error detected as below:

928-Fatal PCIe error.
PCIe Surprise Link Downerror detected on Slot 6. B:98 D:0 F:0

Error detected almost everytime when coldboot PC, but after press the Enter key windows boot normally and works fine. 

There is 6 workstations and same error detected with all of them. 

There is embedded Intel X722 LAN port and we disabled it for a solution even though it is no complete solution.

But during mounting those PC to rack at customer site one PC detected LINK down error again. 

if someone experienced same issue or there is any solution it is very helpful. 

thx. 

0 Kudos
10 Replies
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Hondayu,

Thank you for posting on our Intel® Ethernet Communities Page.

We are sorry to hear about the issue that you are experiencing with your network adapter.

To better assist you, we need to get some logs from your system. It will tell us the different driver versions and components installed on your system. We would like to ask your help to provide System Support Utility Logs (SSU) from your system. You may download the software from this page, https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/91600/Intel-System-Support-Utility. Please download the software which applies to the Operating system that you are running on your system. Once you have downloaded it, kindly run it, and you will have the option to save the logs to a text file. Please attach the text file to your reply to this email.

Additionally, we need to determine if the adapter is an Intel® retail adapter or if it is a unit distributed by Original Equipment Manufacturers. Kindly provide us a photo of the sticker on the item or if you are unable to do so, kindly provide us the PBA number of the adapter. You may refer to this guide for more information https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005625/services.html#Lnp.  

We look forward to hearing from you. If we do not get your reply, we will follow up after three business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
hondayu
Beginner

Dear Alfred

Thank you so much for your reply.

Here is the information I got from QR code on Ether Adopter card.

------

Product Name
Intel(R) Ethernet Network Adapter X722-DA2
Product Code: X722DA2
PBA Number: K20564-001
MAC Address: F8F21EBD4E00
Manufacturing Date: Week 37 2020
Manufacturing Location: Malaysia (AD)

-----

I will share logs once I get but it may be after 3/20 due to customer schedule.

Is this ok for you? 

Thanks,

Yuki

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Hondayu,

We appreciate the time that you took out of your busy schedule to provide us the initial information that we have asked.

Friday should be fine. If you require more time, just let us know, and we will accommodate your request.

We look forward to your reply. Should we not get your response, we will follow up after three business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Hondayu,

We are just following up.

It looks like you need more time to provide the information that we asked.

We will follow up again after 3 business days. Should we not hear from you, our system may automatically close the thread.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
hondayu
Beginner

Hi AlfredoS

Here is the information you requested. 

Thank your for waiting.

If there is any founding, please let me know. 

Have a nice day!

hondayu 

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Hondayu,

Thank you providing those information.

Please allow us some time to check on this. 

We will get back to you no later than 3 business days from now.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Hondayu,

Thank you for your patience in waiting for an update.

Due to the complexity of the issue, please allow us more time to check on your concern.

We will try to get back to you with an answer no later than 3 business days from now; although, we will reach out to you in case we need more information or if we already have developments regarding your concern.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
hondayu
Beginner

Hi Alfredo S

Thank you so much for your reply and thank you for working this complex inquiry. 

I will wait your reply. 

Let me know if you need more information. 

Regards,

hondayu

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Hondayu,

Thank you for waiting for our update.

While we were checking, we noticed that you already have a case with us with the same issue, 04994062.

Please continue to coordinate with our team on that case.

We will be closing the thread since it is a duplicate.

We hope for your understanding on this one.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
hondayu
Beginner

Hi Alfred S.

Yes I created the case about the same issue.

But in case 04994062 the only answer I got from support is "the issue is not due to intel NIC, check with vendor”. 

I asked them to provide rational reason why they say the issue is not due to Intel NIC, but they just keep saying "check with vendor".

I don’t know what Intel support have investigated and how they conclude that the issue is not due to Intel X722NIC.They never asked about PC spec which issue is going on, never asked to get info from PC like you. 

It will be really helpful if you could check information I updated in my previous post and update me what is going on. 

If there is no flinging after investigation it is ok.

I will then check with vendor with your investigating report. 

Customer is claiming about LINK down error. 

Hope you can help me. 

Thank you, 

Yuki

0 Kudos