Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4864 Discussions

Bootable Image for NVM Upgrade X550

flynhawaiian
Beginner

What is the best suggestion for using a bootable image to upgrade the NVM on the X550 Ethernet card?

I used a debian live usb; however I ran into "access denied" when attempting an upgrade.  The card is specifically used for a router deployment.  So is there a bootable image where I can do the upgrade simplistically.

Thanks

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello flynhawaiian,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

For us to proceed checking your query, please provide the following information. 

1. Is the X550 embedded on your motherboard? If yes, please share the brand and model of the board used. If no, kindly provide the PBA of the adapter. You may refer to the link below on where to find the PBA number. It consist of 6-3 digit number located at the last part of the serial number. This would help us identify if you are using an Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) or retail version of Intel Ethernet Adapter.

Identify Your Intel® Network Adapter Model Using PBA Number

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007022/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

2. Can you share the reason why do you need to update the NVM of your X550 adapter? Do you encounter issues with it? If yes, please share some details for us to better understand the issue. 

3. You mentioned that you encountered "access denied" when attempting an upgrade on your X550. With this, can you please share the steps on how you are applying the update? What is the tool you used and where it was downloaded from.

Awaiting to your response. 

Should there be no reply, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
flynhawaiian
Beginner

I feel as though there's a failure to read the post.  Not appreciating a generic response when you could provide actual information.  Intel provides update NVM firmwares; in an attempt to correct the bug issues your company put out in the first software I installed the NVM.  There has been a significant difference in performance.

I explained in my post what I did.  You need to read the post and determine how to best address the issue.  As I said is there a bootable image from intel where we can do the upgrade.  The questions you have provided are arbitrary and do NOT effect the outcome of this question.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello flynhawaiian,

We sincerely apologize if you felt that we haven't read your post. We go through your question and have asked the information on our initial reply for this reason.

1. Is the X550 embedded on your motherboard? If yes, please share the brand and model of the board used. If no, kindly provide the PBA of the adapter. You may refer to the link below on where to find the PBA number. It consist of 6-3 digit number located at the last part of the serial number. This would help us identify if you are using an Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) or retail version of Intel Ethernet Adapter.

Identify Your Intel® Network Adapter Model Using PBA Number

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007022/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

We have requested you to provide the PBA and asked if the X550 is embedded on your motherboard as this would help identify if you are using an Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) or retail version of Intel Ethernet Adapter. 

For OEM version, we may need to refer you to your manufacturer later on to obtain the software you may need as the utility/software available on our website are intended for Retail version of Ethernet adapters. The software drivers linked from our page are generic versions, and can be used for general purposes. However, Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) might have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to the software or software packaging they provide. To avoid any potential installation incompatibilities on your OEM controller, Intel will recommend that you also check with your OEM and use the software provided via your manufacturer.  

It is important to confirm if you are using an Intel Ethernet adapter and not an embedded or OEM because based on Readme file on this link.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19358/28336/non-volatile-memory-nvm-update-utility-for-intel-ethernet-network-adapter-x550-series.html?product=36773

Limitations and Prerequisites

=============================

This package is intended to be used on Intel branded adapters. Please contact

your OEM vendor for an appropriate package. In some cases this package may

update an OEM device. This package only updates the NVM image for the device

family listed on the package. Each Intel Ethernet product family has its own

NVM Update Package.

2. Can you share the reason why do you need to update the NVM of your X550 adapter? Do you encounter issues with it? If yes, please share some details for us to better understand the issue. 

You have answered this already on your latest reply and advised us that there has been a significant difference in performance.

We need to know if you encountered issues with the adapter to further investigate the problem and ask the additional questions such as 'Is the issue encountered during initial integration? If no, is it working fine before? And are there any software or hardware changes prior to issue? We may also need to check if this is related to hardware or OS/software compatibility issue. 

3. You mentioned that you encountered "access denied" when attempting an upgrade on your X550. With this, can you please share the steps on how you are applying the update? What is the tool you used and where it was downloaded from.

Can you confirm if you used below link when you mentioned that you encountered "access denied" when attempting an upgrade on your X550.

Non-Volatile Memory (NVM) Update Utility for Intel® Ethernet Adapters 550 Series—Linux*

Please also be informed that Debian is not validated OS in case you are using a retail version of Intel Ethernet Adapter.

Supported Operating Systems for Retail Intel® Ethernet Adapters

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025890/network-and-io/ethernet-products.html

Feel free to let us know if there are additional questions or clarifications

Looking forward to your reply. 

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
flynhawaiian
Beginner
Again you aren’t reading this. Do you have a bootable image where I can just do the update.

I’m using the x550-t2 adapter; never said it was built in to the motherboard.

I booted up using a live usb drive. Opened a terminal and logged in as root. Ran the nvm64e program and got access denied.

As stated I am wondering if there is a bootable image intel has to do the update without issues?
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello flynhawaiian,

Thank you for the reply.

Please allow us to further check your query. Rest assured that we will get back to you as soon as possible but no later than 2-3 business days. 

Hoping for your kind patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello flynhawaiian,

Thank you for the patience on this matter.

Please be advised that after further verification, we regret to inform you that it is confirmed that we do not have a bootable image for upgrading the NVM. But there is also an alternative way to update firmware. It is the NVM update package for EFI if your system can boot to EFI Shell.

Non-Volatile Memory (NVM) Update Utility for Intel® Ethernet Adapters 550 Series—EFI

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19363/non-volatile-memory-nvm-update-utility-for-intel-ethernet-adapters-550-series-efi.html

We will also be more than glad to assist you on the "access denied" issue that you are encountering however we may need more details about it. It would be helpful to us if you can provide at what point in the process does the error happen?

Thank you very much for your patience and cooperation.

Awaiting to hear from you. 

Should there be no response, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello flynhawaiian,

Good day!

This is just a follow up to check if you have read our update. If yes, kindly confirm and let us know if wish to troubleshoot the "access denied" issue. If yes, kindly share at what point in the process does the error happen?

Feel free to let us know if you have additional questions and clarifications on this matter.

Hoping to hear from you soon. 

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't receive a reply. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello flynhawaiian,

How are you doing?

Please be informed that we will now close this request since we haven't received any response from our previous follow ups. Just feel free to post a new question if you may have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Thank you for choosing Intel and stay safe!

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
flynhawaiian
Beginner

You stated there was no image available.  Nothing else can be done.  Guess this is the reason many companies are moving to amd.  Thanks again for not helping.

0 Kudos